• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Widespread panic fan dies at concert hogtied by police and EMTs. LSD or RC taken.

PriestTheyCalledHim

Bluelighter
This is very sad. My condolences to his family and friends.

FOX 13 said:
UPDATE Monday 12:42 PM:

The following details were sent to FOX13 from the Southaven Police Department Criminal Investigation Division:

SPD Officers were called to the 3400 block of Goodman Rd in reference to a disturbance between a male and female at approximately 7:45 p.m.
Police say the female on the scene told investigators her husband was not acting normal and she was trying to get him in the car with her
Officers on the scene say they observed the male “running from the area acting strange and not cooperative.”
According to the release, they attempted to detain the man who they say resisted and ran from them
Officers were able to restrain the man and “transferred him to an awaiting ambulance.”
He was transported to the hospital
Investigators say they learned in their initial investigation that the man had allegedly taken LSD in a parking lot before a concert
The man later died at the hospital, according to the release.
Investigators say an autopsy was performed this morning and they are still waiting on those results; the autopsy will include toxicology reports.

FOX13’s Tom Dees is waiting to hear from Goode’s attorney on this incident and for the results of the autopsy.

Southaven police say it happened around 7:45p.m. Saturday night on the 3400 block of Goodman Road. Police were responding to a call of a disturbance between a man and a woman. Lt. Mark Little of Southaven Police told FOX13 this is an ongoing death investigation.

The victim has been identified as 30-year-old Troy Goode by the family’s attorney, Tim Edwards. Edwards told FOX13 Goode and his wife were on their way home from a concert at Snowden Grove Amphitheater Saturday night. Edwards said following the incident with police, Goode was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital DeSoto, where he later died.

Both Edwards and Southaven police confirm Goode’s body has been sent to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Jackson for an autopsy.

FOX13 also contacted a representative for the Snowden Grove Amphitheater who said the case is under investigation and they have no other comment at this time.

Full story, and video at link:

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/2...he-death-a-southaven-man-sparks-investigation

Another article.

Yolanda Jones said:
Southaven police said Monday they are investigating to find out if the death of a 30-year-old Widespread Panic fan who died on his way to the concert Saturday was caused by an alleged LSD drug overdose.

Troy Goode, a chemical engineer in Memphis, died at Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto late Saturday.

Southaven Police Chief Tom Long said his officers encountered Goode after they received a call at 7:45 p.m. about a disturbance in a parking lot on Goodman Road.

“When officers got to the scene a man was acting erratically from an alleged LSD overdose,” Long said.

Long said police officers called paramedics and Goode was taken by ambulance to Baptist-DeSoto for treatment for a possible drug overdose. He said while Goode was at the hospital he died.

“This is an ongoing investigation as we try to find out more information about the alleged overdose including where the drugs came from and who acquired them,” Long said.

He added that investigators are awaiting the autopsy results and the toxicology report on Goode’s death.

“We are told the projected window for the toxicology report will be two months,” Long said. “This remains an ongoing investigation.”

Tim Edwards, an attorney representing Goode’s family, told The Commercial Appeal Sunday that the family has several questions and want answers about Goode’s death after his encounter with police.

“His wife was driving him home. She had stopped somewhere because he was acting rowdy or whatever. He got out of the car. (Someone) called the police down there. They came and found him, and what happened after that, how he ended up at Baptist Hospital, I don’t know,” Edwards said. “I do know that Baptist reported to Troy’s mother that he was stable and less than two hours later they called and said he’d expired.”

Edwards said Goode was asthmatic and worked for nexAir in Memphis. Edwards said he had a 15-month-old child.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...-link-in-widespread-panic-fans-death_25801677

I feel so bad for the wife of the man who passed. Whenever I hear stories like this I cant help but feel sad because it could easily be one of my adventures gone wrong. My biggest fear is that something like this would happen and my g/f would be left alone because of a stupid decision on my account. Sure we can go around placing blame, as is so common in our society, but at the end of the day a man died and a mother and child will never see him again. If only there were a way to stop all of this unneeded heart ache :(

I am curious as to if it does test as LSD-25. He was a chemical engineer, so obviously he had a good head on his shoulders. Must've been frying pretty hard if it was LSD and it killed him. I know it could've been the "anxiety" which caused a shortness of breath or something, or he tried to compensate by drinking beers in the parking lot and then later as a result of EMTs pumping him full of benzos when hes doing a freakout he overdosed on CNS depressants. I feel like it can't be LSD-25 alone that killed him. There's something missing. Weather its N-BOMe or DOX or the situation I just described. We're not geting the full story.

Sorry to hear of this. I hope those that love him find some peace at some point.

As long as proabition exists. .. test your shit. I know its not even close to bullet proof at this point. . Cant hurt.

Man who died after 'Widespread Panic' concert thought to have overdosed on LSD

SOUTHAVEN, MS (WMC) - Southaven police took a man into custody Saturday because he was acting erratically in public after leaving a concert at Snowden Grove Amphitheater.

That man died at the hospital.
Investigators said they were called to a disturbance on Goodman Road on Saturday.
Officers said witnesses told them Troy Goode was acting erratically because he overdosed on LSD after leaving early from the 'Widespread Panic' concert.

Video from witnesses shows Goode's legs tied behind him, as first responders put him on a stretcher and into an ambulance.

One witness, attorney David McLaughlin, said the incident concerned him.

"At one point in time, you can hear people gasp," McLaughlin said, referring to video his family members took of the incident. "From my vantage point, you can see he was convulsing and that's what had people scared."

McLaughlin added that what he saw before the video was shot had him most concerned. He said he saw Goode moving about erratically in the parking lot, but did not think he was a danger to anyone around him.

"The police officer at some point in time took him down to the ground and was on his back," McLaughlin recalled. "I thought that was odd."
McLaughlin said he told police that he was a lawyer and the methods they were using were extremely dangerous.

"He explained to me the paramedic was with him and didn't seem too concerned," he added.
McLaughlin said that not long after he watched Goode calm down in the stretcher, he died at the hospital. Now he has a lot of questions.

According to investigators, Goode stopped breathing and died about two hours after arriving at the hospital.

"I don't know who was in charge of monitoring his respiration," said McLaughlin. "At one point in the video, you can see no one is looking at his face."

Meanwhile, Goode's friends said they have just as many questions about that night.

John Milner said he's known Goode for seven years, and described him as a fun-loving father and husband.

"He was barely 130 pounds soaking wet," Milner added. "Why he would have to be subdued so roughly, I have a lot of questions about it."

Milner also said he didn't believe his friend had ever taken drugs like LSD before.

"Nothing like that, I mean, maybe a little bit of pot."

However, according to a Memphis police report from 2008, officers arrested Goode outside the Mud Island Amphitheater and accused him of disorderly conduct. When asked, he told officers he had taken LSD. When paramedics tried to take him to the hospital, he hit one in the chest and spit on them, then spit on an officer. Officers put him in restraints and took him to the hospital.

Still, Milner said after seeing videos of what his friend went through Saturday before paramedics took him to the hospital where he died in custody, he wants his questions answered.

"To me, this whole thing screams negligence, and I hope it's thoroughly investigated," he explained. "The bottom line is, they had him in custody and then he died, and that tells me somebody somewhere screwed up."

Autopsy and toxicology reports are scheduled on Goode's body to help investigators figure out if the LSD or anything else he may have taken could have contributed to his death.

When asked why Goode was restrained the way he was, a Southaven police spokesperson said, "It is normal protocol and procedure to use the restraint that is deemed necessary to stop an individual from continuing to hurt himself or herself or to protect medical personnel while they treat them."

http://www.cbs46.com/story/29587929...anic-concert-thought-to-have-overdosed-on-lsd

I can almost guarantee it was some weird ass RC. It's virtually impossible to OD on L.

I can almost guarantee it was some weird ass RC. It's virtually impossible to OD on L.
Yeah you would have to take hundreds of milligrams of LSD in order to overdose, and acid is sold in micrograms/ug.

I know you can test your acid to make sure it's actually LSD but I remember decades ago when you never had to worry about that, and the LSD sold then was of a higher ug than it is now. I basically stopped taking acid when research chemicals first showed up being sold as "LSD" more than a decade ago, and just used mushrooms and cannabis instead.

I found this article it's also sad.

