• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

August Getting/Staying Sober/Clean Thread v. Peace and Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is day 3 for me. I started subs yesterday and honestly feel great right now. I was on 20-60mg of opana per day for right around a year and I'm ready to get clean. I've met this awesome girl that I really think we have something together and I don't want to have to live a double life with her and want to be clean to start a healthy relationship.

Good luck to everyone....its very inspiring reading about people being sober for months

Hello everyone -- since this is the closest thing Sober Living has to a "social forum," I'd like to point out that we are accepting applications from anyone interested in joining the moderator crew here. Please see this thread.

Hey Captain, has your mindset changed since you've been sober, in particular regarding the stuff you have in your "Location" box? Congrats on your sobriety, by the way. I know you've been to hell and back again, and you remind me a lot of myself when I was younger.

Hey Captain, has your mindset changed since you've been sober, in particular regarding the stuff you have in your "Location" box? Congrats on your sobriety, by the way. I know you've been to hell and back again, and you remind me a lot of myself when I was younger.

I'm always wondering whether you feel so much better with time. I noticed I'm started to get better my 4-5th month when I actually started changing habits like eating well, doing exercises, waking up accordingly and getting myself motivated enough to continue struggling.
I'd say slightly better though.

I'm now half year totally sober but with all the above routines changed I still feel tired, lethargic and pretty sad more often than happy.
I managed to deal with those feelings but will that pass with time? When did you really found yourself out of this 'hell' place you've mentioned? I hope to find out myself and share with you as time goes by.
Anyway, congrats to you and to all of us trying to get there! :)
Wish you all a great week!!
E.-

Honestly I used a few times a couple weeks ago but haven't since and before then it was a couple months sober. I've picked up playing paintball which has really kept my mind off using and whatever money I have goes to paintball stuff haha

I am planning to come off my long term almost 10 years all together now) opioid abuse (H & buprenorphine) and partial benzo abuse (few years) coming up here soon, I got on Suboxone to get off the H, and it saved my life, but I should have stopped after a few weeks instead of continuing, like the doctor said to do, and to my detriment now obviously, but I no longer want, nor need to be dependent on opioids anymore, haven't for a very long time really) but now, and I hope even after I'm off of those, I still plan/hope I can use cannabis, and occasional alcohol, maybe a psychedelic every once in a while. Basically like I was before I started abusing drugs. I know cannabis makes coming off these drugs easier, so I don't see why one can't still use it after, why everyone has to be 100% SOBER, just being off your problem drugs is good enough, whatever those drugs may be. This is why I never bought into the whole 12 step crap.

Still going somewhat strong. Didn't order any chems this weekend but came damn close. I'm starting to be able to tell my addict self to calm the fuck down and enjoy the sober life. Hope everyone has a great week. Let's do this.

I am planning to come off my long term almost 10 years all together now) opioid abuse (H & buprenorphine) and partial benzo abuse (few years) coming up here soon, I got on Suboxone to get off the H, and it saved my life, but I should have stopped after a few weeks instead of continuing, like the doctor said to do, and to my detriment now obviously, but I no longer want, nor need to be dependent on opioids anymore, haven't for a very long time really) but now, and I hope even after I'm off of those, I still plan/hope I can use cannabis, and occasional alcohol, maybe a psychedelic every once in a while. Basically like I was before I started abusing drugs. I know cannabis makes coming off these drugs easier, so I don't see why one can't still use it after, why everyone has to be 100% SOBER, just being off your problem drugs is good enough, whatever those drugs may be. This is why I never bought into the whole 12 step crap.

I'm the same. I quit everything, including booze but still puff. I'm off dope and benzos. I think that alone is a great thing and my weed use is not a problem. My therapist even agrees.

Good luck. Wish you the best. You're making a wise choice. Stay strong.

Still going somewhat strong. Didn't order any chems this weekend but came damn close. I'm starting to be able to tell my addict self to calm the fuck down and enjoy the sober life. Hope everyone has a great week. Let's do this.
That's great! Taking back control of our lives is the greatest struggle since we lost the control to our addiction. As soon as you can start recognizing that you have it back it can really be empowering. I'm feeling the same way. My decisions to not use have actually helped me to stay clean too.

All the best. Have a good week folks!

Start of august marked three years free from active addiction for me :)

Wow!! That is awesome.

1 year, 3 months and 9 days for me. Really missing my girlfriend today, about to go work out. So glad to be done with all the crazy school shit I had. I took 9 credits via intensive classes so it was a total of 3 classes in 10 weeks. Now I only have one class left in grad school!

I'm always wondering whether you feel so much better with time. I noticed I'm started to get better my 4-5th month when I actually started changing habits like eating well, doing exercises, waking up accordingly and getting myself motivated enough to continue struggling.
I'd say slightly better though.

I'm now half year totally sober but with all the above routines changed I still feel tired, lethargic and pretty sad more often than happy.
I managed to deal with those feelings but will that pass with time? When did you really found yourself out of this 'hell' place you've mentioned? I hope to find out myself and share with you as time goes by.
Anyway, congrats to you and to all of us trying to get there! :)
Wish you all a great week!!
E.-

It just takes time, what I try to do is think back to how I felt when I was in active addiction and in the first month of detox. If you are like me, you felt a hell of a lot better at 6 months then you did using and just detoxing.

