The new phish appreciation thread

Speed King

Bluelighter
Welcome to the new Phish Appreciation thread.
I dig Phish in so many ways, I couldn't possibly explain.
Just bought my concert ticket and ready to bounce around the room.
If you like Phish post here.

Last edited:
This thread is about anything Phish. The best songs, the best shows, the best parking lot scenes, best venues. You name it, it belongs here.

I don't think I've ever listened to Phish - what song would you recommend for a total noob?

Phish rules face. I've seen a lot of shows. Excited for Atlanta next weekend. Trey made us proud in chicago.

Ok, I'm gonna get stoned and relax. If anyone is streaming hope you enjoy the tour opener. They kinda sound like shit tonight, but they'll pick it up. Peace out jiggas

Pretty meh first set, but I'm still expecting this to be a good tour. Going to bed now, but will listen to the second set tomorrow.

Phish
Les Schwab Amphitheater
Bend, OR

July 21, 2015 (Tuesday)

livephish.com

Set One: Sample in a Jar, Sand, 555, Rift, Halfway to the Moon, Horn, Devotion to a Dream, Blaze On, Tube, Wolfman's Brother

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seeing them August 7 in Ohio. I've been digging them a while, but actually my first show.
They have a lot of great hits like Down with disease, Reba, Split open and melt, just to name a few. Looking forward to it.

I don't think I've ever listened to Phish - what song would you recommend for a total noob?

depends: You Enjoy Myself, Harry Hood, Stash

more rock type songs: Character Zero, Chalk Dust Torture, Axilla, NICU, Mike's song

Great live album: New Year's Eve 1995

Chalk Dust Torture is fucking great, especially if you get into one of the 18:00 long versions. Bathtub Gin, 46 Days, Suzy Greenburg and Llama, just to name a few.
Too much to list.
YouTube does great by having a lot of great shows listed. Their list of top 15 Phish tracks will get the ball rolling.
Phish isn't everyone's cup of tea, just most of them:) IMHO.

Last edited:
I like to introduce noobs to the funky shit and then tackle the more complicated stuff.

Moma Dance, Tube, Wolfmans Brother, ACDC Bag, Ghost

Some covers as well....Boogie On Reggae Woman, Sneakin Salley, Timber Ho, Crosseyed and Painless, etc

Hell, just put on Dayton 97.

I cleaned up this topic a bit.

Chicken scratch, there is really no need for those sort of slowly evolving multi-posts. It seems you were just adding in the name of the next track and reposting the same thing over and over. Not really required (though I appreciate your enthusiasm :)) It just makes the thread really confusing. I admit, I am easily confused...

Don't know much phish TBH. I listened to a bit of their stuff some years ago- must admit, it didn't move me. I'd be receptive to some suggestions of course.

Nice Sigmond. Great example of a Phish jam.

Thanks, I was actually there standing in mud up to my mid ankles and enjoying every second of it...(well, almost)

Prefer not to mention my age, but at the time I was not yet 17. I could ramble on how this show was a 'phishtopia' relative to the the preceding shows I went to during this tour.

phishtopia meaning 'Utopian phish concert'- I mention this because I googled phishtopia and something else came up.

Hope you enjoy the show you're going to.

Last edited:
I will post as to how it was for anyone who may care or may be going to a future date on the tour.

willow11, first, danke schon for cleaning the unnecessary posting up. Secondly, check out Phish on YouTube. They have the top fifteen Phish tracks, almost every album, and loads of full concerts on there. For example they have a "Bathtub Gin" from 7/22/2015. That's barely two days ago(pretty cool also). I'm sure you will find something by Phish that you like. Check out the live stuff. It will give you a better taste of their music, though there is no wrong way to approach them.

Last edited:
I was just posting the setlist in real time during the show.

Shoreline tonight. Every show I've ever seen there was epic. 97, because it was only my 8th show and my first time at shoreline. Both nights of bridge school benefit in 98, acoustic shows and yea, Neil young. 99, Phil and warren come out and play some dead (although I got busted after Chula Vista outside of Irvine and spent the next 3 nights in jail, missing the next 3 shows I was supposed to be at). Then 2000, last shows before hiatus and bobby coming out to play some dead. I bet bobby comes out tonight. Wish I was there.

That Darien show was boss. I'm partial to the drowned and crosseyed Darien jams in the second set, though. But that Suzy is great.

Pumped for Atlanta next weekend. My last shows were Eugene and Seattle last fall and I'm still farting rainbows from dead in Chicago a few weeks ago.

Got my let trey sing shirt in the mail today because I'm custie as fuck.

I was just posting the setlist in real time during the show.

Shoreline tonight. Every show I've ever seen there was epic. 97, because it was only my 8th show and my first time at shoreline. Both nights of bridge school benefit in 98, acoustic shows and yea, Neil young. 99, Phil and warren come out and play some dead (although I got busted after Chula Vista outside of Irvine and spent the next 3 nights in jail, missing the next 3 shows I was supposed to be at). Then 2000, last shows before hiatus and bobby coming out to play some dead. I bet bobby comes out tonight. Wish I was there.

That Darien show was boss. I'm partial to the drowned and crosseyed Darien jams in the second set, though. But that Suzy is great.

Pumped for Atlanta next weekend. My last shows were Eugene and Seattle last fall and I'm still farting rainbows from dead in Chicago a few weeks ago.

Got my let trey sing shirt in the mail today because I'm custie as fuck.

I can see where the mod considered that to be excessive posting, but live posting a show is supercool in my book. If you do that at a live show again, maybe every few songs update the list. I still think what you did was way cool and I'll support the posts, and beg the mod to let it slide if need be.

Here's a different question that you( or anyone else) could answer. How are the cops/security at the venue. I am going to a place that technically is owned/run by the metroparks. I here rumors of UC's and leos. I read the Phish tour rider on "The Smoking Gun" and it sounded like Phish instructed security to be chill, yada, yada, yada. The phans like to chill in the lot and come in right before the show starts. I guess I'm getting psyched about going to the show. Stay cool brother.

I haven't been to Cuyahuga Falls in 15 years, but I remember it being a pretty chill scene. Just don't act a fool and you'll be fine.

^^Thank you. That relaxes me a bit. I will chill out a bit now. I read that the show is at 7:00pm but the lot opens at 12:00 or 12:30pm.
I'm looking forward to the parking lot and shakedown street just as much as the show.