• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Narcos

GenericMind

Bluelighter
Anyone watch this new Netflix show about the rise of Pablo Escobar? I couldn't stop watching and ended up watching the entire season over the weekend. Can't wait for the 2nd season.

p11993086_b_v7_ab.jpg

I've been pretty impressed with Netflix's original programming so far. They've come out with some pretty damn good shows. At least as good, or better than, a lot of network shows that have been coming out. I hope they keep it up. Still looking forward to new seasons of Marco Polo and Peaky Blinders.

I agree I watched this over two days last week. It was a very compelling watch and I can't wait for the second series. Awesome.

Just watched the first episode. Pretty good actually. Nice to have a show to get into.

I've been watching this occasionally. I think I'm somewhere around episode 4 of season 1. It's a good show, well written, not another cheesy drug series. Something about it though just doesn't have me hooked yet.

Binge watched this earlier. Good stuff although too much voice-over for my taste and the LE characters were a bit generic. A docudrama in the real sense of the idea but kind of needed to decide how much of a documentary and how much of a drama it wanted to be. It seems Pablo Escobar is a hot topic for TV drama these days, so too Carlos, which is in my lineup of next things to watch.

Another similarly topical show on Netflix is Pablo Escobar el patron del mal, in Spanish, a Colombian production with English subtitles available, but probably better if you understand Spanish because the subtitles aren't the best, they're OK, by no means an impediment to enjoying the show I think. Narcos very clearly derives some elements from this show although it is much more extensive (50+ hour episodes.) It is more in the format of a telenovela but with much better acting and production quality (El Señor de los Cielos, again on Netflix, is kinda fun but more in line with the usual production values of the format, btw the subtitles are even worse ...)

Anyway I'd recommend it if you have the patience for the length and especially if you understand Spanish.

Last edited:
i liked that they included some archive footage with the show, i had never grasped that he was pretty much a terrorist until i watched it.

Ya this show is awesome. Almost all subtitles but is worth it I finished it in like 3 days. I suggest Gotham aswell

I am on episode 5 right now, and am quite enjoying it. I think that the first episode has been better than the succeeding four episodes so far, which I hope changes. Part of that could be because I have been doing work on my laptop tonight from episode 2 onward, which makes it difficult for me to catch all the subtitles.

I stopped using cocaine in 2010 and usually avoid films and movies that are focused on it to avoid cravings, but have had none so far with this show.

Continuing with Escobar, el Patrón del Mal on NetFlix. It was clearly a source for Narcos. It is not particularly fast paced and I get the impression that this is to talk about the breadth of the history of that time. Appropriately enough, after all. each episode opens with que no conoces su historia está condenado a repetira (who is not aware of the past ...) On looking again, there are 74 episodes, one hour each, I'm on #15 and there is good and there is bad. The pace is sometimes plodding and melodramatic, after all the format is a daily telenovela, but the production quality is really high and the actors are excellent at least in terms of this category of TV programs. The subtitles aren't perfect but are completely adequate to convey the plot but if you've had a year or two of Spanish some of them will be discordant. The sets are great, almost all of the women are beautiful, there is not so much action and violence as one might think (at least so far), and the characterization particularly of Pablo is excellent. Andrés Parra, the lead, does an incredibly job of capturing Escobar's simultaneous charismatic appeal, sociopathy, and a certain, deeper, vulnerability visible only in a few scenes here and there. I am loving this series although not every episode captures my attention wholly, but being that those are one out of 74, who can complain? I am far from fluent but I can understand a decent amount of Spanish so that helps, but I'd really encourage others to check it out regardless of your language proficiency. It is an interesting bit of history and some strong actors and characters.

fig,heather_grey,mens,ffffff.2u1.jpg

Pretty bad ass T-shirt.

Preferimos una tumba en Colombia a un calabazo en los Estados Unidos.

We prefer a grave in Colombia to a cell in the United States.

Despite the evil done under this slogan, they kind of had a point...

