• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Phenibut withdrawal help

Well it's been almost 2 months since your last post, but hopefully you're doing alright. I went through nearly the exact same thing as you using that stuff. Only took Phenibut 4-5 times EVER, about 2 weeks apart for the sake of getting high, and only ended up taking ~800mg ? maximum. (before i started withdrawing from it) 800mg. Most people talk about 3g+ and getting what they call 'mild' withdrawals. I took 800mg and went into full blown panic 3 days after. I made make the mistake of taking 1.5g almost immediately after the withdrawals started, desperate to kill the horrific anxiety I was experiencing- which made everything worse in the long run. From what I can recall I went from 1500mg, to 1500 the next day, then 1200 or so, then 800, then quit completely. For 2 weeks I was living in a constant state of terror, no sleep, heart was pounding, experienced hallucinations both auditory and visual (albeit somewhat mild, they were still terrifying), body jerks, extreme heat and cold body temperature, anhedonia at times, derealization, depersonalization, delirium, body numbness (which was awful. My entire body was literally completely numb), I would lose consciousness for short periods of time, and 'come to' throughout the day (kinda like blacking out i guess) with a host of other symptoms. It was also hard hearing other peoples phenibut withdrawal stories that were 'mild and lasted only about 3-4 days :)' when I was going on 7-8 days of realistically 4-5 hours total sleep. At one point I was convinced I was going to have a seizure and die - which isn't a very pleasurable thought to have, at another point I was so steeped in terror that my body physically felt like it was being electrified, and I determined to have my mom drive me to the hospital where I could be fed a sedative through an IV, as nothing else would ever manage the level of anxiety I was experiencing (that didnt end up happening), after about 2 weeks i was started to feel normal (about 75% back to normal) increasing daily for 7 days, and another wave hit me, and I was back where I started. (though i was not taking anymore phenibut, or any medication for that matter -besides 100mg <--- I believe / of hydroxyzine every 8 or so hours, or whatever the recommended dosage was.) and it took about 2.5-3 months for me to feel completely normal. after that 2nd wave came and went (which lasted about a week), the rest of the withdrawal was bearable. I would say it took about 3.5-4 months for me to be 100% back to normal. Anyways, hang in there- Believe me when I say i've been there. This happened in November of 2013, so it hasn't even been 2 years.

Last edited:
I am still alive. Reading RiseAgain's post now it doesn't seem that bad, but at the time it freaked the fuck out of me and I never came back to this forum. I know it was meant helpfully but when you're in severely anxious state already, someone telling you you're going to get even more anxious, well, that was the most terrifying thing to read.

The severe anxiety, panic attacks, fear of heart attacks went on for another month or so. I tried to get medical help as suggested, the doctor just shrugged their shoulders and referred me to substance misuse who never offered me an appointment.

With some help from elsewhere, I am now on a taper plan which is going well, despite the odd bit of trouble.

I can really relate to what you said about the level of anxiety where you felt only IV sedation would stop it. I had a panic attack that lasted 8 hours, and I was convinced the only way to stop it was an induced coma or jumping in front of a train.

Ironically, the more phenibut I took, the more anxious I got. It led to paranoia, insomnia, panic attacks, and night terrors. Even when I eventually found a stable dose (closer to 3.5g than the 1.8g I had thought) I was waking up with panic attacks and palpitations thinking I was dying.

Thanks for adding to the thread. I just wanted to come back and update as I hate it when threads end hanging.

Suffice it to say, sometimes phenibut has paradoxical effects, I've heard a few people now mention addiction after only a few uses, but also phenibut itself CAUSING panic attacks, paranoia, severe anxiety, psychosis and other severe symptoms. Some of us are clearly sensitive to this crap.

Sorry you had to go through what you did atoddw - but thank you for sharing it adds hope.

And oh yes, the frustration of reading those accounts of people getting off in 3-4 days or having no withdrawals, this has had its hooks in me for months and the one time I tried cold turkey in absolute desperation, my body nearly shut down.

I hope Rise Again is Ok, thanks for the support, I'm sorry I just bailed but I was terrified and not myself in any way, shape or form, for a long time!

I know this post is very very old, but wth. Just wanna say for future people reading this as well.. if you're having such bad w/d symptoms even though from your original post to now it doesnt seem like you've gone down AT ALL, then obviously something else is going on. I'm going to read on though and see if the OP did indeed recover. I'm on day 9 of ct from 5 gpd and it was and still is complete hell, and am worried about permanent damage. However, taking phen, as well as the baclofen my dr prescribed me, made me violently violently I'll. Almost like it sent me into precipitated w/d. Luckily some symptoms--such as audio/visual hallucinations, and all-body severe tremors--were all but over by 5 day mark. Now it's just tingling, slight shaking, and a lot of sweating. Still get lots of anxiety and depression and a little trouble focusing. Not much sleep, and mornings are BAD. l theanine works wonders. As well as memantine (sp?)

Now that I've read the whole thing I've got a few things to say. While I am 100% sympathetic and know what it's like to be suffering like that, you are completely psyching yourself out and seem to almost be reaching out for attention rather than reassurance. Instead of saying "I guess I'll just go it alone.. so alone" make another post. Jeeze. Sorry I don't mean to be harsh but really! Maybe your post just didnt show up in the top recommended when people search. that being said, I hope you were able to get off it.

Okay I'll say it again. Taper plans are great, but you started you were at 1.8 grams per say. By the time of your last post you should have been tapered off completely or at least close to it. Not criticizing and I know everyone is different, but seems to me you're looking for an easy way out. And riseagain is 100% right. there is none unfortunately. Supplements will help mildly, but will not cure it. It's a crazy ass substance. As for the other person that posted, I'm not sure why your w/d would have come back like that. especially from such a small dose. Should have been over in about 2 week to at most a month. Perhaps if you had a previous experience with it, or one of the other gabaergics? Anyway gonna go browse the other posts lol