• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can anyone possibly help me please? I'm peeing blood, and really scared :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomb319

Bluelighter
(I know this is long - much longer than I intended, so I bolded the most important part in case you would rather skip most of this)

Yes I know - don't ask here, go see the doctor. While I will if I absolutely have to, I really REALLY do NOT want to for something like this...just the thought is giving me worse anxiety than the condition itself.

Anyway, here's what happened: I've been on mathadone for over 18 months, and it has ALWAYS caused uriniary retention to a degree. I'm on a high dose of 220 mg as some of you may know. Anyway, it never is too much of a problem; I used to save up my doses and take extra once or twice a week, during which time it became much worse (harder to piss), but that was quite long ago.

I started to have some mild pain (which felt like it was localized in my urethra or possibly lower bladder) during a prolonged sexual encounter (think blue balls lol). I didn't think too much of it at the time, since afterwards it went away. But when I took my first pee afterwards, I saw a drop of bright-red blood at the bottom of the toilet bowl :/. That was yesterday evening. I've pissed several times since then; each time the stream begins with blood - enough to make it a very obvious red color - but only at the very beginning. After the first several drops are out, the urine becomes perfectly clear and normal looking again. The blood is always a bright red, and only at the very start.

I thought I had some symptoms of a urinary tract infection last week, but it's so hard to tell because of the methadone. I had more trouble than usual getting it going, it looked cloudy on several occasions (but this has always happened occasionally as long as I can remember), and I did feel a touch of transient pain/discomfort that felt as if it were coming from the urethra or lower bladder/prostate area...I also had an inexplicable swelling of my right lymph node of my neck, to the point where it became quite tender and sore. That and all other symptoms resolved more or less after a few days, and so I thought no more about it until this happened last night.

Obviously, I figured those signs could point to infection..however I'm in no pain or discomfort now at all, my body temperature is totally normal, no swelling in my neck (not even sure if this can happen in a urinary infection as it's such a distant site..)...so the only issue is the few drops of blood still present right as a start urinating. Do you think that suggests it isn't a problem with my kidneys or anything, but lower down in the urethra as it feels/felt??

Another couple potentially critically important points: I had an entire bottle of Tums calcium several days ago. Stupid move I guess, but as they're fruit flavored and sold everywhere, I just figured it wouldn't hurt you to take as many as you want since there are no restrictions...just pee it out. Yet all that calcium makes me worry about kidney stones being a potential culprit..although again, the blood seems to be coming from inside my wang or maybe a bit higher..it's hard to tell. One more thing is that I had a very bad withdrawal reaction when I prematurely ran out of Clonidine last week. I felt typical opiate withdrawal symptoms, but had a VERY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE of up to 160/125 with a pulse of 133 when I measured it several times at the pharmacy!! Very scary. Though to be perfectly clear, I did take it while VERY anxious from the w/d, the situation itself and asking the pharmacist for an early refill, and just from anticipating the result. I had also just walked down there. Is it possible transient hypertension could have caused this??

Anyway, I would just really like to know if anyone else has experienced this before..I haven't, and it's quite scary :( Since so many of us have used opiates and experienced urinary retention, I figured odds are good someone might know what could be happening, even if they hadn't personally had it happen to them. Do you think that the fact that the blood is only present for the first second while urine is clear after that, means it probably isn't something very dangerous? Since it doesn't appear to be coming from kidneys, I don't have continuing blockage except from my anxiety and stress, I'm not in any pain (nor was I before my methadone dose for the day), and I took my temperature last night and this morning and it was completely normal.

I really appreciate advice, suggestions and stories if anyone can! Again, it's important to me to stress that I am obviosuly completely aware that going to see the doctor is essential if it doesn't go away. However, I have a VERY strong aversion to doing this with this particular problem...I only want to go should I absolutely have to, if there were no chance of whatever this is clearing on its own. I just can't express how anxious I feel at the thought of a doctor pulling down my pants and examining me there..! Stupid, maybe. But it goes back to my childhood when I was around 11 and scared the doctor would want to do that. I have never had any doctor/nurse or other professional need to examine that area ever since. Another thing - first, I'm really sorry if this is TMI, but we're all guys here: given my high anxiety already, and what would be much worse additional anxiety should I have to go, I'm extremely averse to having a dr. see me like that, because we all know what anxiety/fear does to it's size... :O yeah it sounds stupid even typing that, and they're professionals. Still, I can't help feeling that way.