Continuing with Escobar, el Patrón del Mal on NetFlix. It was clearly a source for Narcos. It is not particularly fast paced and I get the impression that this is to talk about the breadth of the history of that time. Appropriately enough, after all. each episode opens with que no conoces su historia está condenado a repetira (who is not aware of the past ...) On looking again, there are 74 episodes, one hour each, I'm on #15 and there is good and there is bad. The pace is sometimes plodding and melodramatic, after all the format is a daily telenovela, but the production quality is really high and the actors are excellent at least in terms of this category of TV programs. The subtitles aren't perfect but are completely adequate to convey the plot but if you've had a year or two of Spanish some of them will be discordant. The sets are great, almost all of the women are beautiful, there is not so much action and violence as one might think (at least so far), and the characterization particularly of Pablo is excellent. Andrés Parra, the lead, does an incredibly job of capturing Escobar's simultaneous charismatic appeal, sociopathy, and a certain, deeper, vulnerability visible only in a few scenes here and there. I am loving this series although not every episode captures my attention wholly, but being that those are one out of 74, who can complain? I am far from fluent but I can understand a decent amount of Spanish so that helps, but I'd really encourage others to check it out regardless of your language proficiency. It is an interesting bit of history and some strong actors and characters.

Bump because this is a really fucking good show, I'm a little more than halfway in now ... it's getting darker, Escobar is looking more unstable and dangerous, bloodthirsty even, now more violence and ugliness, showing the darker side of what Escobar becomes in his terroristic war against extradition ... riveting stuff showing us several perspectives on a country being torn apart by powerful forces of illicit commerce and the prevailing society, with violence being the rule of the day.

It seems there's been some controversy over this show gloriftying the narcotraficantes, much like there is concern I suppose over American gangster shows and films, except for how tightly bound this particular narrative is to very recent living memory in Colombia. I can understand that. But I, so far from what I have seen from this show, every bit of sympathy is given to Pablo as a man with his family, and so on, but then as his actions go beyond that, he becomes increasingly a monster. One is reminded of Machiavelli's distinction between private morality (evend never take it's natural course ... too many disparate interests and conflicting groups ...) religious devotion, as is practiced by numerous characters on the show) and the amorality of the necessities of achieving the goals of the state (or, in this case, the "non-state actor" criminal enterprise, who's goal was more or less to be left alone to earn their profits, but of course even if this did eventuate, it couldn't create any real humane and liveable situation for the ordinary person, despite some of the Leftist rhetoric and Robin Hood displays of the Extraditables.)

Herein lies an interesting lesson for today's young idealistic Konkinian "counter-economics" practicioners, those who laud bitcoin and crypto and Silk Road and all the associated nonsense ... when their is enough money, i.e. when the economy is big enough, you attract enough attention and then you are faced either with men with guns or becoming men with guns, and the situation has an almost invariable tendency to escalate. There have been times and places where a certain equilibrium exists (some times in the history of the drug market in NYC, some Southeast Asian situations, some more or less transient Mexican political alliances between state and nonstate alliances), but there is a real and chronic instability.

Last edited:
Watched the whole series over a week. It is a well acted and presented angle on the story I think. However it's still the same old story of the Medellin Cartel which movies like Blow already covered. I enjoyed it but it was no Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad.

Oh man, you're in for a treat. Carlos was fantastic, I thought.

I'm almost through it it's decent but I dunno if it's fantastic. It's dramatic enough, I'm enjoying it, but I feel it glorifies, or glamorizes, the man too much. The depiction of his politics is incredibly superficial, which is probably true to the depth of his actual politics ... he was a sociopathic terrorist, clinging to certain ideals, with a certain charisma and, at least according to the miniseries, had his way with a lot of women, and in this way I guess compares a bit with Escobar, but I find this series a little bit wanting in terms of depths with which the antihero is presented is, at least with regards to the last I mentioned (Escobar, El patrón del mal), but I didn't find Édgar Ramírez as compelling as Carlos. Maybe I just find Escobar the more compelling historical character. Regardless Carlos was more than worth a watch, and I'd recommend it.

finished it in a night. was good. never knew about escobar really. i like that it showed both sides. wasn't biased. very educational. highly recommend.

I like it, but the writing is deplorable. Very unevenly paced. A real cocktease they end it with him in prison and we have to wait for season two to finally see the conclusion. A cheap ploy to get people to come back