Recovery options

yimmy12

Bluelighter
About five months ago I re-located to the Pacific NW after finishing the last of my time owed to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. I figured that starting completely fresh meant living in a new place too. After a brief stay at a halfway house I easily settled in with a new job and apartment. The only problem was that besides a few distant family members I barely know anyone out here and really miss my friends and family back home. And of course I dealt with this loneliness like any addict, I started getting high again.

Of course this hasn't helped or changed anything for the better. I have no idea what to do that will help me get out of this downward spiral of negative living. I've been through all sorts of rehabs and jails/prisons.

At this point I'm open-minded to almost any suggestion, although I prefer treatment options to be secular. I've had more than my share of faith-based care and it's not for me.

Thanks for your help, if I don't figure something out soon I'm afraid the next step is overdose, homelessness, or something else of that nature.

Have you tried going to meetings in a 12-Step based fellowship? Though not for everybody, they have helped millions free themselves from similar positions of hopelessness and resignation. They can also be wonderful places to meet people of all walks of life, providing a common ground and familiarity of experience that often gives rise to fruitful, meaningful and lasting bonds with others.

In our Sober Living forum, you'll find plenty of other options in addition to fellow sober individuals who, I'm sure, will have plenty of other input for you.

I'd like to suggest to TDS' moderators that this thread be relocated to SL, too, so that the OP receives as much beneficial input as possible based on the topic question.

Take care and rest with the knowledge that you do not have to go through this alone, nor feel lonely during the process. All great things have small beginnings.

~ vaya

Well it's time to try some new things isnt it since we know this life leads nowhere fast. I up and moved from NY to colorado knowing nobody so I can relate to you. I'd suggest :

-volunteering at soup kitchens or w.e. ; when I do it, it's 4 hours once a week/2 weeks, really as much or as little as you want. It's chill. We set up in a cafeteria for the first hour. We make PB&Js the next hour while packing take home bags for the homeless. The next hour we serve the people in need who come. Then we clean up and go home. Knowing im getting in to a car and going home while they are off to Fuk idek really makes you think. Just maybe it'll make you embrace your new freedom and not want to FUK up your last chance. (No offense not tryna be harsh)

-next, maybe join a hiking group, or a gym, or adult sports league if any of these are interest to you. I think nature can truly work wonders in how you view things, appreciate things, just feel things.

I lived just like you my friend. The "friends" and connections stay home when you leave but addiction which is in the brain follows you. I started getting connects in colorado and one thing led to another and a DWI hit and run followed---LUCKILY nobody was hurt and when i came back to NY I got an amazing job by knowing the right people, and don't chill with any bad influences anymore. Im no saint and still take subs, and once in a while some oxy or adderall, but im avout to buy a car, and start saving for a house. It's been the best year of my life so...

Im not being hypocritical because it took all that for me to be currently volunteering and involved in other activities. But im now on my last chance like you so just proceed with caution otherwise our one life here is gonzo.

Clearly you know this, and I commend you for reaching out. But typing words is the easy part. The hard part is getting away from the keyboard and putting the words in to actions.

Hit me up any time to bullshit or what not. Good luck homie

Have you tried going to meetings in a 12-Step based fellowship? Though not for everybody, they have helped millions free themselves from similar positions of hopelessness and resignation. They can also be wonderful places to meet people of all walks of life, providing a common ground and familiarity of experience that often gives rise to fruitful, meaningful and lasting bonds with others.

In our Sober Living forum, you'll find plenty of other options in addition to fellow sober individuals who, I'm sure, will have plenty of other input for you.

Take care and rest with the knowledge that you do not have to go through this alone, nor feel lonely during the process. All great things have small beginnings.

~ vaya

^ Absolutely!

I would also suggest something new, different. Although when moving it´ll make us carry our luggage to wherever we go.
I agree with volunteering work. It takes the attention off of yourself and make you focus on solutions that can benefit others.
It can really help you as it makes you feel good when your actions bring relief and support to those who are in need.

If you moved to a place where it is more difficult to obtain your drug of choice can also be quite helpful although at one point or another you´ll be craving for any other substance.

At the end I suppose we must face the problem, accept the condition we carry and deal with it. Try sticking around, sharing, joining AA or NA. And most importantly keep yourself busy. No matter what you may be doing it will take your thoughts away for sometime.

Good luck and keep trying! :)

Last edited:
Some good suggestions here. I dunno what drugs your doing as that makes a big differance on my suggestion. Like if your addicted to opiates I would suggest maintenance. The main thing is finding fun things to occupy your time. Also I think finding cheap or free interests you can do by yourself at home is key as well. Many people do video games. Like personally call of duty and shit doesn't Interest me but hardcore racing sims like Iracing and hard core flight sims do. I'm about to build a computer rig to better play these games. I'm using money I saved from not banging heroin.

I mean I still smoke weed though so I mean it is possible to do light drugs responsibly even for those of us who had past problems. I however do think that harder drugs like meth/ heroin ect will inevitably lead to legal problems one way or another. If you think your drug problem is spinning g out of control there are other things besides AA/NA. Smart recovery sounds cool though I've never been due to lack of meetings in my local. Or you could get into individual counseling. I think that has helped me more than any shitty rehab or jail ever has.

Anyway man just remember that you control your actions not the drugs. Don't do anything crazy and end up back In prison. That's the main objective. I'm sure you know how that can become a revolving door.

The guy a few posts up, I think his username is nygiants1313 gave some awesome advice man :)

Good luck

^ I agree very strong post

Learn what addiction is. Learn how it works and become proficient at recognizing, dealing with and quelling its manipulation.

If you can learn to see the illusion.. it will lose all its power. Figure out what it is and how it works and you will no longer get played ;)

You can do this.. if I can do it anyone can.

do a rehab look for a good one where your not allowed out on your own at the start. you will get the tools you need to live clean you will learn so much of course detox first go in clean get your knowledge learn about yourself simply comes down to a choice then. good luck I did my detox at home wish I had rehab still had 10 years clean