I really appreciate any advice and thanks so much for taking the time to read this. It ended up being much longer than I thought it would (snicker). If anyone has had this happen to them, or suspects that they know what's causing this, any info is much, much appreciated...I'm now just playing the waiting game to see if the blood goes away or significantly decreases. I suppose that if I absolutely had to, I will go to the clinic. I'd still like to ask about this first :)

If it's a UTI think you shouldn't worry about it, if it's coca cola colored you should worry and have the doctor or hospital check protein levels in urine. I highly doubt you'd get it but that would be called rhabdomyolsis, I got it once and it's BAD. Good luck

If it's a UTI think you shouldn't worry about it, if it's coca cola colored you should worry and have the doctor or hospital check protein levels in urine. I highly doubt you'd get it but that would be called rhabdomyolsis, I got it once and it's BAD. Good luck

Thanks so much for replying, my good sir :) Isn't rhabdomyolysis a muscle-wasting disease?? But why, do YOU think it could be?? Based on all my symptoms?? I thought that the blood appears to be coming from inside the urinary tract (AND FEELS like urethra). Once again: Upon initiating a urine stream, a small stream of BRIGHT RED is first to be expelled. After that, it looks like completely normal urine - until the next pee time :(

I'm just...ugh. Sad I guess... :(

Anyone? Please, I just really want to know whether or not that particular symptom is potentially dangerous, warrants going to the hospital or clinic right away, AND how common it might be - if any bluelighters have had this. The latter is highly relevant, in my opinion because many of us have or are using opiates, which cause urinary retention. What I really need to know/confirm: since this began last night, any blood has been bright red, comes out immediately as the very first thing while trying to take a leak (fairly deep red at first, but mixed with urine as well). After several drops or a tiny stream, there is NO discernible blood while going properly, and no visible issues with the urine in general. Again, I also don't have a fever or even pain.

Please tell me...IS this a sign of a much less serious situation, where my kidneys aren't involved, not a tumor etc.? If in fact my past symptoms ARE indicitave of a UTI, is it possible/common for it to go away on its own?? PLEASE guys! Not to sound like a weirdo or anything, but I am terrified of going to the hospital or doctor. I would REALLY like to know that information if at all possible :)

Thanks so much guys for helping a brother out :):) <3. Of course I'm happy to do the same thing, should anybody ever request my help or opinion (I'm a pharmacist with 10 years post-secondary, and of course have my own personal experiences with the beast that are opiates).

Go to the hospital, an overdose of calcium carbonate can cause lots of bad effects, including changes in urination. Why would a pharmacist think it is okay to use an entire bottle of tums in one day?

Last edited:
Go and see a doctor dude opiates cause muscle tissue to deplete as they are a CNS depressant. The first reply is spot on.

The rhabdomyolsis was from Acetyl Fent, 2 people got it in my area also and the substance is POISON. I doubt methadone would cause it unless your taking too much. If you start to notice bad back pain and muscle weakness then get your ass to the hospital asap. Sounds like a UTI, which I know not much about sorry

Go and see a doctor dude opiates cause muscle tissue to deplete as they are a CNS depressant. The first reply is spot on.

None of my symptoms are being caused by purely the methadone - that I know for sure. I've been on opiates in some form or another, legally and illegally for about 8 consecutive years now! Clonidine is relatively new, at two months. It caused a terrible hypertensive rebound last week where my BP shot to 155/125 with a pulse of 133 - no joke. I had horrible opiate withdrawal as well, despite having taken my normal methadone (from not taking the clonidines). Man was that brutal! Just as bad as opiates. In fact, when I went to the pharm practically begging for an early fill, I can tell she didn't believe me. She saw how crazy sick and agitated I was, so she prob thought I was using recreationally, or else taking a bottle of clons at a time...

I'd sat Kidney Trauma. If you stop the stupid stuff. Should be o.k. in a day or two but I'd be in the E.R. already play-in stupid because a Kid I used to know used to go and prick his finger and put into his urine just to get pain meds at the E.R. Kidney stones are really painful

I would DEFINITELY Go To your Doctor Best And Only Advice there Is For this Kind Of Subject Sorry. =/

Can't really see it being a kidney thing since the bleeding is almost certainly coming from the urethra or I suppose, possibly lower bladder or prostate. Kidneys seem fine. No pain anywhere, no fever, urine itself is normal...I just went on a really long and hopefully healthy walk. I also bought capsules of powdered cranberry from the pharmacy. I never normally buy shit like that, but I have heard it's goot for the urinary tract. Anyways, it does seem to be going away *prays*. When I go to the bathroom now, there's still blood at first, only now it just looks like a couple drops that are slightly darker yellow with a red tinge instead of a disgusting and scary stream of red. After that discolored drop or two, it is again completely normal looking, not retained, no burning feeling of having to go again, etc. Maybe it WAS a mild infection that is simply run it's course. Antibiotics are such a recent invention, and I'm sure many, MANY people had all sorts of infections that cleared on their own!

