Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Fioricet / 75mg Butalbital) - First Time - Melty Body, Floaty Mind

Lady Codone

Bluelighter
Background: So my (awesome) doc gave me a scrip for 60 Fioricet for menstrual migraines today. Never tried a barbiturate before so this is a first. I'm currently sick with a cold and having my usual pelvic pain due to endometriosis...not feeling my best. Other drugs taken today include propylhexedrine, a tiny bit of 2-FMA and codeine hours earlier.

Dosing: Each pill contains 50mg butalbital/325mg APAP/40mg caffeine. I broke the first pill in half and took both halves about 15 minutes apart on a full stomach. Just downed another half for a grand total of 75mg butalbital and 60mg caffeine.

T + 30 minutes: First effects felt. It feels...strange. I feel unimpaired until I go to pour some water. Woops. Spilled it. Same with the cat food. My vision is definitely impaired now. The caffeine buzz is noticeable, probably because I took other stimulants today. My headache is gone though. Music sounds weird and typing is difficult. No euphoria per se, but my head feels floaty and somewhat dizzy. Not nearly as gross as I feel on alcohol but slightly similar.

T + 1 hour: This is definitely different than benzos or booze. The difference is hard to pinpoint though. My body feels heavy and melty but my head feels light. Inhibitions have evaporated. Wonder if it will give me rebound anxiety/depression like benzos do? Ugh. Hope not. Feeling pretty good right now though. I could see this having addictive potential if I wasn't so traumatized by benzo withdrawal. Music now sounds awesome. I'm not drowsy in the slightest...quite the opposite: the caffeine is making me super tweaky. Fioricet is like a poor (wo)man's speedball.

Conclusion: I'll add more to this report once the comedown/after effects have happened. For now, I'd rate it a solid 7 out of 10. The online reviews are mostly poor so I'm pleasantly surprised. So far, I prefer it to any benzo I've tried (which includes Xanax, etizolam, Ativan & Klonopin). I feel privileged to try a barbiturate, even if it's just butalbital. My mom was a huge fan of Seconal in the '60s so maybe I inherited her affinity for barbs, haha. =D

Last edited:
I just wrote a report of Propylhexedrine about 3 hours ago. How do you like it?

My first dose yielded no results other than a mild stim buzz, like taking ephedrine with caffeine. No major euphoria, even though I've read literally 50+ reports online of people reporting a ton of euphoria.

Just dosed again, this time the same amount as before but all at once. As last time I split it up.

Sorry, off topic to your post I know. Just wanted to bring it up since we're probably the only 2 people here right now actively using that drug.

Propylhex is the best OTC stimulant available. I find it very similar to a low dose of meth. I used it daily (in low doses) for 2 years straight and recently started again. Here's how I prepare it:

- Cut the cotton in half
- Soak in about 3 inches of water, stirring occasionally
- Sip slowly over the course of 5-7 days (you can begin drinking it after only 10 minutes of soaking, but letting the menthol evaporate off overnight helps prevent stomach pain).
- Leave cotton in water until it's all been consumed

You can add lemon or lime juice to the water if you want. Don't swallow the cotton. Not everyone finds Benzedrex euphoric or even decent, especially if they have a stimulant tolerance. But it's great for an OTC stim. It can raise blood pressure severely, as I found out today at the doctor :\

Consume over the course of 5-7 days on one cotton?! Lol. I consumed 2 cotton rods in about a 6 hour period and felt nothing more than an ephedrine like buzz, maybe comparable to phentermine without the appetite suppressant properties. I soaked mine in lemon juice for about an hour then drank it with soda. The euphoria was what I was really looking forward to ;(

^Yep. That's just me though. My heart is really sensitive to all stims, which means a tiny dab will do me ;) Sorry you didn't get much euphoria. I find Benny's to be (almost) on par with 2-FMA or Adderall.

Now back on topic before the mods shut me down. XD

Fioricet Next-Day Update:

Feel a little run over this morning, but no depression like with benzos. Hurray! I may have found a depressant that doesn't make me depressed. The caffeine really tweaked me out for most of the night, which I didn't like. If there was a way to CWE the caffeine out, I'd be all over it. (Unfortunately I don't have access to hydrochloric acid or lye to extract the butalbital...not that I'd feel comfortable working with those anyway). Maybe I'll try to get my doc to prescribe pure butalbital next time?!

I like your trip report. I also like how it made a left turn after you posted. I was able to take a brake from clonazepam with Fioricet.
If you can use it easily and not abuse it, the effects will stay the same and it will always work when you need it.

If you happen to get hooked on them and run out, IMO, it will be worse then benzodiazepine withdrawal.

Interesting you got effects from such a low dose. I've taken up to 3x50 mg fioricets and hardly noticed any recreational effects. It didn't even seem to help me get to sleep faster. Possibly one factor is having a migraine cancels out some of the enjoyment, but I don't find barbituates in general particularly recreational. Maybe the caffeine cancels out some of the sedative effects?

^^If you take Fioricet long enough, your body gets used to the caffeine, and the medicine has more muscle relaxing, hypnotic effects.
I went to hospital for really bad tension headaches. I was prescribed 1 tablet every 4 hours. I would refill 30 count bottles, every five days. I went through 180 tablets in roughly a month. During this time, I was able to prevent withdrawals and lower tolerance to clonazepam, and cure chronic tension headaches.
When I get a major tension headache, 1 pill aborts the headache.
I just thought I would add quality comments about the medication.
One thing to remember, if you start abusing this great medicine, it will quickly loose the quality effects and lead to very bad withdrawals.

If you happen to get hooked on them and run out, IMO, it will be worse then benzodiazepine withdrawal.

That's what I've heard. Will never get hooked on depressants again in this lifetime after 2 years of etizolam withdrawal hell. I'd probably have the kindling effect too since I've already been through it once. No thanks!

I did end up with rebound depression/anxiety from the butalbital that lasted about a day. Now I know my limits and won't exceed 3-4 pills in a month. They're fun but not worth the comedown. (I'm not even sure my headaches are migraines, but the pills definitely take my mind off the pain!) Just glad I wasn't prescribed Topamax or some other shitty migraine drug. %)

Thanks for the report :) I really wish barbs weren't so hard to come across! I had access to a bottle of Phenobarbital last summer, and that was a very fun month indeed, but I haven't been able to find barbituates since.