• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Widespread panic fan dies at concert hogtied by police and EMTs. LSD or RC taken.

Oliver Laughland said:
The family of a man who died after being “hogtied” by police in Southaven, Mississippi, say they were threatened with arrest after they requested to visit him in hospital before his death.

Troy Goode, a chemical engineer from Memphis, Tennessee, died on Saturday evening after Southaven police were called to a reported disturbance. Goode was arrested after “acting strange” and resisting officers, according to police. Goode and his wife, Kelli, had attended a rock concert in the city and the 30-year-old father had taken LSD, according to police.

Eyewitness video shows Goode was placed face-down on a stretcher with his arms and legs bound during the arrest, before he was placed in the back of an ambulance. He told officers he was having trouble breathing whilst in this position, according to lawyers for the Goode family. He died in hospital around two hours later.

“The use of force was unnecessary. Troy was not a threat to anyone,” attorney Kevin McCormack, who represents the Goode family, told the Guardian. McCormack added that as a cause of death had yet to be established, the family were not yet calling for criminal charges against the officers.

We are calling for an investigation by the Mississippi attorney general and we’ll have to wait for the autopsy report to determine cause of death to decide exactly what action should be taken,” he said.

According to the lawyer’s account, Kelli Goode had asked Southaven police officers if she could accompany her husband to the hospital but was told she would be arrested for obstruction of justice if she arrived at Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto, where her husband was taken.

McCormack says family members later called the hospital and were told again they would be arrested if they visited. It is unclear if police or hospital staff members made these comments, and neither responded to a request for comment by deadline.

“No mother and no wife should be prevented from doing that,” McCormack said. “They were obviously distraught. They didn’t know ... what Troy’s condition was, they didn’t know if he was going to be OK.”

Within an hour of the second visitation request, the hospital called the family to confirm Goode had died.

The eyewitness video was posted to YouTube by David McLaughlin, an attorney based in Memphis, and appears to show the aftermath of Goode’s arrest. He is surrounded by a large group of officers as he is wheeled to the ambulance on a stretcher.

“Video it Brady, just in case he dies,” says a voice off camera.

“He is really white,” says another voice, in reference to Goode.

“They’ve got him hogtied,” says another.

The video stops as officers point at the cameraperson. Bystanders were threatened with arrest for filming the incident, according to a statement issued by Goode’s lawyers.

McLaughlin, who was eating dinner with his family at a nearby restaurant, later told local newspaper the Clarion-Ledger that he had initially looked out the window to see Goode talking to police before backing away from them in an erratic manner.

The lawyer then walked outside and saw Goode on the ground with an officer on his back. According to the newspaper’s account, McLaughlin then walked back inside the restaurant before returning outside to see Goode was at this point hogtied on the stretcher.

“Paramedics arrived on scene, and I see them put him in a four-point restraint or hogtie, I don’t know how else to describe it,” McLaughlin told the Clarion-Ledger. “His legs were crossed, pulled back, by my vantage point, his hands were pulled back, and I think affixed to at least one of his legs.

“He looked to me like he was struggling or convulsing or both. He appeared to be in distress to me.”

Goode’s is the second death in police custody to occur in Mississippi this month, according to The Counted, an ongoing investigation into officer-involved deaths in the United States.

Jonathan Sanders, a 39-year-old unarmed black man, died after reportedly being placed in a 20-minute chokehold by a Stonewall police officer. The medical examiner has provisionally ruled Sanders died of asphyxiation, according to attorneys.

Goode was the father to a 15-month-old son and worked as a plant engineer for nexAir, a local industrial supply company. He was also a local charity volunteer, according a statement from the family’s lawyers.

Asked by the Guardian if the family planned to launch any civil litigation over the case, McCormack responded: “All options remain on the table.”

Full article at link: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...lice-dies-wife-alleges-threats-hospital-visit

Associated Press said:
SOUTHAVEN -- A Tennessee man who died hours after he was detained by police in Mississippi had been hogtied face-down on a stretcher, according to a witness.

But a state official said later Tuesday that a preliminary investigation indicates no police misconduct.

Multiple news outlets report that 30-year-old Memphis chemical engineer Troy Goode died in a hospital Saturday night, two hours after being detained by the Southaven Police Department.

Tim Edwards, a lawyer for Goode's family, told the Associated Press on Tuesday, "Positional asphyxiation is what we believe was the most likely cause of death."

Edwards said he has hired a forensic pathologist to complete an independent toxicology report. He did not name the pathologist. Edwards said the medical examiner in Jackson has completed an autopsy and the body has been released to Goode's family.

The district attorney who said he was asked by the Southaven Police Department to conduct an independent investigation of Goode's detention and death said he was told by DeSoto County Coroner Jeffrey Pounders on Tuesday that preliminary autopsy findings show Goode likely died of "either a heart or lung condition." John Champion, district attorney for the 17th District, told The Associated Press that "unless something changes" with the autopsy findings, he is going to conclude that "there was no misconduct on behalf of police."

Pounders is the official who ordered the autopsy, according to Champion, who confirmed that the autopsy was conducted by the state medical examiner's office in Jackson. Champion said it will be weeks before a final toxicology report is ready.

