• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kratom first use

kratnoob

Greenlighter
Am a little perplexed by my first voyage into kratom and would like some advice on where to proceed. I have no experience with opiates but do with things such as benzos, kava, phenibut.

Ordered an 8 strain sample mix. Since I have no experience with opiates and am hoping to make this a daily use, I'm hoping to start as low a dose as possible and cycle strains from there, with as little mixing as possible. I've been told only using 1 strain a day is best to prevent tolerance, so this is my current goal. I also hope to keep total dosage below 10g a day, either spaced out in small doses or one or two big doses. I have no desire to build a tolerance beyond this and will taper off if I do. My main motivation for trying kratom is use as a mood-enhancer and for social anxiety.

Day 1. 11:35am, empty stomach for 3 hours, consumed 3g Green malay via toss'n'wash. Effects were quite subtle, mild anxiolysis, anti-depressant, very mild euphoria. Not any great hit as I was expecting.

Waited until 7:50pm without consuming any food in the interim. Dosed 4g Green malay. Had a light meal 20 minutes after. After about 40 minutes, effects were very pronounced, the come-on was absolutely beautiful. Very strong relaxation, care-free effects, and a feeling that I can only describe as a 'clean phenibut high'. With phenibut I find that it's like a long lasting benzo without the sedation, but has a slightly dirty feeling to it, including slight loss of pitch in my voice. It felt like this phenibut high but without the dirty feeling or loss of pitch, but also unlike a benzo. I was quite sedated however.

I was looking forward to spontaneously going out in the evening when suddenly within 10 minutes, incredible nausea set in. I felt I was going to throw up, so lay down in bed. This lasted for 4 hours, and I wasn't able to leave bed without the intense nausea. I definitely would have thrown up if I didn't stay bed-ridden. This lasted until the effects wore off. I was very disappointed at this stage, because this just seemed so promising at the time. I read here it could be due to consuming food later on an empty stomach after ingesting kratom, but then it's also suggested to take kratom on an empty stomach. So it seems like a catch 22. Suggestions? Do you think this was the cause?

Day 2 (which is today). In the morning, in great fear of experiencing the effects again of last night, I toss'n'washd only 1.5g of White Sumatra. Noticed a very mild mood enhancing buzz, could have been due to placebo.

I really wanted to experience this strain, but couldn't afford to be bed-ridden like I was yesterday. After much googling I decided I'd try a tea. I made a tea with 3g, restrained 4 times, and drank with a healthy dose of organic raw honey. Contrary to what I was expecting, I enjoyed the taste. I wouldn't mind having a tea like this each morning just sipping on it. Nevertheless, the effects were about the same as the 1.5g dose, perhaps slightly more uplifting, but nothing much. Cannot rule out placebo.

Where do I go from here? I really, really want to experience the effects I did from the 4g Green Malay last night, but that nausea is not acceptable at all for me, and I'm afraid to try a similar 4g toss'n'wash dose on a new strain. Should I try a tea in a higher dose? Is the nausea common for first-timers and will go away? Should I take a break before trying Red Borneo tomorrow and then attempt toss'n'wash again?

Any insights appreciated.

why are you hoping to make this a daily thing? its only gonna stop working then youll have to take it to not be in withdrawal.

you should have a break for a week now at least.

sounds like you got it right on day 1. kratom is subtle, if you try and get really high on it, you invariably end up ill.

Basically I'm looking for a long-term social anxiety, GAD aid. I've tried everything from CBT, SSRI's etc but it doesn't help. As needed phenibut, benzos does, but I was hoping for a more frequent solution, and my research led me to believe cycling the strains might allow me to consume it every day. I don't want something to get really high off, but just something to relax me a little each day. I'd do weed but it's illegal here unfortunately.

Interesting about the week break suggestion, alright I'll give that a go thanks.

Just like most opioids, kratom makes a very poor daily anti-anxiety/anti-depressant drug. You will become dependent on it and it will almost invariably be a hellish experience, especially since you do not have any other opioid addictions under your belt for comparison.

Cycling strains everyday to avoid tolerance is bullshit as well. If you take kratom on a regular basis, even if it isn't everyday, tolerance will still be a problem. Just ask Mycophile, another one of our members, how only using a few times a week worked out for his tolerance.

