• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Quitting 6 year opiate habit, how long will WD last? Please help, I'm scared.

You should be on the upswing by day 5. 40 mg of hydrocodone a day isn't that bad to come off. Not a fun time, but not the worst either. After you get thru day3 you should be doing better in everything but sleep won't be back to normal for like 2 weeks.

I dont know why people are telling you you'll be in wd for weeks. That's absurd on a short half life opioid.

If you sleep at all the first 4 days you are lucky. And yes, diphenhydramine is the worst for RLS but other antihistamines can exacerbate RLS. Best thing to take is a benzo. Or actually for me it was phenobarbital. I hated the way it made me feel, but I slept for 3 days straight and was on the upswing by day 4 last time I detoxed heroin. By day 6 I was out playing softball. And I am a baby when it comes to wd.

Lope will help take away wd but you need at least 20-30 mg doses. And you will have to taper that down then.

The worst worst part is that time almost stands still. You would think that getting through 3-4 days is cake. But those days feel like weeks. If you can keep your mind occupied that is a big help and if you can get a benzo or barbiturate to sleep at night that's a huge help

Hang in there. It's definitely worth it. And you will be fine by time you're vacation time is up, as long as you don't use anymore hydro

Thanks for the encouragement, I was on about 150mg a day not 40mg, but that is beside the point. I can't believe how much better today has been. I keep waiting for the WD to come raging back, I really can't believe I had only one super shitty day. How is that possible I can eat 12 norco at one time and barely feel it?

Edit I read my original post and see where you got 40mg. That was written a week before I actually quit. My plan to only take 40mg a day that week didn't work out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement, I was on about 150mg a day not 40mg, but that is beside the point. I can't believe how much better today has been. I keep waiting for the WD to come raging back, I really can't believe I had only one super shitty day. How is that possible I can eat 12 norco at one time and barely feel it?

Edit I read my original post and see where you got 40mg. That was written a week before I actually quit. My plan to only take 40mg a day that week didn't work out.

Glad to hear it man! It's very empowering to come out on the other side of sickness a healthy, functional human being, is it not?

Thank you. It is very powerful. I'm still not all the way there but it feels good so far. I hope I can inspire my buddy to kick subs in a few weeks. I plan on giving him my next script so he can switch over to a short acting opiate for a couple weeks the go cold turkey. It's day 2 and close to bedtime and I didn't take any Norco today, fuck yeah.

Good for you, keep going!

Just make sure you keep yourself busy. I think that is a key to staying off opiates after you manage to get off them. You suddenly find all the time you spent getting, doing, and nodding was in reality a big chunk of time. And then it seems like we get bored, rather than excited to have all that time to do new and different things. If you have a hobby great, devote time to it. If not, try some things that will keep you busy. Just like having a child that you keep busy morning til night to keep him out of trouble, do the same in early recovery.

Just a thought for you, having been there.

And wd gets harder every time you go through it, so don't let your brain trick you into using with the "oh see it wasn't hard to get off...you can take some more pills..." If you are lucky enough to go through a fairly easy wd, run and don't look back!!!

Hope your day goes well

I'm doing really good today, not sure why it's been this easy with only one really bad day, but I'm thankful. I haven't taken any opiates since Saturday other that a little lope and I'm about 75-80% still have a slight tingle in my limbs like I'm on the verge of starting to get dope sick. I gave away the last 1/2 norco today and it feels good.

is this your first time withdrawing from opiates? you might just have gotten away with it....

the withdrawals tend to get worse the more often you go through them

Yes, this is my first time quitting. I never really took many pills until 6 years ago when I had to have 2 neck surgery's. The surgery didn't help and I'd been on hydro since and learned to enjoy it. But, as you all know its not fun when its required to function.

Good luck. Can you talk to a doctor about this, or check into a rehab/detox centre run by medical professionals?

I'm past the worst part I will make it. I have good friends who are giving me lots of support. Your post is going to make me rant because I've been thinking about this since I decided to quit. Rehab should be free to anyone for any reason, no questions asked. Subs and methadone should be free. The sub racket is ridiculous I know people who pay just as much for going to a sub Dr as they paid when they were obtaining illegally.

Update. Day four, no norco since the 15 mg on Saturday. I have slightly achy muscles, I'm about 85% better physically. Feels good.

Still at the same level with same aching muscles, annoying but very tolerable. Sleep is weird, I'm waking up at 7:30-8am no matter what time I went to sleep. I went to sleep at 2 am last night and woke up wide awake at 730am. Also the most bizarre is I had a wet dream the night before, the second one of my entire life. The first 25 years ago in my mid teens, very strange.

My first withdrawals weren't too bad either. Kratom really helped a lot. But I made the mistake of jumping in again. And you guys are saying they will be much worse next time we got away easy.

Great job in quitting! It's amazing how good it feels to be in the other side. You are helping me to realize to quit while I'm ahead and not very deep. Thank you.

Still at the same level with same aching muscles, annoying but very tolerable. Sleep is weird, I'm waking up at 7:30-8am no matter what time I went to sleep. I went to sleep at 2 am last night and woke up wide awake at 730am. Also the most bizarre is I had a wet dream the night before, the second one of my entire life. The first 25 years ago in my mid teens, very strange.

That's awesome, keep up the good fight.

The fact that you're even able to sleep is awesome, you're lucky. Most people can't even on their first WD.

I, too, get wet dreams once I'm able to sleep after the acute withdrawals start to subside. It's a sign of your brain becoming no longer numbed by the opiates. I find to have rubber feelings when I'm using. I kind of feel things, but I'm numb. Numb to hurt, but numb to happiness and as well.

I hope this isn't against the rules, but I'm thinking about telling my family doctor that I've stopped taking the prescription my neurosurgeon prescribed me and asking for gabapentin for the restlessness. What the possibility this will result in a scarlet A in my medical record?

Edit Scarlet A=Addict

Update Went to the Doctor and told them what I was doing and they gave me gabapentin and clonidin.

Last edited:
Today is day 7 that I've been clean. The gabapentin and clonidine that the doctor gave me seems to have really helped with restless limbs buzzing feeling. The doctor was cool about it but I didn't tell him I was abusing my Meds when I quit just that I had been on 40mg/day for 6 years. I really think I've got this thing beat.

Clonidine is a lifesaver for withdraw it really helps the restless on edge feeling.

Well done on the cleanliness. Like others have mentioned, the withdrawal generally becomes more intense and quicker to appear with each habit.