• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

am I not taking enough adderall or have I built a tolerance?

vspinkprincess

Greenlighter
okay so my first time ever taking adderall was four days ago it was 15mg ir and I got a pretty good high off of it but it only lasted maybe 2 hours, the next day I took the same thing and the same thing happened. Then yesterday I was going to a rave so I decided to take some xr because i heard it lasts longer so I took one 20mg xr and 2 hours later nothing happened so I took another 20mg xr and it was different then the ir, I didn't feel so energized and happy and hyper I just felt awake and attentive. are they supposed to have different effects? Either way I like how the ir felt way better than the xr so tonight I took another 15mg ir and I honestly feel nothing I took it 2 hours ago and I've eaten waffles and I'm tired definitely not the effect I had the first two times. so my question is why didn't the xr work like the ir and am I not taking enough or have I built up a tolerance already?

Last edited:
It sounds as though you built up a tolerance, or maybe you have ADD since you said you feel tired on it. Do you usually take other drugs or stimulants?

no and actually after I posted this i was up all night but it still didn't make me like it did the first time. So do I take more next time?

The Adderall XR capsules have a much different effect than the IR pills in my opinion. Each person has a preference. I prefer XRs all day, i feel way more effected from them at equal dosages, but some folks swear by the IRs. It has to do with your metabolism and body chemistry. IRs don't really get me there like XRs but it could be opposite for you.

The XR's slowly release the amphetamine mix over the course of about 12 hours, so at any given time you only have about 5mg in your system. If you want the full effect of XR you have to take a few of them. Here's an example.
I personally am prescribed Xanax XR. Each tablet containes 3mg of alprazolam that gets released over a period of about 16 hr. How this works is approx. every 4 hr. around .75 mg is released into my system. .75 multiplied by 4 equals the tablet's total payload of 3mg. When I'm in the mood for a buzz I take 5 tablets, so every 4 hr about 3.75mg of alprazolam hits my system, which is about how much I would take if I was using IR Xanax.
In short, just find out how much of the adderall is released every few hours, then dose up to equal what you would take if it was IR. Remember though that it will last MUCH longer so make sure you plan accordingly for when you're gonna take it.

The XR's slowly release the amphetamine mix over the course of about 12 hours, so at any given time you only have about 5mg in your system. If you want the full effect of XR you have to take a few of them. Here's an example.
I personally am prescribed Xanax XR. Each tablet containes 3mg of alprazolam that gets released over a period of about 16 hr. How this works is approx. every 4 hr. around .75 mg is released into my system. .75 multiplied by 4 equals the tablet's total payload of 3mg. When I'm in the mood for a buzz I take 5 tablets, so every 4 hr about 3.75mg of alprazolam hits my system, which is about how much I would take if I was using IR Xanax.
In short, just find out how much of the adderall is released every few hours, then dose up to equal what you would take if it was IR. Remember though that it will last MUCH longer so make sure you plan accordingly for when you're gonna take it.

Thanks for posting this.

When I was on Dexedrine/Adderall they only had IR (instant release), and not XR (extended release).

Does Adderall XR really contain alprazolam as well? Or do you just take benzos with it?

If you like how it feels stop taking it 3 days in a row. You could probably get 3 years out of it if with eurphoria if you only take it Fri/Sat IR <25mg each night and then nothing Sun-Thursday.
Or you can go nuts, and in 2 months it will make you sleepy and antisocial at best if you take it.

I like to save the alprazolam for the comedown personally, but no there isn't any in the adderall formulation. I was just using my Xanax XR tabs as an example of how most extended release pills work.

This is good theory but for me personally The XR name brands hit way harder than the IR generics, without a doubt.

I can take 1 20mg XR and be good all day with a stronger effect than taking a 30mg pink IR twice a day.

Figure that out.. im stumped.

If you like how it feels stop taking it 3 days in a row. You could probably get 3 years out of it if with eurphoria if you only take it Fri/Sat IR <25mg each night and then nothing Sun-Thursday.
Or you can go nuts, and in 2 months it will make you sleepy and antisocial at best if you take it.
I wasn't planning on continuing taking it like that the first day I took it was just unexpected and I was like oh sure then I was taking it the other days because there was parties those nights and I wanted to be hyped up but yeah I do get what you're saying thanks:)

thanks! that makes sense I'll try that :)

It's not a theory man, look it up, the drug companies will even explain this on their websites. If a capsule only contains 20 mg of amphetamine, which is then slowly released throughout the day, then you only get about 5mg or so released every 3-4 hr. The vast majority of people I talk to undoubtedly say the XR's are weaker, and I have experienced this first hand as well via adderall, xanax, and morphine which were all the XR formulation.

As to why you get more of an effect, I don't have a concrete scientific awnser to give you, but human beings experience drugs very differently sometimes, and I would theorize your body just reacts better with XR formulations. It may even be that your body metabolizes the IR way too fast and you don't get very good effects, but the XR your body tolerates better as it has a longer time to be absorbed and metabolized properly.

That's pretty awesome that XR's hit you harder though, that would be a god send for many drug users such as myself. Enjoy the gift you lucky bastard ;)

For me, Adderall tolerance builds extremely fast. But then again I take recreational doses that are very, very high. I usually take a break around a week or so to reset my tolerance.

^ What he said. The key to enjoying speed is learning how to space out usage.