Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Low dosing Tramadol for mood

Ratched

Greenlighter
I've never done "drugs" and after surgery I was left with a large unused bottle of liquid hydrocodone. I stumbled upon Tramadol accidentally. It was prescribed to me after getting stitches. I filled the script "just in case." I have taken a handful of opiate in my lifetime mostly after a surgery and at the dentist.

I had stomach surgery and I can no longer take NSAIDS the rest of my life because it could cause ulcers. I had cramps and a migraine from hell and thought I would take a couple ibuprofen and I ended up feeling like my stomach was going to bleed out. It was the worst pain. I decided I would never do that again! So I hoarded my ultram and Norco for the next time I had killer cramps with a migraine.

Just like clock work my period came around and the crippling effects from cramps and a migraine showed up. I took one ultram and laid down. An hour later I was floating and I got up and was cooking, laughing and dancing in the kitchen. It gave me a strong euphoria and took away my lady pain.

Just like any other person you want to get that feeling back when it leaves so I took a second and "Smack" I ended up with this dreaded opiate feeling and I just slept. The party was over and there was no getting it back. Oh and it made me nauseated too. Not the fun I was expecting.

I went directly onto the internet and started my investigation. I found out that this drug has a wide range of effects on people. It appears people with no opiate history can actually enjoy this medication if you fall into a certain group.

I have tried this drug many different ways and this is my "Best Results" to achieve that original experience.

First of all, more does not get me "more." It gets me sick. Low doses work best and only if I haven't taken it in 3 days minimum. So basically it has to clear my system. **sad face**

I cut and take half a 50mg pill and enjoy with white grape juice and a cup of grapefruit.(when I first wake) I take the other half just before lunch. I can do this for two days and achieve that original feeling. The third day has diminishing returns.

12-24 hours after last does I have that dope sick feeling but not severe. Just a sad achey feeling that I work through with the steam room, hot-tub or physical labor. I get over it and I'm back to original status by Friday.

On Friday when I get off work I take my first half before dinner and slowly enjoy one glass of wine. I can stay euphoric most of the weekend but I'm back to Pooperville Monday morning.

I do not feel like I have an option to get more out of this drug personally. I only get desired effects for 2-3 days and it's gone and nothing will bring until it clears my system for a few days.

Clearly I could get high from hard drugs or even some street drugs but I do not want to get that started. I've never done street drugs or used opiates for fun and I do not plan to start. I'm like a mouse nibbling at a piece of cheese and I won't allow it to go further. If this little thing I have going ever ends I'll just let it go. The way I see it is that 3 ultram a week isn't going to put me on some watch list or cause me to loose my job or my life. It's just my sneaky little picker upper for the weekend. :)

Has anyone else experienced this or understand the chemistry behind this? It's definitely weird and something I've never heard anyone else experience.

Last edited:
Oh I would also like to add that I had weight loss surgery so I have a prescription for a nasal spray called "Nascobal" Cyanocobalamin 500 mcg/spray (Fancy ass Vitamin B)
I use my one time use nasal spray on saturday morning and it doubles my fun for 12 hours especially when I'm sipping on Sambazon Amazon Energy Drink (organic Acai berry caffeinated energy drink)
A Yummy Ice cold energy drink combats any downer feelings the opiate side of tramadol can cause. Over eating also ruins it too and can result in just sleeping. I take it for mood and energy, not sleep.

It is true! Grapefruit juice has potentiated the therapeutic level of Tramadol. I take 25mg in the a.m. and 25mg in the afternoon (smaller than my prescribed dose!) and I'm in a really good mood. I feel relaxed and happy. (no cognitive impairment though; not a real trip, sorry)

I ate a fatty meal one day with my small dose stacking and it ruined my day. The next day I had sashimi (raw fish) and then went swimming in the sun and I felt like I was 16 again. Especially with the grapefruit juice.

I cleaned my whole house, cooked dinner and did all my homework. No nap and no picking (I have Dermatillomania)

Also, Tramadol ruined my craving for booze. I have no desire to drink alcohol. I don't know what to think about that. I have ruined 2 glasses of wine. The wine glass turned into a fly catcher.

I think your post is interesting. You made some real good observations about Tramadol. I have just recently been prescribed Tramadol myself and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it.
I myself am experienced with opiates and am still able to get positive, opiate like effects from therapeutic dosages.
I find the fact that you have lost your desire to drink alcohol very positive and interesting.
Thanks for the report.

Hey Ratched...I am only now "finding out" that Tramadol can help with depression. I took it for a couple of years (GP prescribed for pain, which it didn't help).

My story is long and not a good read for most. I noticed your bariatric surgery. I had GBP in 1987 and have kept all my weight off. I have not had a "well day" since, it seems. I can't blame the surgery, because I've battled stage 4 endometriosis and pain in my spine and joints, too. My bariatric surgeon didn't follow up with B12, which I now know is essential to mental health. I was in deficit for so many years, my depression consumed me.

I won't re-type my saga, but you can search if you want. I'd like to talk with you and compare notes. For the past 2 weeks I've been trying Kratom. I HAVE TO USE capsules because I'll spew like a shaken soda. The amount of capsules (10) just causes gastric distress in my tummy pouch. I can see where it could help my mood thereby my ability to cope with 24/7 pain.

I'm thinking of dragging out my Tramadol and substituting that for the Kratom. I remember Tramadol as being extremely constipating for me. I already have IBC. I'm a hot mess prior, but especially worse (inconsolable) since losing my fir baby Dal to heart failure this week.

Somebody...Anybody...Please HELP!!!

Tramadol is a strange drug. I used to take it for killer cramps but it made me feel like crawling out of my skin. Randomly, though, it would make me feel really high and happy for the whole day.

My tolerance to the negative effects of opiates (nausea, dizziness, sedation) does not increase no matter how long I use them. Which is good because it ensures that I never increase my dose much. Tramadol is an SNRI and an opioid (among other things), so it has lots of atypical effects. I'm sure it could have an antidepressant effect in some folks. It stands to reason that withdrawals are hell since it's like quitting an opiate and an antidepressant at the same time.

I much prefer codeine or dihydrocodeine over tramadol, but you're smart to not go down that path.