MAPS Psychedelic Psychotherapy in Europe

5-HT2

Bluelight Crew
I recently moved to Europe and am getting involved with the community of researchers and activists over here. Does anybody know whether any country in Europe has a history of psychedelic psychotherapy similar to the US, in which thousands of mental health professionals have used psychedelics in their practice over the past 5 decades? I am particularly interested in places like the Netherlands where some psychedelics are legal or very decriminalized. The like-minded Dutchies who I've talked to so far do not seem to know much about this so that got me wondering whether it existed at all on this side of the pond?

In the early years psychedelic research was common. Many countries in Europe have similar traditions to what we have in the United States. Early prohibition of psychedelics began in the United States during the late 1960s. The open research of psychedelics was ended internationally in 1971 with the adoption of The United Nations Convention on Psychotropic Substances. Though strict prohibition remains, several countries have loosened restrictions on research and we are seeing change.

The burden of mental illness in the developed world is high. How our society could compassionately get these people healthy remains a major dilemma. This is especially obvious with veterans. The cognitive trauma and emotional dissonance generated in these people is a result of complex problems. We are learning pursuing the research of psychedelics could result in relief and possibly cures. Perhaps within our lives we will witness the complete integration of psychedelics in our society. I think we all dream of when these parts of our lives aren't secret. Through these organizations, in Europe progress is being made.

Beckley Foundation (Oxfordshire, England)

EmmaSofia (Oslo, Norway)

Multidisciplinary Association of Psychedelic Studies aka MAPS (Santa Cruz, California, United States of America with projects in various European countries)

Last edited:
Hey 5-HT2! I have been absent for a while but thought I would direct your attention towards the OPEN Foundation. They are the only organisation in the Netherlands dedicated to stimulating research into psychedelics. As a matter of fact, they recently launched their third conference - the Interdisciplinary Conference on Psychedelics Research. Judging from their previous conferences (in 2010 and 2012) they are dedicated to promoting serious academic research and kinda shy away from psychedelic culture. Don't know if there's a psychedelic psychotherapy scene as such in the Netherlands, but the primary spot to get involved in psychedelics and research would be OPEN. :)