Yolanda Jones said:
Did LSD cause fan's death or was it his arrest? Family wants answers

In 2008, as Widespread Panic was performing one of its endless jams at the Mud Island amphitheater, Troy Goode began “acting extremely strange,” according to a Memphis police report.

As he was being arrested for disorderly conduct, Goode resisted, hitting a paramedic in the chest and spitting on both a cop and the paramedic. When asked what drug he was on, Goode told police he’d taken LSD, according to the report.

“Suspect was finally subdued and placed in restraints,” the report says. “Suspect was transported to the (Regional Medical Center) and to police for holding.”

Southaven police believe Goode was on LSD again when he began acting erratically in Southaven Saturday night, as he and his wife Kelli were on their way to another Panic show.

But family and friends question why police hogtied Goode in their efforts to subdue him. It was this, family and friends believe, that led to Goode’s death at Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto a few hours later.

“The first question that ought to be asked of them is, how do they know the cause of death without an autopsy?” family attorney Tim Edwards said. “And if he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, why did they hogtie him? It is a known risk of positional asphyxiation to do that.”

The situation began around 8 p.m. Saturday in a parking lot in the 3400 block of Goodman Road. According to a witness, Kelli was driving and pulled over as Troy began acting strangely.

“All I could see was Mr. Goode moving about in the parking lot. She’s out of the car on the cell phone,” said David McLaughlin, a local attorney who was having dinner with his family at the Rancho Grande restaurant. “It appeared to me that he was maybe having some sort of fit. It looked like people were pleading, saying calm down. I was worried that he was going to run onto Goodman Road. He didn’t appear to be hostile.”

Officers soon arrived, Southaven Police Chief Tom Long said, in response to a 911 call. Edwards said Kelli didn’t call police.

“When officers got to the scene, a man was acting erratically from an alleged LSD overdose,” Long said.

Police have released few details about what happened next, but McLaughlin’s son Brady recorded a video that laterwas posted on YouTube.

The video is shot from a distance, but McLaughlin said they saw a single police officer arrive and try to subdue Goode.

“I saw Mr. Goode actually down on the ground being subdued by an officer who was sitting on his back,” McLaughlin said. “I’m worried about him being on his back. I’ve been in lawsuits where people have died (from that).”

Other officers arrived, McLaughlin said, and eventually, Goode was “hogtied,” meaning police put him on his stomach, then put his arms and legs in restraints behind him. Photos added to the video show Goode atop a stretcher while hogtied.

“You can’t see it on the video, but he was convulsing or fighting. He was clearly alive and moving. They start to move him toward the ambulance. We don’t see a lot more struggling,” McLaughlin said. “I was concerned for him. We all were.”

While apparently not illegal, hogtying is a controversial procedure that has been the subject of several lawsuits nationwide, including in Memphis.

“It’s nothing that’s illegal. It’s called restraining. We’re just basically keeping him from kicking and hurting someone,” Southaven Police Lt. Mark Little said.

Long said paramedics took Goode to the hospital for treatment for a possible drug overdose. He died there a couple of hours later, family said.

Long said a toxicology report may take two months.

Full story at link:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...-link-in-widespread-panic-fans-death_25801677

Last edited:
So far noone has ever managed to die from taking too much LSD and i doubt this person is the first case. So i call bullshit as well

Sounds like the cops killed him after arrest and are trying to cover it up. Hopefully the medical examiner isn't corrupt.

I had a couple bad freak outs and the one thing that always calmed me down was "you can't die from lsd", but with similar chemicals that are active at lsd's level and are decent enough for enough people to say is good, the whole game has changed.

Back when the only thing RC's stood for was remote control cars and trucks, I would jump at the chance to buy acid, because it was rarer than other drugs, synthetic psychedelics where very rare in my community, if not unheard of, so if you got a blotter,microdot,sugar cube, and you tripped it was by default lsd.

That market opened the floodgates to psychedelic rc's, which is why this should get made into a decriminalization debate, I hate to use tragedy but if this can be made as an example of a good person, a father, who only is known for maybe smoking cannabis, died because for too long novel psychedelics have been the most criminalized of any drugs, and as a result he might have ingested something besing passed off as lsd (which is non-toxic) that was really a fatally toxic rc psychedelic that was most likely prepared for sale by someone who has no qualifications to be dispensing gasoline let alone strong psychoactive drugs.