Maybe it's actually good in a way - for the immune system. It can't hurt to give it a little exercise once in awhile. The sickest kids with the most allergies are the ones who are raised in sterilized, dirt-free homes.

I really do appreaciate all the advice. Thanks so much guys :)

Ok, I'm a doctor, although Genito-urinary is not my specialty, however, I know a fair amount. First of all, having no pain is EXTREMELY common, especially in men. It's called being "Asymptomatic," and simply means you have *something* but with no symptoms other than the blood in your particular case, which actually IS a symptom and which you SHOULD be concerned about.

1. If it is a UTI, it generally does NOT go away by itself, because UTIs are most commonly bacteria related, and bacterium do not just disappear without treatment (simple antibiotics). Where you got that idea from, I'm afraid to know. An untreated UTI can travel up to the kidneys and decimate them - all with no pain whatsoever. This very thing happened to me when I was 17 and I ended up in end stage kidney failure (all without a drop of pain) and had to have dialysis. Fortunately, I was young and otherwise strong and I mostly recovered, but my right kidney has had chronic problems ever since (I'm now 52). I've had kidney stones that developed in the right kidney (anyone who has ever had to pass a stone will likely tell you they prayed for death the entire time. I sure did).

2. If it's not a UTI, it could be an STD, also which will NOT go away on its own.

3. You could have a small polyp somewhere along the line which becomes irritated at the beginning of urinating because that's where the most concentrated amount of Uric acid collects and as it dissipates, the polyp is no longer irritated and the bleeding stops.

4. There are myriad other possibilities, and just because you are too self conscious to see a doctor is insane and self destructive behavior. This could be a simple problem with a simple solution, and sticking your head in the sand could up the ante and turn it into a death sentence.

Women have (or should) see their gynecologists on a regular basis, problem or not, and having pelvic exams and Pap smears and mammographies sn't exactly a walk in the park, but they do it because they know being proactive is being preventative and that's the SMART way to go.

So, for Christ's sake, buddy, man the fuck up and go have yourself checked out. Or suffer the consequences.

I can not believe you have not been to your GP or the ER yet. Just because you stopped presenting blood in your urine does not mean the root of the problem was solved. This could very well be a kidney stone getting ready to pass, I had a friend in rehab who got addicted to PKs b/c he got like 2 kidney stones a month since he turned 14 (shitty situation) so of course he got really hooked even thought he still has pain meds his wife is in charge of them and he drinks insane amounts of lemonade.

Any ways, he said before he would feel the pain he would always start seeing a little blood in his urine and that is how he new one was coming. I believe it is in your best interest to go get it checked out. Even worse, it could also very well be an STI/STD and if you make love to multiple partners you could be spreading this around. You did mention you noticed it during intercourse.

Be responsible and go get checked out.

Bomb, I just re-read some of your posts and I must say, your ability to rationalize away potential problems is quite stellar, my friend. And even more unfortunate. If your computer started acting wonky, you'd bring it in for a little look-see, would you not? Why won't you treat your body and health with the same respect you'd afford a hunk of electronics? And further, as a freakin' pharmacist, Holy Crap (!!!) you should know better. I'm completely and utterly flabbergasted by this behavior, I must admit. But hey, may the Force be with you. Keep us posted.

PS: you know, it could even be cancer. I'll say that's unlikely, but not impossible. Stranger things have happened, right?

Bomb, I just re-read some of your posts and I must say, your ability to rationalize away potential problems is quite stellar, my friend. And even more unfortunate. If your computer started acting wonky, you'd bring it in for a little look-see, would you not? Why won't you treat your body and health with the same respect you'd afford a hunk of electronics? And further, as a freakin' pharmacist, Holy Crap (!!!) you should know better. I'm completely and utterly flabbergasted by this behavior, I must admit. But hey, may the Force be with you. Keep us posted.

PS: you know, it could even be cancer. I'll say that's unlikely, but not impossible. Stranger things have happened, right?

lol, well addicts are the kings of rationalization. Given the opportunity we could convince ourselves to take heroin for a paper cut. Took me a lot of therapy to be able to stop doing that, as well as being compulsive, and lying. When I first got clean I was so use to lying that I would lie about things that wouldn't even get me in trouble, just because I had nothing to lie about anymore. The drug is not the only thing you have to recover from, it is all the behaviors that go along with it.

Damn, Mad Dash, I'm starting to think we've had the same experiences and the same outcomes leading to us constantly agreeing in posts... I should just let you say it. He's right ya know? It's likely a UTI, easily fixed with antibiotics. But what if it isn't?

Listen to Mr. Dash, he knows of what he speaks well.

Status
Not open for further replies.