• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can we make DXM more ketamine like?

Renald

Bluelighter
Both drugs act on the same receptors, but with different affinities. Here you see the schematic representation of both drugs:

Ketamine_vs_DXM.jpg

How can we block SERT and NET action of DXM? Are there any known drugs working such way?

The picture is taken from here - http://moscow.sci-hub.bz/08339e75c89dbe4b0bdc15544fbd7f11/[email protected]

How can we block SERT and NET action of DXM?

find a different NMDA antagonist

you can't just selectively block those aspects of DXM, there is no "anti-SNRI".

What kind of drug does it?

Arylcyclohexylamines. They are a large subset of NMDAR antagonists, and many members of this subset, pound-for-pound, make ketamine seem like kidstuff (including several analogues of ketamine itself).

I don't get why somebody would want to make a drug feel like another drug. It has never occurred to me that there was any alternative to simply using the real thing; the notion of simulated psychoactives seems daft.

Arylcyclohexylamines. They are a large subset of NMDAR antagonists, and many members of this subset, pound-for-pound, make ketamine seem like kidstuff (including several analogues of ketamine itself).

I don't get why somebody would want to make a drug feel like another drug. It has never occurred to me that there was any alternative to simply using the real thing; the notion of simulated psychoactives seems daft.

No, I am about what kind of drug can selectively block SERT/NET?
I know very well about arylcyclohexylamines, but now I am interested in making DXM more ketamine like.
Also, maybe in my situation both drugs would be quite similar, I was on duloxetine (SNRI) when used ketamine. Now due to the possibility of serotonin syndrome I withdrew duloxetine and try to use DXM. What do you think, how do ketamine/MXE on SSRI/SNRI feel compared to DXM?

DXM inhibits SERT and NET allowing higher serotonin and noradrenaline levels, so you would actually need a drug that would make SERT and NET work more effectively (a reuptake enhancer), there is no such a thing widely available and there are generally very few monoamine reuptake enhancers known, not to mention selective ones.

Perhaps there is a way to develop derivatives of DXM with reduced serotonergic/noradrenergic effects, but few derivatives of dextrorotatory morphinan were synthesized and assayed, so there is no structure-activity relationship for this class. You would have to conduct a whole lot of experiments to find one which would require a lot of money to begin with, I don't think anything could warrant such research at this point. Look at ibogaine and related derivatives, some small groups of people are only interested in researching it.

But how would that work? If you ingest a reuptake inhibitor like DXM, to block its reuptake inhibiting properties you'd need to take either something with a much higher affinity at the same site but opposite properties (thus a reuptake enhancer but I don't know if reuptake enhancers bind at the same site) or inactivate DXM itself (by complexation or degradation, but I can't see a way to do this selectively anyway), but then it wouldn't exert any effect at all.

No, I am about what kind of drug can selectively block SERT/NET?
I know very well about arylcyclohexylamines, but now I am interested in making DXM more ketamine like.
Also, maybe in my situation both drugs would be quite similar, I was on duloxetine (SNRI) when used ketamine. Now due to the possibility of serotonin syndrome I withdrew duloxetine and try to use DXM. What do you think, how do ketamine/MXE on SSRI/SNRI feel compared to DXM?

Oops. Apologies for the misunderstanding

Well, in that case what I think is irrelevant; others here (namely, adder) are better able to handle the purport of your query.

Sometimes the real thing isn't available, is my theory.

Nonsense! Mate, if you cannot find a drug you must look better and harder. If all attempts to procure the drug are unavailing, despite your best efforts, then you must forget about finding it and figure out how to make it. If you cannot make it, then find somebody that can. If you cannot find somebody that can, then find somebody that can. Hehehe.

There's a means to every end. It is only an issue of whether one does or does not agree with Machiavelli's assertion that the end justifies the means.

Searching for SSRE/SNRE

I don't think such a drug class exists.

The simple answer is: there's no drug you can combine with DXM that blocks the non-ketamine effects.

I don't think such a drug class exists.

The simple answer is: there's no drug you can combine with DXM that blocks the non-ketamine effects.

And what about ketamine + SNRI? Isnt it very similar to DXM?

I don't exactly know. I'd expect the results of ketamine plus long term SNRI therapy to be different than "acute" SNRI dosage as seen with DXM.

Sorry, mate.
But I'm bonked, and zonked and fairly unzipped
rattled and addled and barely unripped.
But I am not yet so sloughed and uncorked,
that I couldn't bet to stay glued and ungorked.