Unless you want to end up like me - a slave to a plant and considering suboxone treatment - then I would highly reccomend against using kratom daily. And, if you truly want to avoid tolerance, you should probably use it no more than maybe once a week, and even then you'll probably still end up using a lot more over time.

Last edited:
Basically I'm looking for a long-term social anxiety, GAD aid. I've tried everything from CBT, SSRI's etc but it doesn't help. As needed phenibut, benzos does, but I was hoping for a more frequent solution, and my research led me to believe cycling the strains might allow me to consume it every day. I don't want something to get really high off, but just something to relax me a little each day. I'd do weed but it's illegal here unfortunately.

Interesting about the week break suggestion, alright I'll give that a go thanks.

ugghh you are seeking out kratom for the same reasons many others do, myself included..u want a long term fix for social anxiety but tbh, there isnt one..therapy might help, drugs will most definitely help temporarily..so far, kratom really helps me in the mood department but there are times when it just makes me irritable..kratom works ok in the social anxiety department but i guess it comes down to whether you dont mind getting addicted or not..many on here have been on krato for years and it still helps their mood/depression problems so it might help..hopefully more experienced users will chime in with their thoughts on kratoms long term applications.. i will say that social anxiety and depression is a nightmare though especially when mixed together..

exercise, keeping busy doing things you love, trying to hang out with positive people, eating well, taking pride in your appearance and working towards something positive that utilises your full potential.

Interesting insights everyone thank you. After thinking about it I'll take the advice here and not use it daily. I'll add this to my list of 'as needed' medications, once per week if I can manage that. Really seems I got sucked into the marketing ploys. Those are some bad stories there in that post Slug.

Great advice smacky about exercising, eating healthy etc. But even that is difficult with SA, going to the gym, for walks and all. When I'm medicated it's fine though, actually I was planning on eating healthy and exercising and using kratom to get over that inertia in my life that SA brings. But change of plans with that now. I think I'll just cyclethe different classes of anxiolytics (occasional valium/phenibut) as needed for now.

Well, couldn't help myself and consumed 3g of Red Borneo today. Had moderate nausea which reduced to slight nausea after a lay down.

My god.. this stuff is beautiful. It seems so sad that I can't do this more often. Is the price of a few hours of normality, peace, and tranquillity really not worth the wrath this pandoras box may supposedly bring?

Well, couldn't help myself and consumed 3g of Red Borneo today. Had moderate nausea which reduced to slight nausea after a lay down.

My god.. this stuff is beautiful. It seems so sad that I can't do this more often. Is the price of a few hours of normality, peace, and tranquillity really not worth the wrath this pandoras box may supposedly bring?

well, kratom is not going to ruin your life like harddcore opiates like heroin..there are quite a few users on here and elsewhere that have used kratom daily for years and they still say that kratom helps them more than hurts them..they complain of the cost and sometimes constipation..personally i do think kratom is one of those things that CAN be used to help a person be more productive, aid in anxiety and depression relief as long as that person adopts a schedule or has a decent amount of will power..if you could keep kratom use to 1-2 a day, then i honestly dont see where the problem lies..sure, u will be dependent so i guess it all comes down to how much it actualy helps you..i can personally attest to how much it helps my work performance so..

exercise, keeping busy doing things you love, trying to hang out with positive people, eating well, taking pride in your appearance and working towards something positive that utilises your full potential.

i really really wish these things worked better for anxiety and depression but they only have small impact in my experience..

go to the doctors and get sn ssri. kratom sill stop working, then all you'll be doing is taking it to be out of withdrawals. when you dont have it, your anxiety and depression will be orst than it is now, plus youll have diarrhoea!

I am a daily kratom user....just put a scoop in with your coffee when brewing and your as good as gold!

I did the phenibut thing once.....didn't get the affect you guys seem to ( I LOVE benzos). Instead I got addicted and it made me break out with cysts all over the place. But was very easy to taper off of.

