• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol 5mg klonopin a day...drinking for a month..CT?

thxdts

Greenlighter
Hello all,

I have come to these boards alot but finally decided to post..

I have been on 5mg klonopin a day for about 1.5 years now prescribed for anxiety (I know a high dose) . Over the last month I kind of fell off some and have had about 10-12 drinks per night. I want to CT the alcohol, but am nervous about the effects it could have, as I know what can happen when you CT benzos.

I know I have been drinking heavy, but has it been long enough? If I CT the alcohol and stick with with the 5mg of klonopin am I gonna have seizures/wd from the alcohol? Should I drop it to say 4 beers for a few beers then hop off? Did not really want to post this as I am not sure if I am going to like the answers but hopefully it's not to bad.

I would like to just stop the alcohol..not the klonopin yet but I don't know if drinking heavy for 20 days is going to cause problems trying to stop.

Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
5mg IS a lot and alcohol multiplies up the effect. You need to go slowly - 1 tonic-clonic can be fatal and the paramedics would just give you enough benzo for someone with no tolerance so ending the seizure could take a long time i.e. be very hazardous for you. TBH - if there is help to be had, get it; benzos make a H withdrawal look easy (and yes, I can compare).

Good luck man and know there are a lot of people here to help.

BB

Thanks for the response. I am not looking to get off the benzos right now. I am looking to cold turkey the alcohol I have been drinking for the last month, then work on the benzos. Sorry for the confusion.

you'd probably be okay, but you might be quite uncomfortable. maybe try just drinking a couple of beers per night for a week then stop altogether

Don't cold-turkey the alcohol - it works primarily (all of the positive effects) on the GABA receptors.

Go down 1 per night if you can't get outside help. But 2 GABA-mediated drugs at once is a favourite for ODs. Easily done. You take some Clonapin, have some beers and forget you already took it....

I guess you have to ask why your drinking - what it is a symptom of.

OP, if youve only been drinking daily for a month, you may feel some withdrawals, but not too severe. have you been having withdrawals through the day when you havent had a drink yet? any shaking or bad anxiety? just drop the amount you drink before hopping off completely.

id try 4 beers for a week, then 1-2 for another, then zero

how much alcohol are you drinking? How often? And for how long?

OP, if youve only been drinking daily for a month, you may feel some withdrawals, but not too severe. have you been having withdrawals through the day when you havent had a drink yet? any shaking or bad anxiety? just drop the amount you drink before hopping off completely.

id try 4 beers for a week, then 1-2 for another, then zero
Today is the first day without drinking tonight so I am not to sure yet.

quit drinking to see if you are gonna exp WD from the alcohol or not
if you get lucky and i say lucky you will feel a shit ton of anxiety, shaking, hot or cold/ flashes
within the first 72 hrs if shit is gonna hit the fan within that time frame is when its gonna happen
10 to 12 drinks is quite high and yes even for a month binge you can exp WD like what i mention above but i honestly dont think that short duration of a binge is enough to exp that or Delirium Tremens or seizures and shit like that but take this with a grain of salt it can happen ust depends on you
i actually went to the doc this morning about quitting alcohol also CT and the amount i consume is less than half of what you have been consuming but have been drinking for over 7 months daily
but i was told its not enough to exp extreme WD if anything hardcore anxiety well he basically said im gonna feel like shit and for me to take ativan as needed
you can even try to taper drink one less beer until you hit 0
like 10 today tomorrow 9 the day after 8 and so on which is also what the doc recommended
but since you are taking klonopin already which is what they give you during alcohol detox that or valium or librium and a shit ton of multivitamins
i honestly dont think you feel anything maybe add in extra but i doubt it but start taking multivitamins and stock up on gatorade and water your gonna need it

You're probably safe to just drop the alcohol if it's only been 20 days. Clonazepam will cover up any alcohol wd's you might have but keep some beers on hand to sip on if it becomes a problem.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll give it a go and see what happens. I was hoping the klonopin I take would help with the wd if I get any. I'll grab a 6 pack in case as well.

Really appreciate all the input.

DO NOT quit alcohol and benzos CT or cold turkey.

People have died from withdrawl from attempting to get sober from both drugs on their own cold turkey, or even trying to slowly quit on their own.

At the very least talk to a doctor and other medical professionals, and tell them how you want to get sober from alcohol and benzos. Or check into a rehab/detox center or go to a hospital. Benzo and alcohol withdrawl is no joke. Good luck, and stay safe.

i have to go with priest on this...every rehab i went to the people coming off of alcohol or benzos had it way worst than us opiate addicts. Yeah, every opiate addict feels lke they can die, but you can die from benzo and alcohol withdrawal.

you have one thing working in your favor. Clonazepam lasts for a very long time.

he isnt quitting the benzos though.

seriously, youll be fine. youve got your 6 pack if it becomes unbearable (which it wont).

every went on holiday and drank for 2 or 3 weeks daily? itll be just the same as that. probably unpleasant, but not dangerous.