• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The strange withdrawal and side effects of poppy tea

noone1

Bluelighter
I've noticed poppy tea has many strange side effects and a withdrawal not typically associated with opiate use, most likely because of all of the different chemicals in there. I can't seem to find too much info on this and want to see if anyone else has had my experience.

This is what happens to me after getting strung out on PST and seems to be unique to it though I guess it could just be my own personal body chemistry and have nothing to do with the tea. The biggest strange side effect is wanting to sleep all day, most people write about insomnia but when i withdraw from the tea I can sleep for days and I'm not exaggerating. My body also feels very weak and sluggish, I barely have any strength at all.

To many this might sound better than staying up all night in anxiety and depression but I don't know about that. Feeling like you're in a coma is scary and the resulting back pain sucks bad.

The other is peeling skin. My face gets really greasy and breaks out in severe blotchy red pimples while I'm using but when I am off my skin starts to get really dry and starts to peel off like I had sun burn.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but these sound pretty unique and atypical symptoms. The rest is typical of opiate withdrawal; runny nose, dilated eyes, overtly sexual, extremely sensitive to pain and environment, severe depression and anxiety, etc, etc. Except it is drawn out. Just a quick comment but I can totally see how opiates cause people to have pain, I have occasional back problems and opiates end up making it worse. As soon as I finish withdrawal the pain disappears.

the sleeping thing is fairly uncommon, but when i was in wd's back in the early days when i was only using dhc or codeine or morph pills, i sometimes felt like that.

the peeling skin is a new one to me though. dont you get sweaty when youre in wds?

the peeling skin is a new one to me though. dont you get sweaty when youre in wds?

Nope but then I almost never sweat for any reason. I'm way past the age for having break outs. I'm sure it's all hormonal.

I've always gotten sleepy for a few days after poppy pod/seed binges. I've been doing them on and off for years.

^good to know it's not just me

Thought I would add, extreme hunger. I can gain 5 pounds in one day when I'm in withdrawal. I stuff my face until I'm sick. I remember in "the man with the golden arm" that the protagonist craves sugar after withdrawing but this is beyond that.