Tried quite a few SSRIs before. Out of all the things I've tried, nothing is less effective and full of side effects than them. I'm fully convinced their recommendation by doctors is due to the huge amounts of funding in research in order to find a few studies that support their efficacy. I mean even a completely opposite mechanism of action like an SSRE is supposedly more effective with a faster onset of action. You could probably do the same thing for any substance with a mind altering effect if enough money was thrown at it. For something slightly better than placebo and its host of SE they're not worth it in my opinion.

Well good to hear some stories here about moderate respectable use with kratom. Maybe my original idea of 10g a day was too much. Perhaps I'll try to limit it to 5g do you think? I'm disciplined. If I need to cross over that I'll quit. Do you think the withdrawels will still be so bad at this dose?

that last paragraph is bullshit, im afraid. if you need to cross over 5g, youll do it, especially when in withdrawals. try and sort out the reasons youre depressed and anxious, rather than masking the symptoms with drugs.

Yes my friend, I have done that. I fear judgement and negative evaluation by others on a deep and fundamental level. Also, when speaking to other people I may spontaneously sweat if I'm the centre of attention due to that fear of being evaluated negatively. However I also have a strange essential tremor which puts me in a permanent state of fight or flight it seems even when at home and relaxed. When it disappears I find myself fatigued and lazy. Even exercising results in excessive strange tremor. I don't believe anyone knows the cause. I have meditated on this fact for years and done everything I can to overcome it. It persists, and I'm almost certain it's genetic/epigenetic. Perhaps for some people these symptoms disappear with the right realizations and exposure, for others this isn't so easily the case. Unfortunately the pathology side of genetics is still so early in its infancy, it may be several decades before anything useful is found out. But I know from first hand experience the solutions aren't as simple as I originally hoped.

go to the doctors and get sn ssri. kratom sill stop working, then all you'll be doing is taking it to be out of withdrawals. when you dont have it, your anxiety and depression will be orst than it is now, plus youll have diarrhoea!

ssris have not been effective at all for me..at best, they numbed me out and they came with a handful of bad side effects..besides, i hope you do know ssris tend to poop out eventually.most of not all eventually stop working, that is if they ever worked in the first place lol..

I'm not surprised SSRI's didn't work. As others suggested, exercise and self-reflection is your best bet.

The only thing worse you could do than self medicate with Kratom is to self-medicate with benzos.

Just sub in the word "hydro" or "dihydro" or "trams" for "kratom". You're essentially purposefully making yourself an opiate addict.

I know that kratom is not an opiate in the traditional sense, meaning that it does not derive from the opium poppy. But it is without a doubt an "opioid" - it hits alot of the opioid receptors, and has some interesting properties all its own. As an opioid receptor agonist it is JUST AS STRONG as hydro, dihydro, and trams. Much stronger than Codeine.

e.g., I was recently prescribed 7.5/325 Norcos following a root canal. I take up to 20 grams of Bali PLAIN LEAF per day. I had to take FIVE 7.5 NORCOS in order to feel anything. This was when I realized the true extent of Kratom's effects. So this here "kratom" is not some weak-ass substance. 10mg of hydro used to floor me, 10mg oxy would make me vomit incessantly.

I've taken UEI and other extracts hundreds of times before, and trust me, they can be just as strong and euphoric as OXY - only difference being the UEI like all Kratom has a ceiling effect. You can't really OD in the classic opioid but catch a nasty opioid habit you definitely will!

At 1-2 grams, it is a fantastic stimulant, very clean feeling. Gives you the same stimulation as 2 cups of coffee without the downsides of caffeine (dehydration, increased urination, jitters)

But you will certainly catch a habit. And as others have stated, you will soon find yourself dosing just to prevent WD.

Kratom WD is just as nasty, especially for someone like yourself who is opiate-naive. To you, it will feel the way heroin WD feels to a heroin addict.

If you're new to kratom/opiates, then a spoonful of Bali or Maeng Da will be pure bliss - like a good hydro or oxy high, respectively. But it's not worth the habit and withdrawal.

Also because the ceiling that kratom exhibits, once you become addicted it's literally impossible for you to feel a kratom high - all it does is take away your WD.

OP - I hope you make the right choice, there are almost a dozen kratom-heads here to warn you about the horrors. Please save yourself the agony.