MAPS Attempting to locate a secular psychedelic therapist

Severance13

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,
I've been attempting to recieve psychedelic-mediated therapy for quite some time now. I was going to participate in the MAPS-funded study to see if MDMA could be used to treat social anxiety associated with autism. However, the medical oversight disqualified me because of the need to be off meds and new therapy for almost a year if I am put in the placebo group. It would've been the perfect environment to experience the healing of MDMA...and I dearly wish to find something along those lines: MDMA or other psychedelic-mediated DBT therapy. However, i have no clue where to start looking in the great USA. I'm thankfully in southern california...but I'm certain practitioners are incredibly private for obvious reasons. What's your advice, Bluelight?

MAPS MDMA assisted psychotherapy is the legal option available in the United States. If you have waited 25 years, couldn't you wait until after a couple years have passed? MAPS projects FDA approval in 2020, possibly sooner.

wouldn't it cost an insane amount of $$?

In America probably not. Insurance covers the expenses of FDA approved treatments. If you can't afford insurance then you usually qualify for subsidized Medicare, Medicaid, or both. If you're disabled the out of pocket cost could be $0.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I've been attempting to recieve psychedelic-mediated therapy for quite some time now. I was going to participate in the MAPS-funded study to see if MDMA could be used to treat social anxiety associated with autism. However, the medical oversight disqualified me because of the need to be off meds and new therapy for almost a year if I am put in the placebo group. It would've been the perfect environment to experience the healing of MDMA...and I dearly wish to find something along those lines: MDMA or other psychedelic-mediated DBT therapy. However, i have no clue where to start looking in the great USA. I'm thankfully in southern california...but I'm certain practitioners are incredibly private for obvious reasons. What's your advice, Bluelight?

I can presume that it's good to be really hard to find a psychedelic psychotherapy service mang because of the legality. No-one is going to publicly advertise their skills. So, why not try going down the route of finding a psychotherapist who is willing to work with you. There is no difference between psychedelic psychotherapy and psychotherapy. Only one uses psychedelics and the other doesn't. There are many private psychotherapists who may be willing to privately assist you but it wouldn't be regulated because the government doesn't have psychedelic services anymore and therefore doesn't have a defining body to govern it with current laws.

Or find a friend who's prepared to support you and ask a variety of personal questions and get you to identify your problems in a way that isn't intentionally threatening. I had a friend asked me questions on acid and I have to say, it felt very therapeutic so long as the questions were structured and made sense. Stuff like how the world exists or explain something else technical and on therapeutic doses like in the 1950's you could quite easily benefit from properly organised psychedelic psychotherapy session by allowing your mind to be opened and and your issues brought to the surface.

Of course there'a always Canada and other places in the world who post their services on the web. Google is your friend.

What kind of therapy session are you hoping to have. Do you want someone that is licensed in therapy? Do you want someone who is willing to guide you through a therapeutic experience or do you specifically want to partake in a MAPS related study?

I have been frustrated with the lack of presence of secular psychonauts and nonpsychonauts that are trying to have this kind of experience and have it automatically linked with outside influences.

I know it was a while when you posted this so I really hope you were able to find what you needed, but just in case you haven't, I am more than willing to help.

I talked to my therapist about it and he said there is some evidence to back up these studies however, he didn't say he was willing to treat me while on psychedelics. I think this is because he does not know a lot about the drugs. I was thinking about going in there on molly one time but I am not sure. You need someone to really guide you through the experience, if the person was unaware of this, it could make it worse.

As Disastronomical said, it's been a while since the original post, but if you are still struggling with your task, here's a rather slightly offbeat suggestion. Salvia is not regulated in my country and I believe it is also outside the law in some American states (perhaps the majority, if there's not been a subtle assault on it over the last 10 years). I have seen Salvia-mediated therapy offered quite legitimately, as is Ibogaine Therapy. I can't vouch for the ability of such practitioners, and there is no regulatory body that sets minimum standards in respect of training and supervision. I suspect that it would be difficult to convince an insurance company to insure but hey, ho, there may be such companies around.

Whatever, it is legally practiced and if the practitioner is experienced she or he could be just the ticket. Personally I believe that Salvia has significant therapeutic potential; it can be challenging and certainly traumatic. I also believe that therapy will most probably not be a walk in the park. Very often there are major issues that have been stashed away and make life less than groovy by leaking through and subverting one's good intentions. My own experience (and from my perusal of Bluelight I believe I am not alone) I can vouch for Salvia's ability to demolish brutally and without mercy, any attempts to control the doorway to the unconscious processes. I accept there can be much muddling of the cognition but it's not all about thoughts, and therapy would I imagine look to negotiate the strange but I believe ultimately recognisable topography. Healing would be effected via many aspects of the experience - perhaps this will be the case with many different psychedelics (and phethylamines) where 'self-healing' is promoted and intelligent dialogue and a supportive environment provide the accompaniment to deep existential journeys.

Definitely won't be as chilled as MDMA =D

Last edited: