• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hep C drug treatments

2toned

Greenlighter
What are current statistics on Harvoni and insurance providers giving prior authorization for a patient to receive medication ?

I was told by my pharmacy that a 24 week treatment of Harvoni has a $32,000 price tag with my BCBS Texas insurance, with a $5000 co-pay. I told him I couldn't afford it. He told me to call BCBS and talk and ask for a coupon or help with paying for the drug.
In short, they agreed to pay for the whole treatment for $39.00 a month!
If you are having a problem paying for Harvoni and have BCBS insurance, call them, they will help you pay for it.

I don't know if this is a taboo here, but quite a lot of people are getting the generic equivalent from Asia, so I heard.
It works out, legal, for one, and 1,500$ delivered, for two, for 3 months supply.
If I'm refused it that's my "other option".
Or you can go and get it from there, which would be healthy fun, too.

When I had BCBS the dr had to get a prior auth on it but they covered it completely. I had already met my deductible for the year or I would have owed a portion of it. Each pill was over $1,000/cash so I'm really thankful the insurance approved it. You can also contact Gildead (the mfg), they have a patient assistance program which your doctor can help you with.

Also wanted to say I had help c for 8-9 years, liver function was horrible, high viral load and I only did it for 12 weeks and it did it for me. My liver enzymes and function are within range, two years later. Seriously, I love this drug. No side effects for me, either.

Those treating hep c these days are very fortunate to have this available. I treated in 2008-2009 with 45 weeks of interferon and ribavirin. Had a very high viral load and stage 2 liver damage at biopsy, less than two years after contracting it. The success rate I was looking at going in was about 45%, with high viral load, relapse, and inability to finish due to debilitating side effects all factors as well.

I cleared the virus in 4 weeks, which was incredibly rapid for my viral load, and was the best indicator of ultimate success. I lasted 45 of the 48 weeks before the doctor decided I had lost too much weight (60 pounds) and being a rapid responder pretty much negates the importance of those last three weeks.

Physically, it was absolutely brutal. To this day I don't know how I got through it. The fatigue and round the clock body pain alone were enough to completely incapacitate me for the duration. Oddly, however, while that therapy is known to cause devastating depression, it did the opposite to me. As deathly ill as I felt physically, mentally I felt what can only be described as a natural high unlike anything I ever imagined possible. Insanely enhanced cognitive function, constant state of optimism, retention of vast amounts of information in short periods of time... it was nuts.

Ultimately, I stayed clear. 6 months post treatment I tested negative and my doc said I no longer needed to see him. I got tested again years later and was again negative, with totally normal liver function.

If you care to at some point, read through some of the horror stories people tell while being on interferon/ribavirin therapy.

God awful. But worth it in the end.