Writing-up Research study about codeine (painkillers and cough syrups)

Depends on which narcotic analgesic we're comparing the Codeine to, but there are cases in my opinion, yes.

Am I the only one who (despite the exact same dosages) notices a different high from Codeine based on the manufacturer of the pill that I've ingested (e.g. brand name 'Tylenol #4 with Codeine' vs. a generic version)? I've thought long and hard that it may be a placebo-type effect, however, I strongly believe that not to be the case anymore after so much time and such a wide and frequent range of doses over the years.

Actually... now that you mention it. In the past when I've been prescribed Tylenol #3 (#4 is just a higher dose per-pill), I found it be much more sedating, and "dopey". Gave me some very vivid and odd dreams as well. I was just recently prescribed Cheratussin for having a horrible case of double-pneumonia. I was taking more than prescribed (mainly because 20 fucking milligrams of codeine doesn't do fuck). And when I drank 120MG's worth of codeine in the form of Cheratussin, it felt more stimulating than Tylenol #3.

But compared to the amount of stimulation you get from Hydro... not even in the same ballpark, and compared to Oxy? Not even the same fucking sport! But yes I did feel a difference as well.

Actually... now that you mention it. In the past when I've been prescribed Tylenol #3 (#4 is just a higher dose per-pill), I found it be much more sedating, and "dopey". Gave me some very vivid and odd dreams as well. I was just recently prescribed Cheratussin for having a horrible case of double-pneumonia. I was taking more than prescribed (mainly because 20 fucking milligrams of codeine doesn't do fuck). And when I drank 120MG's worth of codeine in the form of Cheratussin, it felt more stimulating than Tylenol #3.

But compared to the amount of stimulation you get from Hydro... not even in the same ballpark, and compared to Oxy? Not even the same fucking sport! But yes I did feel a difference as well.

Then my suspicions appear to be true, and as such, and for many years now, I remain truly bewildered as to the possible reason(s) why Codeine seems to exert its narcotic effect in such a seemingly fickle manner. I'll have to continue researching this phenomenon which has been somewhat of a buzzkill at times.

In contrast, my experience with the consumption of other (more potent) µ-opioid agonists (both semi-synthetic and [fully] synthetic) such as Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Hydromorphone, Heroin and Methadone have never affected me in such a fluctuating, unpredictable manner, but I digress.

Hi there,

My name is Andreas Kimergård and I’m a researcher at King’s College London (UK). I’m doing a study about the use of codeine and I’m looking to recruit people who have taken codeine in the last 3 months to complete an online survey. The survey will take about 15-25 minutes to complete. You must be over 18 to take part. Taking part is confidential and anonymous.

The purpose of doing the study is to obtain information about the use of codeine to ensure the availability of harm reduction information. The survey contains questions about the use of codeine, for medical and non-medical reasons and in the form of tablets and syrups obtained with a prescription, ‘over the counter’ or in some other way. The survey also includes questions about cold water extraction.

If you have any questions about the study, I can be contacted at [email protected]. I’ll also do my best to respond to questions and comments posted in this thread.

The study will be open from 1 August 2015 to 15 January 2016. The study was approved by Psychiatry, Nursing and Midwifery Research Ethics Subcommittee (PNM RESC), King’s College London.

If you are interested in participating please click here to find out more and complete the survey:

https://kings.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/codeine-online-survey-drug-forums

If you know someone who you think should be made aware of this study, please share the survey link.

Thanks very much for your time,

Andreas

Would this not lead to a confirmation bias? granted some folks misuse prescription pills - but if you're asking on forum where most folks are taking drugs recreationally isn't that going to mess with your results aren't you going to be largely getting a biased sample. I hope this is proper research, and not the PC brigade looking for a confirmation basis to scream look we found a link codeine is being prescribed by GPs and folks are abusing it. Not saying those are your intentions, but just throwing that out there. Good luck, anyway.

Am I the only one who (despite the exact same dosages) notices a different high from Codeine based on the manufacturer of the pill that I've ingested (e.g. brand name 'Tylenol #4 with Codeine' vs. a generic version)? I've thought long and hard that it may be a placebo-type effect, however, I strongly believe that not to be the case anymore after so much time and such a wide and frequent range of doses over the years.