In other words, I'm high but not so high I think I'd muck up this whole post. But here goes,

And what about ketamine + SNRI?Isnt it very similar to DXM?

Sadly, I am far too ignorant of the underlying pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties that are the result of NMDAR antagonists combined with SNRIs.

I'm no erudite pharmacologist. But I am an intrepid (some might argue foolhardy) experimentalist. And nothing is quite as interesting to experiment with as are drug combinations, from my perspective as a soi-disant psychonaut.

And so, while having no useful analytical knowledge of these combinations, I do have quite a bit of potentially useful empirical knowledge of them.

In regards to only SNRIs administered concomitantly with only ketamine and/or ketamine cognates, I have assayed the following:

1.) ketamine + venlafaxine + duloxetine;

2.) ketamine + esketamine + chlorphenamine + venlafaxine + mirtazepine + sibutramine;

3.) n-ethylnorketamine + esketamine + venlafaxine;

4.) ketamine + 2-MeO-2-deschloroketamine (methoxyketamine) + chlorphenamine + mirtazepine + duloxetine;

5.) methoxetamine (does that even count as a relative of ketamine?) + n-ethylnorketamine + sibutramine + brompheniramine (does that count as an SNRI? Oy vey!) + venlafaxine;

According to the descriptions I had written down in my drug diary and the recordings I have collected (for when written documentation of the experience becomes impractical or complicated), compared to ketamine administered in isolation none of these combinations produced an effect remarkably more similar to those of either DXM or any other morphinan derivative I have ever experienced.

However, as I presume we all are fully aware, most dissociatives feel noticeably similar to each other in some inexplicable, amorphous way—that je ne sais qoui essence of dissociative anaesthesia, I call it. And in much the same way as amphetamine's or meth's or 4-MAR's effects greatly overlap with those of other psychostimulants, one should be cognizant of the fact that, when comparing two or more drugs of basically the exact same pharmacological nature, one can easily delude themselves into thinking the one is the other and the other is the one—PCP and TCP are practically the same thing with different potency, for example.

Thus, there exists a considerable potential here to confuse oneself and create similarities or dissimilarities between drugs that simply do not exist.

And in conclusion, my assessments should be taken for what they truly are: highly subjective and personalised, rather than scientific and definitive.

(That is to say, your mileage may vary to a considerable degree, and your own self-assay may lead you to disparate conclusions.)

Last edited:
Why do you want to do this? Even if it is possible it is in no way practical.

I'm guessing ketamine is not available and DXM is not a practical dissociative itself. ;) Although I must say that I consider DXM experience pretty unique and it appears it's actually due to serotonergic effects, I remember one trip on DXM with a total dose of 375mg split in two doses (150mg + 225mg 90 minutes later), it was one of the best trips ever for me, for however long I was sitting on a chair with my eyes closed listening to trance via headphones and I was seeing this giant dark blue sphere and small particles orbiting around it until they were sucked in right in the middle of the sphere. Actually, the dark blue sphere actually felt like it was a point in my head. 3-MeO-PCP is a very unique compound too and I guess it's also due to additional serotonergic effects, the psychedelic headspace is quite similar for both compounds.

Luteolin & Apigenin were both found to be Monoamine Transporter Activators.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19815045

These could possibly displace DXM from the Transporters, but both Luteolin & Apigenin were found to Inhibit MAO-A at a low Micromolar concentration and may result in causing unwanted side effects via MAOI before they displace DXM.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17328236

Apigenin may have Opioid Antagonist effects, and combat some of the pleasure from your DXM.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2265593/

So it seems that Luetolin & Apigenin would possibly have some potential use for reversing DXM tolerance. But Apigenin has also been found to have NMDA Antagonism, so may not be as productive as Luteolin.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15464088

Nitrous Oxide has no affinity for any Monoamine Transporter that I know of, plus its known to have the typical Dissociative Pharmacology (NMDA Antagonism, nAChR Antagonism, etc.), this could be useful for getting Ketamine effects.

Ive read that Nitrous may cause Vitamin B12 Deficiency, so it may be good to supplement B12 before and after the Nitrous. Nitrous is used in Hospitals for its anaesthetic properties.

Hope this helps!

DXM has a pretty high affinity towards SERT, so I don't think these flavones could be much effective at displacing it. Do you know if the first article mentions any Ki values?