• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants My adderall is NOT working!!

Nikki2009

Greenlighter
I'm having an issue with my adderall working properly. I was perscribed 30 mg XR May 29, 2015. Took it that day, and it worked great, I loved it. Worked ok Saturday and Sunday, and I noticed I really wasn't feeling it all week at all! Even would get tired if I didn't get sleep the night before. Well I had my follow up with my dr yesterday, I told him that I thought I needed a higher dose, so instead, he gave me 20 mg IR to take twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. Okay well this isn't helping like it should either! I remeber being perscribed adderall about 4 years ago, and I had a totally different experience, it helped me focus, made me organized, I felt great...and now it really doesn't feel too different than my normal self. What is the deal here?!

this is actually typical of amphetamine use... it doesn't stay magical forever. it's normal for the body to adjust to the elevated levels of norepinephrine / dopamine if you are on amphetamine all the time. part of the way you can fix this is only taking adderall on days you really need to rather than every day, and make sure you give yourself breaks. make sure you're eating enough and getting proper sleep too

increasing your dose won't help in the long run at all, you will very likely find that as soon as you increase your dose it will "stop working" and you need to increase it again.

Last edited:
If you take it daily your body is going to get used to it, and you will have a tolerance.

Just take it when you really need to, or do not take it on weekends or when you are not at work, school, or doing something important.

Don't abuse it or take a lot more than you are prescribed. If you want to increase or decrease the dose talk to your doctor.

Do you take any other medications? Sometimes certain medications can make it so the amphetamine does not work as it should normally.

Well I know that you can build a tolerance, but I didn't think I'd build it in a few days!! That's why im so confused lol a friend of mine suggested that instead of taking the whole 20 mg in the morning, to take 10 instead then 10 on the afternoon so it would bring my tolerance down. Would that help? I was on straterra first and it made me nauseous so we switched to this.

And yes I do take other Meds. I take armour thyroid, activit which is basically a multivitamin sold by Beachbody, and also glutamine and CLA...but the glutamine and CLA Arebt everyday. Just when I'm working out super hard, which actually will start again next week lol

this is actually typical of amphetamine use... it doesn't stay magical forever. it's normal for the body to adjust to the elevated levels of norepinephrine / dopamine if you are on amphetamine all the time. part of the way you can fix this is only taking adderall on days you really need to rather than every day, and make sure you give yourself breaks. make sure you're eating enough and getting proper sleep too

increasing your dose won't help in the long run at all, you will very likely find that as soon as you increase your dose it will "stop working" and you need to increase it again.

This. OP your abrupt tolerance is only temporary and will go away after discontinuing the medication and getting 3 consecutive nights of 7h sleep.

As you skip consecutive nights on amphetamines, you begin to lose the memory center and learning new things can be a major challenge. It's a bit like living on the first floor of a building your entire life and then suddenly moving to the second floor, then the third floor, you sort of forget what life used to be like on the first floor and stop worrying about life matters that are relevant there. The higher you go, the more amphetamine it takes to not only maintain you there but also to get you to a higher floor. You only perceive the high as moving up one floor and you forget how high you've arrived.

To test this you can try to perform a complex calculation or to remember something and say it an hour later, you will be unable to if you are in such a state. Also, if you are in such a state, waking up after a nap will be very disorienting for 1 or 2 minutes, after which it all comes back to you. These are important clues in order to determine if your tolerance is legitimate (likely not) or if you've just gone temporarily insane because you took too much without any deep sleep.

Skipping nights and not getting any deep sleep is for many the only way to a true amphetamine high, since deep sleep sort of ruins it with vasodilation and other mechanisms, so you're not doing anything wrong by skipping nights, what you're doing wrong is that you have an incorrect assessment of your situation, of where you stand, what you're trying to get on the second or third floor that you can't get on the first, and for how long.

Also, when you reach material balance, meaning when your body begins to eat its own muscles and fattie tissue to survive due to lack of food intake, the sensations you get will be dulled and will take more time to arrive. This again can be mis-perceived as tolerance. In this scenario, eating a healthy meal will restore all sensations, as if you had taken many amphetamine pills. Food cannot contain 5-HTP in this scenario or it may not be a good idea to eat it.

Last edited:
This. OP your abrupt tolerance is only temporary and will go away after discontinuing the medication and getting 3 consecutive nights of 7h sleep.

As you skip consecutive nights on amphetamines, you begin to lose the memory center and learning new things can be a major challenge. It's a bit like living on the first floor of a building your entire life and then suddenly moving to the second floor, then the third floor, you sort of forget what life used to be like on the first floor and stop worrying about life matters that are relevant there. The higher you go, the more amphetamine it takes to not only maintain you there but also to get you to a higher floor. You only perceive the high as moving up one floor and you forget how high you've arrived.