I'm on the same page on this with you, at first I thought it was a placebo. But, since I am on them for medical reason, it was not too hard for me to try keep the variables low. Empty stomach vs full stomach, time of day, how much sleep I had etc, etc. After doing all this, I swear some brands of co codamol I felt gave me a more rapid onset.

Just to add, I did another thing, since the tablets were identical, I mixed them up. So even I didn't know which one was which, and guess what, I took two (60 mg codeine 30 X 2) and after about 13/15 minutes even after 30 minutes I noticed my pain was still about the same, just a little lower. And now that I am on my prefered brand I notice they work properly and my pain goes, and I can relax for a little while. It feels the same with Valium (on lower doses) but I don't have enough experience to categorically say that is the case.

This was very interesting, I only used codeine once in the last three months but I still completed it for the sake of things :9

Reading some of those questions made me wish Codeine was more readily available OTC in the US :(
*sigh* I wanna live in England dammit. Even Canada for god's sake.

Would this not lead to a confirmation bias? granted some folks misuse prescription pills - but if you're asking on forum where most folks are taking drugs recreationally isn't that going to mess with your results aren't you going to be largely getting a biased sample. I hope this is proper research, and not the PC brigade looking for a confirmation basis to scream look we found a link codeine is being prescribed by GPs and folks are abusing it. Not saying those are your intentions, but just throwing that out there. Good luck, anyway.

Has anyone read the PDF that is meant to be downloaded before taking the survey?
Here are two quotes from it...
The aim of the study is to collect data to exaime factors relating to codeine use, including which and how codeine containing medicines are being used and sourced, and characteristics of users, including dependent and non-dependent.
and...
The results of the study will help to increase the evidence base, which will be of potential benefit to people who decide to use codeine and in the development of public health responses.

Sounds to me like this survey which will have a result bias may be used to further limit OTC/Pharmacy only codeine in the EU as this is also being done on behalf of the EU.
I'm going to do the survey now even if this is what I think.

WARNING I WAS RIGHT! AT THE END OF THE SURVEY IT GIVES YOU A LINK TO A SITE THAT THEY'RE DOING THE SURVEY ON BEHALF OF - http://www.codemisused.org/

Please don't take the survey!

Last edited:
I am actually taking stronger medications. I am sorry to waste your time. However, I am with a pain management doctor, on a pain management contract and he and his team take care of the Atlanta Falcons Team. I was lucky to get him. He is not a quack. He has actually helped me. Stronger pain medications I can answer questions about. Thank you

Thanks K-OOS!

The survey link is posted on a number of websites, Facebook, Twitter and email lists (such as King’s student and staff email listings). Bluelight is just one site out of many, and the only dedicated drug forum involved. The responses which have been received so far reflect this approach and include individuals who rarely take codeine, through to people using it more regularly, and also people taking it for recreational purposes. I hope this clarifies the issue you bring up of a potential bias.

As day-to-day manager of the study, I can assure you that there is no hidden agenda. It’s not the ‘PC brigade’ on the move! The study aims to improve treatment options (for opioid dependence) for those who seek help. It appears that a number of people are unsure of what to do when they end up in a situation they can't manage and feel they don't get much help from their GP. The study is also about making sure that harm reduction advice is available.

Let me just thank all Bluelight users who have completed the survey so far. The study is open until mid-January so please pass on the survey link to others who might be eligible for participation.

Best, Andreas

[email protected]

However, doctors warn that there is little evidence showing benefits of codeine in cough remedies, and the risks associated with codeine use in over the counter cough suppressants may be "particularly unnecessary" because of the lack of evidence.

One of the most balanced and stable times I have had taking opiates daily was on OTC codeine in New Zealand. I found a low dose of about 60 mg per day was enough to keep all my cravings at bay with zero WD symptoms. I also gained 7 pounds over 30 days. I think it should be made available as an common OTC med in the states.

Suboxone and methadone have serious side effects that negatively impact my ability to get a job. I find codeine has some of the least amount of GI side effects. I am more regular and have a better appetite if I take say 60 mg of codeine compared to 1 mg of buprenorphine. Addicts should have access to other types of shorter acting opiate replacement medications when treatment with other stronger narcotics have cause serious unwanted side effects. I will not be taking the survey and encourage others to do the same.