• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

methadone - when to stop raising dose

seanimal

Bluelighter
So I have just started on a methadone maintenance program 2 days ago. They started me out on 30mgs, and today raised me to 40mgs.
At 30mgs, I felt pretty good, but did not sleep that night. I am assuming its because it was too low of a dose. I will see how 40mg effects me.
My question is, will it be reasonable to stay stable on ~60mg? Is there benefit in going to higher mgs such as 100, 120, etc? Will I have to raise my dose if I DID stay on 60mgs for a few months? I want to feel a small mood lift, and of course, not be sick ALL day.
Anyways, thanks all. Feeling nervous about this methadone thing, but I tried suboxone to get off shooting dope, and it just didn't work at all with cravings.

I would recommend raising the dose until you feel functional and normal, neither high nor sick, then stopping. If you keep raising the dose trying to chase a buzz/mood lift, eventually you'll develop a tolerance and lose the mood lift, then you'll be right back where you started, either feeling normal or raising the dose yet again to get the buzz for a few weeks. That's how people end up on absurd 100mg+ doses which take months/years to taper off (and cause horrible side effects).

I would recommend raising the dose until you feel functional and normal, neither high nor sick, then stopping.

Thank you for your reply Crankinit. So if I found a comfortable dose, would I ever have to raise it again in the future because of tolerance? In other words, once I find a comfortable dose (neither high nor sick), will it ALWAYS keep me comfortable? Or will I end up having to raise it after a while?

I had the same thought as you OP. It took me awhile but I found a dose I like at 110mg. I get a nice warm feeling after I dose. And it holds me all day. I honestly probably could have stayed at 80 but I kept relapsing so I went up too a blocking dose. You will know what you need when you get there. Don't be fixated on a number. The withdraw from 80mg or 110mg isn't going to be drastically different.

I would stay at 40mgs and wait for your system to adjust.

The higher you raise the dose the the farther you will have to travel back if you ever desire to get of the methadone. Also there are greater possible negative side effects for doses over 40mgpd.

Here is some information about the medication.

Methadone side effects, separating fact and fiction.

Low vitamin d status of patients in methadone maintenance treatment.

Methadone

Neuropathic Pain: Causes, Management and Understanding

Hypogonadism and Low Testosterone Levels as a Side Effect of Methadone and Buprenorphine

Opioid-Induced Endocrinopathy

Last edited:
Great response neversick, The more you take the longer it will take to get you off the stuff when it comes time. Let your body adjust to the 40 mgs, it will adjust to it. The whole reason for taking it is to get you clean. I see people raising and raising just so they can feel a high but that isnt the reason for taking the drug. I got clean from Methadone over two years ago cold turkey, Just stopped one day. Got sick of the life. Now im loving life! It can be done just put your mind to having a clean one.

The other thing is you are not stuck at that dose. I went up to 90mg as did my g/f, she being much smaller then me was KOed for a few weeks and then she started lowering her dose. Her "sweet spot" that she stayed at for a few months was 70mg and I stated at 90mg and have since started tapering. But as others said you shouldnt care about the number and you should know that you are trying to feel normal which means no "looking forward" to going to the clinic because that is what will make quitting hard.

Its different for everyone so you shouldnt worry about coming off of it. If you do it right coming off of it shouldnt be hard as who cares if you drop by 1mg a week and take 2 years to taper its completely on you. The only people who have issues are not doing what they need to do for themselves, which no one can tell you its different for everyone.

The biggest part is getting on methadone and staying off other opiates. You need to deal with what causes the desire to use if your not sick, which is the only time you "have to use" Once you do that you can worry about your dose levels but first address the issues that cause you to use while on methadone (if you continue to do so)

The other thing is you are not stuck at that dose. I went up to 90mg as did my g/f, she being much smaller then me was KOed for a few weeks and then she started lowering her dose. Her "sweet spot" that she stayed at for a few months was 70mg and I stated at 90mg and have since started tapering. But as others said you shouldnt care about the number and you should know that you are trying to feel normal which means no "looking forward" to going to the clinic because that is what will make quitting hard.

Its different for everyone so you shouldnt worry about coming off of it. If you do it right coming off of it shouldnt be hard as who cares if you drop by 1mg a week and take 2 years to taper its completely on you. The only people who have issues are not doing what they need to do for themselves, which no one can tell you its different for everyone.

The biggest part is getting on methadone and staying off other opiates. You need to deal with what causes the desire to use if your not sick, which is the only time you "have to use" Once you do that you can worry about your dose levels but first address the issues that cause you to use while on methadone (if you continue to do so)

This is a really good post. Well said.

Im kinda wondering if the people who are not worried about the level of dose taken have managed to clean up fully.

I jumped off 150 mgpd methadone and a very large daily dose of oxy 260mg

It was significantly unpleasant and the acutes lasted over six weeks.

I have not witnessed anyone ever have an easy taper off methadone.

Sounds good in theory. . But if tapering opiates was easy then why the need to take the methadone.

Also methadone is a full opiate agonist.. a nmda antagonist. . And both a serotonin and adrenal RI.

Id rather kick junk three times in a row then face methadone withdrawal again.

No judgment at all.. but you are you still on the done szuko...

