MAPS Marijuana and Sperm Count

GreenMiley

Greenlighter
I'm pretty much used to reading positive clinical trials about marijuana, so I was somewhat taken aback when I read this morning that some Danish scientists believe that marijuana kills sperm. Totally not planning on having kids so I wouldn't say I'm personally affected but I have plenty of friends who want to be daddies someday that really enjoyed herb in their youth so I kind of worry for them. Still, I'm not sure just one test is conclusive and I know plenty of dudes who were potheads that had no problem having kids.

It sounds like a bullshit study to me. It was only a small sample size and the study was not controlled. They said they found a "correlation" between marijuana use, not a causation. There's a big difference between correlation and causation and they even admitted that there were dozens of other factors that could be correlated with they lowered sperm counts. and the trial didn't even find anything statistically significant.

Also they didn't have any control group or a baseline to begin with. It's not like they took healthy people in a controlled setting and gave them some cannabis and monitored the result. It's not really a scientiffcally valid study at all, it's more propaganda and wishful thinking than science.

There have been plenty of studies that have demonstrated that cannabis has no effect on fertility as well. My understanding is that exccessive use of cannabis can have an effect on your hormone balance and negatively impact your sex drive and fertility. This would only happen with excessive habitual use and your hormones would balance out once you stopped smoking.

Yeah, in reading the article again, I noticed a lot of the researchers' language indicated a bias against marijuana smokers. "We cannot exclude the possibility that the men who used marijuana generally have an unhealthier lifestyle and health behavior..." LOL Say what?

^ I would guess that note refers to the researchers postulating that someone who smokes weed is more likely to smoke/do other stuff like cigs, and maybe assuming they're more likely to do other drugs/unhealthy things. Idk if that's even a little bit true, BUT I'll say smoking weed when I was started helped open me up to using other drugs, out of interest and a curiosity to see how they compared. And my weed dealer when I was young even offered me Xanax, salvia, acid, and booze when I was but 15 yrs old hah (not a very responsible dude).

And maybe some people who smoke just go too far and smoke nonstop and eat hella junk food. But that is a generalization for sure; I myself was a swimmer competitively and I did 6-8 hours of cardio a day, 5-6 days a week for years with a very rich and varied diet. All while I was a daily toker as well.

Regardless, I think any blanket statement about " men who smoke weed being more unhealthy" is lacking in its validity. Honestly alcohol does so much worse and I know for a fact people who drink alcohol regularly are more likely to smoke tobacco as well. So to put it shortly: weed doesn't make ur balls shrink or cause impotence or lower sperm count by any quantifiable amount.

I don't recommend any pregnant woman to smoke weed on any sort of basis and hopefully abstain from all drugs of Abuse during pregnancy. But the guy getting a girl pregnant doesn't have to worry about his weed causing his sperm to fail. I don't see any reason why that could remotely be true, or who it could be proven in a scientific way.

Yeah, in reading the article again, I noticed a lot of the researchers' language indicated a bias against marijuana smokers. "We cannot exclude the possibility that the men who used marijuana generally have an unhealthier lifestyle and health behavior..." LOL Say what?

A stereotype sure but I think for now that this is true just because it is part of a criminal/illegal culture and this thought is ingrained in many of us. Hopefully as it is legalized and accepted in society it will become like drinking coffee or taking a supplement.

A lot of extreme athletes use it after working out, etc.