• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids ( HR) New to Hydromorphone

ImightBEaPOTATO

Bluelighter
Harm reduction question concerning Hydromorph Contin 18 mg. What would be the best and safest way to enjoy these during an outside festival. Is crushing them to negate the extended release formula a better idea? Weed will also be smoked all throughout the day of course.

I have NO tolerance to opiates. I took 20 mg oxycodone IR 2 years ago and tolerated it well besides being slightly light headed at some point, but laying down fixed the issue. Any suggestions/tips on how to stay safe are welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Time release pills are not the best idea for opiate naive/intolerant people, for the simple fact that if you take too much, you're going to be fucked up a LONG time. That may sound ideal to some, but puking your guts up all day is not fun.

The only ER hydromorphone i know of is Exalgo, which are basically defeated by crushing. The white part of the pill is the active stuff and without its outer shell, will dissolve completely in room temp water in 20 minutes (faster for stomach conditions). If you dont have that exact pill, all bets are off on defeating the time release via crushing (most if not all other ER opiates CANNOT be defeated this way).

You've got several problems here. First as the pp said, ER drugs aren't the best choice for an opiate naive person, especially someone who wants a quick high.

Second, hydromorph contin are capsules that have hard waxy bead inside. Beads that are very hard to crush, they squish but they don't powder up.

Third, people's experience with oral bioavailability of dilaudid vs oxy seem to be all over the place. IMO, 4mg of IR equals about 10mg oxy IR.

The best best was if you have enough to dose prior to make sure it's high enough without being unpleasant. You don't want to dose too high. No matter what you do they're never going to be IR. they take longer to start working (about 30-50 minutes longer than IR and that's if you chew)
If you take a 18mg as is, that'd be similar to having 20mg of oxy in your system for about 10 hours.
If you chew it, you'd get a release of about 30mg oxy equivalent 50-75 minutes in, and another 10mg 5 hours in.
Please be careful; I did the calculations above with my personal bioavailability . Check an equivalency chart and make your own plan .

Last edited:
how does 18 Mg equal more than 18? The poster above makes no sense there. Te idea is the peak blood plasma level is equal to the ir equivalent (50%--> 9 mg ir) for twelve hours.

Would you guys suggest that I divide the amoubt of beads since I have ni tolerance? I have a mg scale so that could be done

HM doesn't seem particularly enjoyable at an outdoor festival tbh. It can be a very subtle euphoria so you may not feel the full effect if you're surrounded by other sensations.

how does 18 Mg equal more than 18? The poster above makes no sense there. Te idea is the peak blood plasma level is equal to the ir equivalent (50%--> 9 mg ir) for twelve hours.

I was comparing hydromorph to oxy. In one point I mistyped dilly for oxy. Fixed.

Felonious Monk is correct. Opiates aren't really the go-to drug at music festivals . Everyone else will be on stimulants/psych actives, and you'll be nodding. Lol

I enjoy hydromorph more than oxy, but not orally...also, I think it's a tricky med for someone with no tolerance...especially as ER. Can you take something else?

We split the beads in 2 equal piles (yes, we weighed them), so we'll be doing 9 mg hydromoprhone ER instead of the original 18 mg. I'm thinking this won't be a full out buzz but more like a background feel-good sensation that'll last all day while we just enjoy joints and hashish.

Anyone disagree?

EDIT: Keep in mind we won't be doing this during all 3 days of the festival, only on the sunday 'cause there's less well-known bands/DJs. Friday and Saturday will be enjoyed with the classic psychs/molly/stims/weed.

I was comparing hydromorph to oxy. In one point I mistyped dilly for oxy. Fixed.
I see... imo They don't compare as they have activity in different areas. I use oxycodone/oxymorphine although running out of one I usually can't feel on base even raising the dose of the other. Morphine is sedating and codine stimulating in relationto opiate effect. Hydromorphone is more sedating and physical in nature and they shouldn't be as tollerant in that region while oc is more mental. anyways im done typing tired

Good idea, just dont crush or chew the beads... not sure on ER hydromorphone, but some ER morphine pills have naloxone in the beads which is absorbed if crushed. I think thats to stop IV use but to be on the safe side just swallow the beads w/o crushing them. enjoy the festival, and report back your experience!

Good idea, just dont crush or chew the beads... not sure on ER hydromorphone, but some ER morphine pills have naloxone in the beads which is absorbed if crushed. I think thats to stop IV use but to be on the safe side just swallow the beads w/o crushing them. enjoy the festival, and report back your experience!

Thanks mate, can't wait to be honest!

Just so you realize...18 mg of hydromorph contin is released over 12 hours. That equates to you getting 1.5 mg per hour. If you split them in half as you said, you will be on the equivalent of 0.75 mg per hour. Frankly speaking, even a nontolerant individual is not going to get even a laid back buzz from that dose.

In comparison, you tolerated 20 mg IR of oxycodone.

Im pretty sure you won't even notice 1.5 mg per hour.

Obviously you don't want to take too much, and I commend you on seeking advice, but I think some above posters are thinking in terms of your morphine being instant release when it is not.

Google and see for yourself "how much morphine is released per hour in a 18 mg hydromorph"

Anyway, so you have fun and don't have a disappointing time, I would take a few more pills along so you can hit a sweet spot...

That said have a great time!

Unless you're banging Dillies, they are useless otherwise. As an opiate naive person, you'd be better off enjoying the festival with some good weed or oxycodone. Otherwise, don't waste your time on a time release drug that isn't going to give you the kick in the ass you want.