Goode and his wife, Kelli, had been on their way to a Widespread Panic concert in Southaven that night.

Edwards said Goode and his wife were in the parking lot of the concert when they decided to leave. They then stopped at another parking lot, near a restaurant. He said Goode had taken a small amount of LSD. He said other "participants" in the drug did not experience any trouble.

Southaven Police Chief Tom Long had said authorities were called to a parking lot and emergency personnel detained Goode and took him to Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto, where he died a few hours later.

"Officers were informed that the individual acting erratically was doing so on an alleged LSD overdose," Long said.

David McLaughlin, a Memphis attorney, said he witnessed the incident and posted a video of the arrest on YouTube, saying it shows Goode being restrained, face-down on a stretcher with his legs pulled back and bound, the Clarion-Ledger newspaper of Jackson reported.

"Paramedics arrived on scene, and I see them put him in a four-point restraint or hogtie, I don't know how else to describe it," McLaughlin told the newspaper.

McLaughlin added, "He looked to me like he was struggling or convulsing or both. He appeared to be in distress to me."

The video, also posted by WREG-TV of Memphis, appears to have been shot from across a parking lot and shows a man, identified by McLaughlin as Goode, on a gurney being loaded into an ambulance.

Long said in an email that Goode was "acting strange and not cooperative." He added, "Officers attempted to detain the subject who began to resist and run from them again."

Long said in his statement that paramedics took Goode to the hospital for treatment for a possible drug overdose. Long said a toxicology report may take two months. He said an autopsy was conducted at the crime lab in Jackson.

Asking about the hog-tying incident, Southaven police spokesman Lt. Mark Little told news media outlets that "it's nothing that's illegal."

"It's called restraining."

"We're just basically keeping him from kicking and hurting someone," Little said.

Edwards said the family is distraught and looking for answers, but they are not jumping to conclusions. Family members are not commenting because they are "not in the frame of mind" to do so.

Edwards said Goode was 6-foot-1, 145 pounds and a "rail thin," intelligent man who worked as an engineer for nexAir, a distributor of atmospheric gases and welding supplies based in Memphis. He said Goode graduated with honors from Christian Brothers University in Memphis.

"This guy was exceptional. He was quite bright," Edwards said.

"He was not a criminal," Edwards added. "He was a highly compensated individual who made a mistake, and now he's dead because of it," Edwards said.

Full article at link:
http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=43388#ixzz3gdUMcSaE

I feel so bad for the wife of the man who passed. Whenever I hear stories like this I cant help but feel sad because it could easily be one of my adventures gone wrong. My biggest fear is that something like this would happen and my g/f would be left alone because of a stupid decision on my account. Sure we can go around placing blame, as is so common in our society, but at the end of the day a man died and a mother and child will never see him again. If only there were a way to stop all of this unneeded heart ache :(

The feeling is mutual - always tragic to read about another young man or woman passing away like this, particularly if the deceased leaves behind a spouse and/or children :(

Law enforcement involved in yet another slaughter.

Wonder how long till we see the aquital headlines.

If there was diferent policy and properly trained harm reduction people.. like the good Zendo people this person would be still alive.

Stories like this make me sick.

But just the same, I'm not at all surprised.

The sad part is that this could have been anyone who has ever been to a live music event/concert, or who has gotten too drunk or high and been in public.

http://www.ems1.com/ems-products/pa...side-perspective-on-hogtied-patient-who-died/

Quick Clip: Grayson's inside perspective on "hogtied" patient who died
Inside EMS co-host Kelly Grayson provides information from EMS colleagues who were witnesses at the scene, who say the incident appeared to be a case of excited delirium

In this week’s Inside EMS quick clip, co-host Kelly Grayson brings an inside perspective from colleagues who witnessed the scene of a man who died after being “hogtied” to a stretcher.

The district attorney’s office ruled that Troy Goode, 30, died of a heart-related problem. Goode was behaving erratically after four to five hits of LSD, fled from police and fought with EMS and hospital personnel before his death.

“It paints a pretty clear case of excited delirium,” Grayson said. He said Goode was face down for more than a couple of minutes, then rolled onto his side. “I think it’s unfair to blame the EMS crew for this guy’s death, or to even blame hogtie restraint.”

So far noone has ever managed to die from taking too much LSD and i doubt this person is the first case. So i call bullshit as well

That's not true. Someone in Kentucky shot up 320mg and died. There was also a non-lethal case where people snorted cocaine-sized lines of LSD.

Someone in Kentucky shot up 320mg and died.

I beg your pardon? Three hundred twenty milligrams of LSD? I don't care if that statement can be substantiated or not, the idea alone blows my mind. Heh, if there is any basis in fact concerning this, I imagine that individuals mind was "blown" as well.

I know it was hot as hell that day. I figure between the heat and dehydration, his heart gave out. Really sad.

what did the wife who supposedly witnessed the arrest see or have to say about if they mightve injured him critically or not?

That's really fucked up.
He looked like a gentle and caring husband, father and friend. I hope the police actions are thoroughly investigated and charges laid if appropriate.
Again, i'm really sorry for your loss - and that of his family. This 'war on drugs' is a disgrace.