Id be interested to see what your thoughts will be after a long drawn out taper and a inevitable final kick.

Id be interested to see what your thoughts will be after a long drawn out taper and a inevitable final kick.

Me too Im excited! My girl just went down to 30mg this week from 40:)

And ive met people at the clinic who didnt have a hard time, i think its all in how you view it. I personally can not wait to get to that point and i wish i could drop quicker, my taper is 10mg every 3 weeks and its worked so far i know once i get to 30 it will be "harder" but thats all relative anyway. I even tell my counselor "well i am not sick so its not quick enough"

Last edited:
Im kinda wondering if the people who are not worried about the level of dose taken have managed to clean up fully.

I jumped off 150 mgpd methadone and a very large daily dose of oxy 260mg

It was significantly unpleasant and the acutes lasted over six weeks.

I have not witnessed anyone ever have an easy taper off methadone.

Sounds good in theory. . But if tapering opiates was easy then why the need to take the methadone.

Also methadone is a full opiate agonist.. a nmda antagonist. . And both a serotonin and adrenal RI.

Id rather kick junk three times in a row then face methadone withdrawal again.

Why would you get on methadone at all if you are eager to get off of it? I got on methadone because I had exhausted all other options for surviving and I can't see living my life without opiates. If your not to that point then I question whether methadone is the right treatment for you.

Why would you get on methadone at all if you are eager to get off of it? I got on methadone because I had exhausted all other options for surviving and I can't see living my life without opiates. If your not to that point then I question whether methadone is the right treatment for you.

I will go here and in sober living as well. What is your opinion of methadone? What is it? What positives does it bring.. what negatives?

What "treatment" does methadone create?

had exhausted all other options for surviving and I can't see living my life without opiates.

sounds like methadone allowed the person you describe to become a "functioning opiate addict"

I post this with no malice or judgment intended.. but as I have been there really been there. I also know an addict can talk themselves into anything.

IMO methadone is a very hard drug.. harder then most/all opiates. Just kinda seems that it has advantages.. long half life and others.

When we are able to get off methadone then we can see we were living a highly drug influenced life while we were on it.

It has a very positive effect and can stabilize opiate dependent people, but if people want to experience so much of the amazing things in life they would be advised to get off the cuffs.. as soon as they have wrangled up the other tools needed to battle the addiction.

Its a perfect layover and can allow for so many positive things.. but better tings await.

Again I post this with no judgment<3.. I just know where I was and where I am now. Shits not even the same universe. TRUE.

Last edited:
Ok NSA I'm a little confused about what questions your asking me but I'll try to respond and if I misunderstand feel free to clarify.

My opinion of methadone is that it should be used as a last resort when all other treatment options have failed. Before I got on it I tried Rehab, suboxone, detox, counseling all multiple times over the course of 6 years. I ended up back on heroin every time very quickly. I've been on it for 3 months so maybe you can argue I don't have enough experience to make a determination but I'll give it to you from my perspective.

Pros: helped my cravings for heroin immensely, I get addiction counseling through the clinic, I have stopped using heroin almost completely I had 55 days until I had 1 slip up last week, I physically feel much better on it then on suboxone or no opiates.

Cons: somewhat expensive but much cheaper than dope, constipation, still addicted to opiates, have to go everyday until I can quit smoking weed, makes traveling on a whim much more difficult.

Methadone provides me with treatment in that I get a counselor assigned to me who I can see whenever I want during the week. He also has acted as a social worker helping me make mental health appointments and get food stamps. There are also free group therapy sessions everyday at the clinic I can attend. It has given me a lifeline to sort out my co occurring mental health issues without dealing with withdrawal or a habit at the same time. I went to rehab and tried to do both at once and found it to be impossible. The withdrawal just made at all far to painful to do any kind of deep work on myself. I was basically out of options my heroin habit was up too 80 dollars a day. It was only a matter of time before I got in legal trouble, ODed, or caught a deadly infection. That's why I got n methadone.

I'm describing myself not some other person so I dont know what you meant by that. Yeah I guess I have become a functioning opiate addict if that's how you want to describe it. And I'll tell you it's a he'll of a lot better than a non functioning opiate addict. I don't consider my use of methadone any different than a person with type 2 diabetes who needs insulin. Would it have been better if they would have controlled there weight and not gotten diabetes? Of course! But I didn't so hear I am. I don't consider them cuffs at all. If I want to travel all I have to do is let my counselor know a few days in advance to get guest dosing set up. Once I get take homes it will be even easier. Heroin and suboxone are very hard drugs as well so I fail to see your point there.

If I thought I was capable of getting completely off opiates I would of done it. But I couldn't so I chose to save my life with methadone. I refuse to be one of those revolving door rehab clients who are convinced that there 10th shot at rehab will be the one. That's no way to live a life. I'm glad complete sobriety works well for you but to criticize others who can't do it is a little bit fucked up. Addiction is a very individual illness what worked for me might not work for you and vice versa. I don't mind living a highly drug influenced life. I like drugs. You don't see me on here advocating Anyone with under 4-5 years of addiction and multiple failed rehab attempts to get on methadone. It's a last resort. And I was at a last resort.

As far as getting off goes. When and if I decide it's time I will do a very long slow taper. if i missed any questions you want to ask me let me know.