• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

My experience with DXM to cut opiate usage!

switchtop

Bluelighter
Ok guys, I'm sure most of you know (or at least I hope most of you know) about the strategy of using dissociatives such as DXM to lower your opiate tolerance, and to prevent it from raising again.

Recently (about a month ago), I noticed that my 40 mg oxymorphone pills started to only last me 4 days (oppose to the 5-8 days they used to last me for the past 7 months). I was very upset that the rapid tolerance increase that opiates are known for finally happened to me. I guess I'm lucky it took so long though.
So, becoming annoyed about having to spend twice as much money as I used to just to maintain my addiction, I decided to plunge into a 2-day research session. I obtained extensive information about using DXM for reducing opiate tolerance.

About 3 weeks ago, I finally committed to putting in action the DXM method I had been researching.

/_/*****After reading my thread, please go and research this method (most of which*****\_\
\ \*****can be found on Bluelight and other forums), to learn the science behind this*****/ /

So in chronological order of the past 26 days (*note: I wake up at 10 AM every day*), here goes my detailed account of the reduction of my opiate tolerance, while maintaining the same, if not more, amount of opiate "high" per day, through the use of this miracle DXM therapy method:

Opana pill #1:
No DXM taken at all. This 40 mg oxymorphone pill lasts me 4 days (10 mg/day)

Opana pill #2:
I committed to taking 60 mg DXM as soon as I woke up every morning. I then begin my dosing of Opana about an hour after this.
This 40 mg oxymorphone lasts me 6 days (6.67mg/day), and I swear I was getting about 20% higher per day than I had been when I was taking 10mg/day without the DXM.
At this point I realize that on my next pill, I should be able to take about that much less Opana per day, while continuing my DXM regimen. This is because my goal here is not to get higher than I used to get before adding DXM to the mix, but to maintain the same high, except at a lower dose.

Opana pill #3:
Once again, I'm taking 60 mg of DXM every morning. Immediately, I notice that I no longer wake up in the mild withdrawals that I used to (headache, dilated pupils leading to over-sensitivity to light, and an overall "down in the dumps" feeling). I can now wait until about 3 hours after I wake up until I feel like I need to start dosing my oxymorphone, oppose to when I felt like I needed to dose within one hour of waking up before I started taking DXM.
This 40 mg oxymorphone lasts me 8 days (5 mg/day).

Opana pill #4:
As you can guess, I'm still taking 60 mg of DXM every morning when I wake up. This time around is about the same as my accounts for Opana pill #3. I can wait up to 3 hours after waking up before I feel like I need to start dosing oxymorphone.
This 40 mg oxymorphone also lasts me 8 days (5 mg/day).

*End of personal account*

I get the feeling that this DXM therapy has officially worked and I have literally reset my opiate tolerance back to what it used to be at day 1. I also get a gut feeling that I have plateaued in terms of my tolerance reduction, and I can maintain this 5 mg/day program, as long as I keep up with 60 mg of DXM per day.

Now all I have to worry about is the possibility of a raise in my DXM tolerance, but I can get it pretty cheap anyways.
To be honest, after all of this, I honestly feel like I can maintain this 60 mg/day DXM regimen and taper off of Opana completely. I'm also even pondering using Loperamide+Omeprazole OR Kratom to help with this. Oh, and one more note: No, the morning DXM doses don't have any psychoactive effects on me, such as the foggy brain some people experience on low-dose dissociatives. Also, it doesn't change my cognitive abilities whatsoever, ie, I'm still able to maintain as high quality of schoolwork as I always have. I do feel, however, that taking any more, say 80 mg, would probably space me out a bit.

One more note: Yes, I can actually nod again! I hadn't nodded for months prior, and I actually nodded at least once a day for the 22 day duration of adding DXM to my daily intake. Also, please note that this method may take numerous days of daily DXM intake before you notice a significant change in your opiate tolerance/experiences.

SO PLEASE, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!
IF YOU HAVE ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCES, PLEASE SHARE!
GIVE THIS METHOD A SHOT!

Thank you for reading my post, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, STAY SAFE EVERYONE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you should investigate the long-term effects of regular/daily DXM use before you start suggesting that other people do the same. The best way to bring your opiate tolerance down, unfortunately, is to take a tolerance break. Taper down to a dose you can manage to quit taking and then quit taking it for at least a week. DXM abuse can lead to lasting and devastating effects: decline in mental function, addiction (psychological and physical) including but not limited to impaired memory (especially short term), audial and visual hallucinations while not on the drug, change in personality, etc. Granted, the dose you're taking is not considered very high and these effects are largely reversible, but with daily use it could cause some problems. Please be careful on this path and realize that really the best way to bring your tolerance down is the shitty but old fashioned way of just sucking it up and doing it.

If anyone's interested, here are some personal accounts of DXM use and addiction to help you in deciding whether or not you want to use this method:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Addiction-Substance-Abuse/Long-term-effects-of-DXM/show/766581

Wezface, thank you for replying this. It was actually irresponsible of me to not include that disclaimer. I am aware of the possible long term effects of not-even-daily, but often, dissociative use. Yes, the dose I am taking is not psychologically active in the apparent/noticeable sense, but I do know that the effects are occurring in my brain, just at a smaller level. I did indeed weigh the cons you brought up, and I should also add that of course this is not something I plan on doing Long-term. The main reason I did this is because I know I need to quit within the next month or two, and this allowed for a very painless taper. Also, here is a citation of where I attained about 50% of my research before doing this (it's basically a list of more citations):

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/41080-nmda-antagonists-for-drug-tolerance-does-it-work/

I'm going to move this to Trip Reports.

Hey, did you change the title of my post? I swear, yesterday it was something along the lines of "I have important information to help anyone trying to cut their opiate usage." It's no big deal, I was just wondering. And also, don't you think this would be more helpful to people in "Basic Drug Discussion," since more people view that section? In the end, I oblige to whichever decision you make.

I bet it was the format I wrote the post in, with the "Opana pill #1, Opana pill #2," and so forth. If I had known that would cause a moderator to switch it's category to Trip Reports, I wouldn't have written it like that. I just want this to help as many people as possible.

Would I need to do 60mg of dxm? My tolerance is rather low right now so would something like 30mg work?

I have similar questions: it should work with other NMDA antagonists as well, correct? So I wonder if I am correct to assume that the rate at which you decrease your opioid tolerance is indeed dependent on the following factors:
- the exact NMDA antagonist you take and it's efficacy as an NMDA antagonist
- the dose of the NMDA antagonist

Not sure it drop in tolerance happens in a linear fashion but it probably levels out (there was talk of a subjective ceiling effect).. So if your tolerance is lower you have less to drop, but the rate still depends on the above factors - at least according to my logic.

I'm shocked that you can make one 40mg pill last 4 days n actually get high of it, I'm not dependent on opiates and if those are the extended release ones I would need 2 at once to even get high lol you gotta be kidding right?