Crazy thing is I do notice myself kinda forgetting how that felt (this is normal). I know it sucked and was a living hell so that is enough. Its hard to understand how I functioned in active addiction nowadays (towards the end I wasn't really but whatever)

I know cannabis makes coming off these drugs easier, so I don't see why one can't still use it after, why everyone has to be 100% SOBER, just being off your problem drugs is good enough, whatever those drugs may be. This is why I never bought into the whole 12 step crap.

Nobody is forcing you to do the 12 steps or work a program, its just one way to recovery. If you can still smoke weed and stay away from the harder stuff then more power to you! I wish I could but even with weed I will smoke it till it interferes with my functioning. I do better without it and every time I would start it, I would eventually go back to harder drugs.

Nobody but yourself determines what recovery looks like.

Best of luck to you, sometimes I wish I could go back to what it was like before I started using drugs, but that was like a decade ago and isn't possible anymore. I am an addict and I just cannot use drugs successfully. A very small percentage of my using was "fun", most of my using career fucking sucked bad. Stopping sucked at first, but now I have so much good going on in my life I don't want to risk giving it away. Things like weed and beer (and I was a huge drinker) just do not fit in it anymore. I can honestly say that this past year has been the best year of my life. I have 1 year and 3 months, the first 3 months were difficult, but past that it kept getting easier and easier. Now staying clean is still something I have to work at, however, its not all encompassing like it used to have to be. Its always my first priority, but its become just a part of my routine.

Do you have a doctor monitoring your taper? I got off Suboxone after a 8 month taper and it still wasn't exactly easy. I do have to say, it was my first real detox without using other substances and it did seem to go by quicker.

My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.

This is actually a quote from The count of Monte Cristo.

I am feeling better some times but not all the time.

I believe I suffer from severe depression

I think my mind will never be fully healthy

But I am OK with that. I am still happier off drugs.

It is nice not having to constantly inject myself anymore. It's nice to let the obsession die.

Not really saying 12 step is bad, I just don't see why it is forced down everyone who is trying to quit, at least for the first time's throat, like it's the ONLY way to go. I think it is possible to people to still use drugs, recreationally, just not their PROBLEM drugs, be it opioids, or meth, or coke, or whatever, as long as they stay away from those, and similar ones to those, I think they'd be fine. With me, weed and alcohol have never been a problem ever, that's why I think, and hope, after I abstain from my opies and benzos, I can still do those on occasion, bc I think I will go crazy if I can't do anything at all, ever.

No, no doctor, my sub doc is more like a drug dealer than a doctor really, reason I've been on sub so long partially. But I have read a lot about tapering, have all the right stuff, and technically started a year ago, I was snorting like 8mg sub per day, now I take 1mg sublingually like you're supposed to, but I have to go down, and quick as I'm running low. My goal is to get down to like 0.1mg every other day or 2 days for a few weeks before completely stopping, that is my ideal goal. And I have cannabis, benzos, clonidine, vitamins, loperamide, just about everything one could need. (Planning to get off the bupe before the benzos, cause I tried reverse 3 years ago and it didn't go well, I found opioids were harder to stop, mentally especially. Withdrawals are fucking horrible, but it's the lack of sleep that bothers me the most, I gotta sleep, I go crazy if I don't get 'some' sleep. That's what freaks me out the most about coming off this shit, well that and the depression/fog/anxiety as well, which i already have naturally.

CH, did you get my PM?

Nobody is forcing you to do the 12 steps or work a program, its just one way to recovery. If you can still smoke weed and stay away from the harder stuff then more power to you! I wish I could but even with weed I will smoke it till it interferes with my functioning. I do better without it and every time I would start it, I would eventually go back to harder drugs.

Nobody but yourself determines what recovery looks like.

Best of luck to you, sometimes I wish I could go back to what it was like before I started using drugs, but that was like a decade ago and isn't possible anymore. I am an addict and I just cannot use drugs successfully. A very small percentage of my using was "fun", most of my using career fucking sucked bad. Stopping sucked at first, but now I have so much good going on in my life I don't want to risk giving it away. Things like weed and beer (and I was a huge drinker) just do not fit in it anymore. I can honestly say that this past year has been the best year of my life. I have 1 year and 3 months, the first 3 months were difficult, but past that it kept getting easier and easier. Now staying clean is still something I have to work at, however, its not all encompassing like it used to have to be. Its always my first priority, but its become just a part of my routine.

Do you have a doctor monitoring your taper? I got off Suboxone after a 8 month taper and it still wasn't exactly easy. I do have to say, it was my first real detox without using other substances and it did seem to go by quicker.

It just takes time, what I try to do is think back to how I felt when I was in active addiction and in the first month of detox. If you are like me, you felt a hell of a lot better at 6 months then you did using and just detoxing.

Crazy thing is I do notice myself kinda forgetting how that felt (this is normal). I know it sucked and was a living hell so that is enough. Its hard to understand how I functioned in active addiction nowadays (towards the end I wasn't really but whatever)

Thank you Phactor! I'm really looking forward to be fine and stable. I'm proud of myself but I understand that it's a process and it may take some time until I feel happy and have more control over my feelings when I'm not.

Coming up on 3 years sober from all the heavy stuff in december this year. 6 months from the light stuff is in 4 days... I never thought i'd be able to say that o_O.

Status
Not open for further replies.