PLEASE HELP im so scared to come off opiates!!!

Meligwen

Greenlighter
Hey everyone. I really need some help. I have decided to come off of these nasty pills. SO here is just a little about me and i am hoping for some feedback on what to expect, how long to experience this and some hope. I have been taking oxycodone for about 3.5 years. I know when i started taking them exactly cause it was when i had my little girl. I had her in an elevator, i didn't make it to the hospital in time!! Anyways so while i was in the hospital i was prescribed Percets to help with all my pain until i was released. When i got released i was prescribed though as well. At first i was able to take them as prescribed, but now 3.5 years later i am definitely not able to. I started buying them on the street, then i started getting them from a doctor and i still do.. I get 4, 15 mg a day so (60mg total) for headaches that i have suffered for for almost 15 years. I get my script and i can easily take them in 4-5 days. I also for the past year have been taking 30 milg and have wasted WAY to much money on this type of lifestyle, i buy these on the side to help get me through the month and always say i will just take them as i should but dont i just go through them so fast and then have to keep buying more. For about the last 6 months now when i run out i take subs for a few days till i get my next script, take all those then have to buy a bunch to try to make it for another month. I would say i take up to 100-120 milg a day. And have been for about a solid 6 months. Before that i would say 50-100 milg a day. The worst part now is my husband is taking them too. He as them prescribed cause of his back he gets 6 10 milg (60 milg) a day of oxycodone as well , but he is so ready to be done to. We both run out of out pills within 4-5 days like i said then we both have to buy so many off the streets. we have spent almost 4,000 this month on them. He as only been taking them for about 6 months and i would say about 100-120 milg a day as well... So im sure his withdrawal will be different then mine? So does anyone have any help with any ways to do this on our own, at home. ways to help myself and him get through this and also about how long it general might take? I have read for me, about day 5 is the worst then about day 10 physically i will start to feel better? But i dont know about my husband, being its only been about 6 months. We do have about 3 subutex we were thinking of taking starting tomorrow and just using very little every day and taper off those? or is that a bad idea? PLEASE if anyone out there can help me, (us) i would so appreciate it. I have taken less today than i usually do, only 40 milg my prescribed dose cause we dont have any left and i somewhat can feel my lower back hurting and having weird cramps? Anyways anything helps. thank you!

Hey Meligwen, hang in there! The most important thing is that you take time to figure out your goal, your ultimate goal(to get clean) and DO NOT give up no matter what until you have reached your goal. It will be all kinds of struggles, I can tell you that much. You don't want to relapse, but if you get clean and fall to the pressure know that it isn't the end of the world.

I remember when I went through oxy wd's, first comes the nausea and constipation, then comes puking and diarrhea, then dehydration which leads to muscle cramps and a general soreness from what I took as regaining sensitivity in my limbs and body. Also, expect to be in an off mood- I remember feeling like I had no friends and nobody liked me, but luckily I was able to reach out to a few close friends that reminded me of who I really was and that I wasn't always addicted to these pills, that I could be something better. Try to find people who bring out the part of you before you were addicted, and people who bring out a new you, one who is free from addiction.

Eating full and balanced meals, although much of a struggle in the first few weeks even months, will do wonders for you. Make sure to stay hydrated at all times!!! I can not stress that one enough. Water and food are two of the most important things you can focus on right now. Exercise will help with the depression and help you regain your strength faster, as well as flush out the toxins. I would suggest a minimum of 45 minutes of vigirous exercise a day, 4-5 days a week. Granted, this is once your body will allow it- you might have to start with 15 minutes 3 days a week and work up from there. You do want to be pushing yourself to some degree, but being that your body is already being stressed make sure not to over work/stress yourself.

Rest is also very important. For me, when I quit opiates I started running before work, then doing a workout after work so by the time my face hit the pillow I was done. No laying in bed craving- too tired for that shit.

I would start with a taper, try to build up some good habits on your way down, see if you can't sustain eating full meals and solid food.

Best of luck to you, hope some of this helps in some way.

Hello there,

You should expect the common opiate withdrawal symptoms. Check out the Opiate and opioid withdrawal Coping strategies and medication thread for some great information on the subject. I've also derived quite a bit of help and inspiration from HowToQuitHeroin.com (the guy who runs the site is an ex-heroin addict, but you can apply his advice to quitting pretty much any opioid).

Getting through the physical withdrawal is quite a task, and the thought of it can be terrifying. When I decided to quit, my habit had gotten so bad and I was so physically diminished that I thought the detox might literally kill me. It didn't. The fact is that, while detoxing from opiates may be one of the most intense experiences you'll ever face, the anxiety and trepidation that builds as you obsess about it is generally disproportionately extreme in comparison to the detox itself.

The issue I have always struggled with is PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome). The depression and confusion that often arises in the aftermath of a long stint of opiate use is often a bigger contributor to relapse than the acute symptoms experienced during the detox. It can be very difficult to adjust to life without opiates, and in my case at least, I had to reach a breaking point - rock bottom, if you will - in order to establish the resolve and commitment I needed to adhere to abstinence. I am sufficiently convinced at this point that opiates contribute nothing positive to my life and that one more slip back into full-blown addiction will probably kill me. It's been enough to keep me from fantasizing about a world in which I'm capable of practicing enough restraint to use casually or 'chip', and it's ultimately snuffed out any allure abusing opiates ever held for me.

That's what I cling to as an anchor for my continued opiate abstinence, but you'll have to find your own.

Use the subs if you feel like you can adhere to a rapid taper. It's a common detox method used in rehabs and can help cushion your detox. There are numerous threads on bluelight outlining different taper strategies, and HowToQuitHeroin.com outlines a number of different buprenorphine tapers as well.

Either way, good luck with your detox. There is a lot of support available here in TDS, so take full advantage. Some people like to use their thread as a sort of detox journal. Doing so can help you stay on task and keep you accountable, so it's something to consider.

Cheers!
CC

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm a very athletic person but since I have been on these pills I haven't and put on weight!:/ the only people that know if my husband and this forum. Today I feel pretty crummy and I did take just a tiny bit of sub, legs ache, cramping, no energy. I defenitly will try to stay as hydrated as possible I have read that but one hard thing is I have no appetite. So I'm trying and will try with fruits veggies etc.... I also have at home ;:(I tylonal, Benadryl, Gatorade immodium and some xanix just in case. I also have some NyQuil and DayQuil. These are just some things I have read to have for at home. I weight about 160 5,5 height.... So I'm hoping within about 10 days I will physically start to feel better.... Thank you for the help and advice everyone. I'm going to keep this to hold me accountable this time .

Is there any way possible that you could taper? Having a connect for the pills makes it even harder. It's pretty much just will power and setting goals. You have your husband to support you which should make the challenge a bit easier if yall are on the same page.