• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Relationship with meth addict | Pulling away and ignoring me. Please help?

Ineedanswers2015

Bluelighter
Hello.
I am new to this site as far as posting, but I have been reading and learning so much helpful information. I thought that it would be a good time to post and ask for your help and advice, please?

I will not make this extremely long; because I’m sure anyone who has dealt with a meth addict will understand “most” of the situation/issues.
However, I will provide a brief background in order to get YOUR feedback on MY situation.

Honest feedback, please!
First and foremost, I am here for YOUR honest feedback.
Therefore, I would appreciate advice regardless of how hurtful or straightforward.
We understand when dealing with drug addicts (and caring too much for them) helpful words and actions are painful, but necessary for change and letting go.

I recently started seeing a 45 year old man, who is a welder, about three months ago. I just learned that he is addicted to meth. Now, he has distanced himself from me after I told that I knew.

Previous boyfriend who was a meth addict
Before this relationship, I had dated a meth addict for almost three years (2007-2010). Therefore, I am very well aware of the meth addiction and behaviors that go with it. Ultimately, this guy (2007-2010) moved out of state and began dating an old high school friend. Our relationship ended, and it hurt me deeply. I did not date for several years while I was healing and trying to regain MY life back. I finally regained myself and started to think about dating again.

Now, here we are 2015 with almost the exact same pattern BEFORE I even realized it.

My current situation and questions:
45 year old man – welder – divorced of 4 years – with 2 children (18 & 16 years old) from marriage.
He has not had a serious relationship since his divorce, and I am started to understand why.

We began seeing one another (mid-April 2015), and things were good in the beginning. Yet, he made it very clear that he did NOT want a serious relationship or girlfriend. He simply wanted, “a friend to hang out with.” I respected that.

I was hoping to have a friend as well to spend time with and maybe have some “fun” if it led to that later?

Here came the warning signs.
I was starting to learn this guy, so I was not aware of his normal behavior. But, some behaviors were starting to concern me, and then I finally figured out his hard core addiction to meth.

- He would not eat for days (claims he wanted to look good and slim for “the ladies”).

- He would complain about not sleeping (maybe 2-3 hours per night) (claims this became an issue when he began working night shift).

- He would constantly be working in the yard or in the house. He would never sit down and really talk or spend time with me (claims that he had to be busy and get things done).

- He would not get an erection like most men (claims he was not 25 years old anymore). This is where the largest warning sign came in, and his behavior was more aggressive than normal during sex. However, he would climax during oral sex, but not the other.

- He would sweat at all times.

- He would repeat things over and over.
- He blamed his behavior on the alcohol, but this was clearly not alcohol related (i.e. hyper activity, no eating, no sleeping, and not wanting sex).

- He would have nights where he would almost pass out mid sentence with a cigarette in his hand, which scared me tremendously.

- Last, he had frequent visits from known “meth addicts and dealers” in the area.

Now, let’s fast forward to May 28, 2015. At this point, I had been taking note and noticed all the signs pointing to meth use. He had been keeping his drug use under wraps rather well. Now, that I think about it, the signs were present. However, they became extremely worse around the end of May. I could no longer avoid this behavior and what was going on.

I had visited him 3 days in a row, and each day he was tweaking. I finally confronted him on May 28, and this is when ALL communication and interaction seemed to stop.

I could no longer hide the fact that I knew that he was using meth. He ADAMANTLY DENIED using any drugs, but, of course, he isn’t going to openly admit it with fear of losing his job, etc… At this point, he no longer wanted to see me anymore, yet, things were fine up until this point.

Grant it, I wanted more sex than he did, which makes me think this was the problem (because I wanted it all time)? Yet, he will “claim” that he enjoys it too? However, I don’t see any evidence of that, because I am always THE ONE begging and initiating sexual contact – ALWAYS!

I did see him once following the May28 incident. But, he only invited my over to “make sure” that I was aware that he was not a drug user and that behavior would not be tolerated at his home. Plus, he calls my behavior as “drama.” And, he doesn’t like drama.

All these mixed messages and signals without any definite answers or responses.

So, please try to help me understand?

QUESTIONS:
Q1: Why did he pull away so quickly?
Why didn’t he try to explain himself if he wasn’t truly using?

Q2: Why does he NOT want to see me anymore?
Is it because I want sex, and he cannot perform?

Q3: I ask to see him, but he doesn’t reply or answer. Why?
Why can’t he just be honest and say that he doesn’t want to see me anymore?

Q4: What did I do wrong?
Should I have remained silent about his meth use?

Q5: What should I do at this point KNOWING that he is an active meth user, but I still want to see him?

Q6: What advice can you give me or help to move on and let it go?

I am not a drug user.
I have never used drugs myself, but many of my friends are drug users.
I’m also sure that he is aware that I am not a drug user or that I am not that knowledgeable about drugs.
I hold two master’s degrees, but I cannot for the life of me get my dating life on track.
I have a habit of attracting and dating meth addicts.