If sane well educated adults could buy pharmaceutical lsd, or pharmaceutical mdma, this certainly wouldn't of happened and almost all tragedies pertained to novel psychedelics and most black market problems would cease to exist.

To me, and I'm not a psychonaught, but lsd and mdma are the cream of the crop their two respected fields of chemicals. Sure there are others and everyone has different tastes, but I see the psychedelic black markets imploding if an adult could by government approved lsd or mdma. All the rc market is doing is mosquitoing, sucking on the overflow of blood from over-regulations (laws) and lack of established legitimate markets. I'm not trying to be overly harsh but the rc market has carried drugs that are known to be very lethal, way past enough bad reports or deaths tolls. Not to mention the fact that the same market has adopted benzodiazpines and opiods which again not trying to be harsh, but are so inappropriate for the average consumer let alone researcher. As the construction of said chemical is dictated not by safety but by structure and jurisdiction. Put greed into the equation and you have an outbreak of bad things that are bound to happen.

All I have to say in the end is that this is one of the worst ways anyone in 2015 can die and it is so easily avoidable.

I was coming over here to post this, just didn't know where. The whole thing is very much bullshit and I hope that justice will be served. Troy was a friend of mine. If you would like to donate to his family, here is the link.

http://www.youcaring.com/kelli-goode-395627

We are all at a loss for words about this right now, but I'm very proud of the widespread panic community, one that I've been a part of for over 20 years now, for having raised over 18k in one day.

The community has also been responsible for gaining global attention to the story. RIP, Troy.

And he did not die from taking LSD. He died from either police brutality or neglegence. Whether this falls on the hands of the cops or EMS, Troy did not die from taking too much acid. He had severe asthma and was hogtied, placed face down on the stretcher and taken to the hospital.

When his wife arrived at the hospital the police told her to go home or she, too, would be arrested. Lots of speculation going on right now, but they have the best attorney in Memphis on the case so I hope the real story comes out soon. However, the police have been scrambling to cover shit up on this since Saturday night.

If you're a widespread panic fan I can link you to places to buy stickers and shirts where all proceeds will go to his family. Just shoot me a PM.

Updated articles.

Jody Callahan said:
A preliminary ruling indicates Troy Goode may have died of a heart-related problem, DeSoto County Dist. Atty. John Champion said Tuesday.

Goode, 30, was on his way to a Widespread Panic concert in Southaven Saturday when he began acting erratically, forcing his wife to pull over in a parking lot on Goodman Road. Reports indicated he’d taken as many as 4-5 hits of LSD, Champion said.

Police eventually subdued Goode and took him to Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto, where he died a few hours later.

Full autopsy results likely won’t be available for a month, Champion added.

“Basically, (it was) a form of a heart attack. His heart was racing so heavy,” Champion said.

Family and friends have said they believe that officers who subdued Goode caused his death by hogtying him, with his hands and feet locked behind his body.

Champion disputed that Tuesday.

“That’s not indicated by the medical examiner at this point. But he ran about a quarter-mile from the officers. I know where the family’s coming from, but I don’t think that will be the case,” he said.

Champion also defended the restraint method officers used, calling it legal.

“There is an opinion that says that doing that is not excessive force.

“According to the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, when you’ve got somebody kicking emergency personnel and police officers, they (can) put leg irons on him,” Champion said. “They were restraining his legs to keep him from injuring himself and emergency and police workers.”

Champion also said that, when officers attempted to subdue Goode, he tried to run onto Goodman Road. Goode also opened the door to the canine unit, and a dog bit him. Preliminary information said Goode had no internal injuries, just the dog bite as well as bruises and scrapes, Champion added.

“He was still fighting and kicking the law-enforcement officers and emergency personnel. They put leg irons on him and he was transported to the hospital,” Champion said. “He was fighting the hospital personnel so they moved him to the back of the hospital where he wouldn’t interfere with other patients.”

Goode family attorney Tim Edwards couldn’t be reached Tuesday afternoon for a response.

Full story at link:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...ic-fan-died-of-heart-problem-da-says_36280687