Writing-up Research study about codeine (painkillers and cough syrups)

Akimergard

Greenlighter
Hi there,

My name is Andreas Kimergård and I’m a researcher at King’s College London (UK). I’m doing a study about the use of codeine and I’m looking to recruit people who have taken codeine in the last 3 months to complete an online survey. The survey will take about 15-25 minutes to complete. You must be over 18 to take part. Taking part is confidential and anonymous.

The purpose of doing the study is to obtain information about the use of codeine to ensure the availability of harm reduction information. The survey contains questions about the use of codeine, for medical and non-medical reasons and in the form of tablets and syrups obtained with a prescription, ‘over the counter’ or in some other way. The survey also includes questions about cold water extraction.

If you have any questions about the study, I can be contacted at [email protected]. I’ll also do my best to respond to questions and comments posted in this thread.

The study will be open from 1 August 2015 to 29 February 2016. The study was approved by Psychiatry, Nursing and Midwifery Research Ethics Subcommittee (PNM RESC), King’s College London.

If you are interested in participating please click here to find out more and complete the survey:

https://kings.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/codeine-online-survey-bluelight

If you know someone who you think should be made aware of this study, please share the survey link.

Thanks very much for your time,

Andreas

Last edited:
Just did it (im a US resident though) it was awesome everyone should check it out. only took 10mins max

Thanks to all of you for completing the survey. I really appreciate it. And we welcome participants from all countries.

Andreas

Done.

Am I the only one who prefers a higher dose of Codeine, to a low dose of say... Hydrocodone, or Oxy?

Thank you kindly for all the responses to our survey. It’s greatly appreciated. There's room for more :)

Andreas

On it. ;)

/e: Done.

Done.

Am I the only one who prefers a higher dose of Codeine, to a low dose of say... Hydrocodone, or Oxy?

/E2: probably.. =D
Nah, it's very different. Codeine is more sedating in high doses than hydro or oxy. I enjoy sedation a lot as well but high doses of codeine give me too much itches for it to be enjoyable to me. ;)

Last edited:
I enjoy sedation a lot as well but high doses of codeine give me too much itches for it to be enjoyable to me. ;)

You know there's OTC meds for that right? lol. Diphenhydramine, Doxylamine? Or if you don't want the sedation of a first-generation antihistamine... try Zyrtec.

Done.

Depends on which narcotic analgesic we're comparing the Codeine to, but there are cases in my opinion, yes.

Am I the only one who (despite the exact same dosages) notices a different high from Codeine based on the manufacturer of the pill that I've ingested (e.g. brand name 'Tylenol #4 with Codeine' vs. a generic version)? I've thought long and hard that it may be a placebo-type effect, however, I strongly believe that not to be the case anymore after so much time and such a wide and frequent range of doses over the years.

You know there's OTC meds for that right? lol. Diphenhydramine, Doxylamine? Or if you don't want the sedation of a first-generation antihistamine... try Zyrtec.

I do. Even so codeine isn't my cup of tea. At least not when there's any other opi around.

I completed the survey for you.

Found it odd that it was on codeine and not a harder opiate.

This was my first prescribe opiate when I sprained my ankle. Found out my grandmother was also prescribe.

There's a bottle in the house and I hardly touch it if ever.