Please give me some helpful feedback.
Again, I would appreciate your help and advice.

Thank you!

Last edited:
There's a lot more fish in the sea who aren't on meth, if you catch my drift... sounds like you are trying to build a relationship where he doesn't want one.

Dating is supposed to benefit both parties. It doesn't sound like your welder friend is concerned about having a platonic or emotional relationship with you. It sounds like you need to stop hanging out with this guy. Cut contact and move on. You're not going to be able to save him - drug users have to make the decision to get better on their own. It sounds like the only reason you're seeing him is he's a good lay, and if he's too tweaked out to get an erection, then he's not even that.

This probably belongs in Sex/Love/Relationships but it may get moved to the Dark Side too.

He's addicted to meth. What you're describing is how people get during a drug addiction where they put the drug first before any sort of 'relationship' with anyone else, and this includes isolation from people and using the drug(s) they are addicted to.

Do you really want to be in a relationship with someone this into meth? Or be their caretaker? Find someone else since you deserve someone better who is not addicted to drugs and who treats you right.

This guy has made it clear he does not want any sort of relationship with you, or even to be friends. This must suck for you but you will be better off without him. Try meeting new people besides this guy, and don't contact him, or if he contacts you don't return communication at all.

yeah, the only answer you need is that he's clearly not worth the trouble. and even if he was, he's clearly a massive drug addict; i know first hand that i couldnt stop using for someone i loved. he has to quit in his own time and until he does, hi behaviour will stay the same appalling way im afraid. you need to move on.

I see a few issues here.
First, you are dating "down." By that, I mean you are educated having 2 masters degrees while your bf is a welder, a trade that doesn't require an education. But it usually works the other way. The bf is the one who should have the degrees and the better background while the wife might have only a BA or highschool. That kind of relationship (the woman marrying down ) is unbalanced because it goes against a lot of pyschological, social, and intellectual conditioning. Having equal levels of education probably works out much better.

Second, if you are early in the relationship; that alone is enough to keep the drug use secret. He might not know you well enough to trust you with it. I for one have to know and trut my partner vefore I tell her anything. Otherwise if the relationship goes bad, she might tell on me - call my boss, my friends, the police, etc. Even if it doesn't, he might be afraid you will criticize or nag him for it. I mean, I used to drink herbal tea made from kratom every day (only one cup) and a gf used to go apeshit whenever she caught me drinking it. And it was only tea, but that was enough to turn her into a shrill nagging witch. So I ended up lying to her about that. I had to lie because she got nasty when she knew the truth. I ended up resenting her and hating her and the relationship didn't work.

Last edited:
There's a lot more fish in the sea who aren't on meth, if you catch my drift... sounds like you are trying to build a relationship where he doesn't want one.

Dating is supposed to benefit both parties. It doesn't sound like your welder friend is concerned about having a platonic or emotional relationship with you. It sounds like you need to stop hanging out with this guy. Cut contact and move on. You're not going to be able to save him - drug users have to make the decision to get better on their own. It sounds like the only reason you're seeing him is he's a good lay, and if he's too tweaked out to get an erection, then he's not even that.

This probably belongs in Sex/Love/Relationships but it may get moved to the Dark Side too.

sekio,
Honestly, you are right and summed it up perfectly.
The more that I try the he pulls away.
I truly appreciate your reply.
Thank you.

He's addicted to meth. What you're describing is how people get during a drug addiction where they put the drug first before any sort of 'relationship' with anyone else, and this includes isolation from people and using the drug(s) they are addicted to.

Do you really want to be in a relationship with someone this into meth? Or be their caretaker? Find someone else since you deserve someone better who is not addicted to drugs and who treats you right.

This guy has made it clear he does not want any sort of relationship with you, or even to be friends. This must suck for you but you will be better off without him. Try meeting new people besides this guy, and don't contact him, or if he contacts you don't return communication at all.

Thank you.
NO, I definitely don't want to be his caretaker.
I appreciate your advice (I needed to hear this).

yeah, the only answer you need is that he's clearly not worth the trouble. and even if he was, he's clearly a massive drug addict; i know first hand that i couldnt stop using for someone i loved. he has to quit in his own time and until he does, hi behaviour will stay the same appalling way im afraid. you need to move on.

EXCELLENT POINT!
If you don't mind me asking? What made you decide to stop - when was "your time?"
Thank you.

I see a few issues here.
First, you are dating "down." By that, I mean you are educated having 2 masters degrees while your bf is a welder, a trade that doesn't require an education. But it usually works the other way. The bf is the one who should have the degrees and the better background while the wife might have only a BA or highschool. That kind of relationship (the woman marrying down ) is unbalanced because it goes against a lot of pyschological, social, and intellectual conditioning. Having equal levels of education probably works out much better.

