• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

good career

Fiber-optical & Coax(copper) splicing.

The people that can splice fiber optic.(fusion splicing). Pretty much all u do is once the telephone/cable company had the new fiberoptic/cable line in the air,all you do is ride around in a temperature controlled 5th wheel, u make $$ per splice, and hourly. Those fibers come in 12counts of fiber, all the way to 288count.

Look into it!

Google cable bar.

Are you still OK with social interaction? Some kind of outreach/customer service thing maybe?

I don't want some repetitive crap job. I want something ill enjoy but afraid its too late

have you been to college/university? It might be a good idea to take some courses at a community college and see what interests you. I don't have any idea what your skills/strengths are, but I know I was never into school in highschool due to subjects being forced upon me... Once I was able to pick and choose I found that I fit well into the business/management areas and am working on getting my CPA.

If you're not into school, you could always try moving to Colorado and doing ATV tours in the summer, then Ski/Snowboard Instructor/Bum in the winter. My buddy moved out there and was making more money than construction in NYS, got to live all summer in a tent/camp very cheaply, saw some cool shows at red rocks, then snowboarded all winter living with some friends.

I don't want some repetitive crap job. I want something ill enjoy but afraid its too late

I mean you did ask what would be a good job for someone who fried their brain... being someone that does manual labor as part of their job, there are "skilled" labor or trades as some call them that do require skill and knowledge of the trade but are largely physical as opposed to largely mental like an office job. Believe it or not, in most places now is the time to be in skilled labor/trades as there is a shortage of workers in most these industries and tend to pay just as well if not better than a lot of office jobs. YOu do have to keep an open mind and accept the fact that you will probably have to be doing something you don't want to. Most people spend years working towards the goal of doing "what they want to" so if you are just beginning don't get too down, just the way it is.

I'd say steer clear of college for now if you are just getting sober. Trade schools will probably be much more beneficial and a lot of them will have you working within 6 months. Like becoming a certified welder is not all that hard if you can afford school and once you get certified(takes about 6 months I think) you will be earning in the $20's/hr and will probably rapidly move up in pay. The school is something like $10k but compare that to 4 year college costs and to the average salary and I really don't think you are any worse off, in many cases much better off than someone who has spent 6 years and $80,000 on a masters degree in psychology and then got a job for $14/hr and had to spend another 3 years working her way up to $18/hr and who will likely peak at less that $80,000 a year in maybe another 10 years.

LOL he did say "good" career... as a musician idk what kind of artist you might be talking about but pretty sure pan handlers make more than your average artist.

Trades are good to get into can be difficult to get your foot in the door. Most of them pay 70k or more in Chicago.

Trades are good to get into can be difficult to get your foot in the door. Most of them pay 70k or more in Chicago.

That is true but IME if you know someone it's a shoe in.

Best bet is networking. Plenty of people land jobs they don't deserve and can barely handle just by knowing the right person.

or just marry rich 0_o

I guess I'm screwed then

start putting applications out like crazy and maybe sign up for community college. Employers prefer to higher someone who already has a job and can demonstrate they at least can show up on time when assigned to work. Get a job, whatever it is, and hold it until you get a better job.

Last edited:
Why do you want so badly to have a career? Is it possibly to be like everyone else, deriving your sense of self and self-worth from being yet another underpaid and overworked paper pusher or manual laborer? Destitute and despondent, hating your life because you obediently devote it to mindless productivity for no logical reason other than normative social influence and money to satisfy your unbridled consumer fetishism?

Boy, what a fulfilling life—chasing an imaginary pot of gold down a lifelong rainbow of abject misery and false promises, only to reach the end and see, after squandering away the bulk of your life for a fiction, that there never was any dream, no gold, not even the pot, at the terminus of the road of willful wage slavery and depression.

My advice: fuck a career; get a life you can one day be proud and satisfied to have had, instead. Or toil in the mud like most people, doing jobs they don't like for a pittance to buy things they don't need.

You want something to do? Do it. Enjoy it! But don't do what you love while making some rich fuckwad richer. You don't win from that game.