Second, if you are early in the relationship; that alone is enough to keep the drug use secret. He might not know you well enough to trust you with it. I for one have to know and trut my partner vefore I tell her anything. Otherwise if the relationship goes bad, she might tell on me - call my boss, my friends, the police, etc. Even if it doesn't, he might be afraid you will criticize or nag him for it. I mean, I used to drink herbal tea made from kratom every day (only one cup) and a gf used to go apeshit whenever she caught me drinking it. And it was only tea, but that was enough to turn her into a shrill nagging witch. So I ended up lying to her about that. I had to lie because she got nasty when she knew the truth. I ended up resenting her and hating her and the relationship didn't work.

socko,
I really needed to hear this, and I greatly appreciate your feedback.
I am never the one to look down on anyone, but I definitely deserve more care and respect than what I am getting from this guy.
Thank you.

I didn't think you looked down on him. I can tell that you do not from your post. What I meant was while you are highly educated, he obviously is not. So what do you two talk about? It must be hard to connect and find subjects and interestes you have in common given that your backgrounds are so different; maybe he feels he cannot relate to you, but he will not admit it. Instead, he goes into his meth world and mistreats you. Because he lacks education, he cannot properly understand you or your accomplishments so maybe he resents you.
socko,
I really needed to hear this, and I greatly appreciate your feedback.
I am never the one to look down on anyone, but I definitely deserve more care and respect than what I am getting from this guy.
Thank you.

I didn't think you looked down on him. I can tell that you do not from your post. What I meant was while you are highly educated, he obviously is not. So what do you two talk about? It must be hard to connect and find subjects and interestes you have in common given that your backgrounds are so different; maybe he feels he cannot relate to you, but he will not admit it. Instead, he goes into his meth world and mistreats you. Because he lacks education, he cannot properly understand you or your accomplishments so maybe he resents you.

Wow! Very interesting observation.
Although he was a very "established" welder in the area, his addiction has changed his business relationships I'm sure. He does bring my education up quite a bit (I will be getting my second master's later this month).

We used to talk about all kind of things, but maybe much of nothing now that you mention it. We just talked about small things and nothing too deep. He never wanted to pursue a committed relationship, so deeper things didn't matter. He never wanted to get remarried, so we never discussed anything other than small talk.

Maybe I just wanted the sex mostly? LOL
I couldn't really even get that?
I need to focus on pursuing a job in my field and move onto other things, because this guy isn't worried about me.

You might benefit by writing a list of what qualities you are looking for in a relationship and a man. There probably won't be a man who has everything you're looking for but it will help you recognize very early on if a guy has potential. You will know early on if he isn't the right guy for you.

it really sounds like you're looking for a real relationship where you feel a deep connection emotionally and intellectually. Guys who can do that really do exist. I've had boyfriends and a lot of male friends who are looking for the same thing. I'm currently working on a Masters and it's hard to find educated single men who aren't attached so I can relate. I'm holding out though because that kind of relationship is so much more fulfilling, the sex is much better and even if it doesn't work out it was still worth it. On my list the guy has to at least have a bachelors.

My experience is that daily users are simply not capable of intimate relationships or honesty. Lastly, you've probably heard the saying about dating men, "the dress you try on at the store will always be the same dress once you take it home."

SWIM72,
Thank you.
Great points.
I really like this guy, but he can't give me the relationship that I want. He isn't capable or just doesn't want to?
He doesn't have a formal education.
To be honest, I do not have high standards, which may be a huge problem?

I truly appreciate your honest feedback.

tomdpimp,
Good advice.
No, I don't enjoy meth and these missing in action moments are killing me.
Hear from him today then don't hear from him for a week?
No, thanks.

EXCELLENT POINT!
If you don't mind me asking? What made you decide to stop - when was "your time?"
Thank you.

i think the only way for a true addict to quit is to have gone through enough pain that they realise they have to stop. this was the case for me. i had to OD at work, lose my job and my flat and even then i was reluctant to get help. even now, i still want to use quite often, hence why im on bluelight all the fucking time....

maybe chucking him will be one of those things that make him question his use, nagging him never will. and even if he does decide o quit, its a long road ahead for him, with relapses very likely.

ultimately, hes making you miserable--finish him mortal kombat style

I thought you were finished with him. I went out on 1 date with a girl who had a master's degree - I have a PhD so it seemed like we might be compatible on a mental level. But then she told me about her high school dropout tweeker ex boyfriend and I couldn't think of her the same way after. I never went out with her again. When you finally meet somebody who has an education and some ambition in life, they're going to wonder why you spent so much time with these losers. If you don't have a good answer, they will leave.

Last edited:
smackydowners,
Thank you.
I am just having a hard time not wanting to see him?
But, now, he doesn't let me come around AT ALL when he was high like before.
He only calls me when he is not using, so I may hear from him once or twice in two months, now, maybe?

socko,
Love the honesty.
I finish my master's program next week (1 paper remaining). What is your Ph.D. in? I would love to get there one day after 2 master's degree.

I do believe my education bothers him, and he knows that I can do better.
You make a good point, and my standards are not high enough - obviously!