To test this you can try to perform a complex calculation or to remember something and say it an hour later, you will be unable to if you are in such a state. Also, if you are in such a state, waking up after a nap will be very disorienting for 1 or 2 minutes, after which it all comes back to you. These are important clues in order to determine if your tolerance is legitimate (likely not) or if you've just gone temporarily insane because you took too much without any deep sleep.

Skipping nights and not getting any deep sleep is for many the only way to a true amphetamine high, since deep sleep sort of ruins it with vasodilation and other mechanisms, so you're not doing anything wrong by skipping nights, what you're doing wrong is that you have an incorrect assessment of your situation, of where you stand, what you're trying to get on the second or third floor that you can't get on the first, and for how long.

Also, when you reach material balance, meaning when your body begins to eat its own muscles and fattie tissue to survive due to lack of food intake, the sensations you get will be dulled and will take more time to arrive. This again can be mis-perceived as tolerance. In this scenario, eating a healthy meal will restore all sensations, as if you had taken many amphetamine pills. Food cannot contain 5-HTP in this scenario or it may not be a good idea to eat it.

ummmmmm yea lol no offense but you have everything completely wrong. I'm not taking adderall to get high. I'm taking it because I legit have ADHD that is almost disabling, and it helps me. I don't get those crazy effects of adderall where I can't sleep at all. I go to sleep every night about 9-10 pm and sleep just fine until I get up for work the next day. I have never once stayed up all night on adderal hahahaha. I got put on IR 20mg and I've started taking 10 in the morning and 10 in the afternoon. Works better than 30mg XR

Regardless if your ADD is "disabling", your body is going to get used to the medication plain and simple. And I do, in fact, have a leg to stand on here as I have been scripted adderall nearly every month for the past 10 years. I do not take it every day in order to try and keep it effective at therapeutic doses.

Regardless if your ADD is "disabling", your body is going to get used to the medication plain and simple. And I do, in fact, have a leg to stand on here as I have been scripted adderall nearly every month for the past 10 years. I do not take it every day in order to try and keep it effective at therapeutic doses.

Yea I really do think my body just reacts weirdly to adderall. Because I was started on the 30 mg XR and within a day or two, my tolerance was really big. I also don't take it on the weekends, only during the week when I have work and class.

Getting good sleep and having a proper diet with good nutrition is also important to keeping your bodies supply of dopamine replenished. To try and explain simply, adderall's stimulated feeling is mainly attributed to the release of dopamine and after so many consecutive doses of amphetamine, trying to take any additional doses of amphetamine to feel it's positive effects becomes useless until you give your body the time, rest and nutrition it needs to feel the positive effects of amphetamine again.

There's also theoretical ways that have been discussed to help keep amphetamine tolerance low such as low-dose DXM (dextromethorphan - an OTC cough suppressant) for example. Some people have had success with these methods while others find no benefit to them.

ummmmmm yea lol no offense but you have everything completely wrong. I'm not taking adderall to get high. I'm taking it because I legit have ADHD that is almost disabling, and it helps me. I don't get those crazy effects of adderall where I can't sleep at all. I go to sleep every night about 9-10 pm and sleep just fine until I get up for work the next day. I have never once stayed up all night on adderal hahahaha. I got put on IR 20mg and I've started taking 10 in the morning and 10 in the afternoon. Works better than 30mg XR

That's ok, there's nothing wrong with taking it to get high and nothing wrong with taking it to medicate ADHD so there cannot be an offense. So in your situation, if you're taking it as prescribed, the only issue I know of that would make it so that Adderall stops working it's with certain generic versions of Adderall. It is still a mystery among the ADHD community but many complain that Adderall stops working suddenly, did you know that?

Switching to dextroamphetamine should solve the problem, 100% of ADHDers who complained about Adderall did not go on complaining about Dexedrine.

100% of ADHDers who complained about Adderall did not go on complaining about Dexedrine.

And you interviewed them all, I suppose? :)

lmao ^ i prefer straight dextroamphetamine as well because of the body load side effect from the additional PNS stimulation that the l-amphetamine in adderall can give but as of right now both my long acting and short acting ADD meds are adderall. I will be look to make the change back to dexedrine spansules with adderall IR in the coming months.

And you interviewed them all, I suppose? :)

Interviewing them is not enough, you should also attach a polygraph to them to make sure they don't lie, and also ensure they have no abilities to trick the polygraph by giving them a high dose of scopolamine.

Or you could stick to the common agreement that Dexedrine is more reliable than Adderall which is also confirmed by US army and many other sources.

^_____________________________________________^

It's totally normal, as others have said. The focus benefits of adderall will remain long after the euphoria "benefits" have gone. The euphoria is really supposed to be a side effect although it's what all of us end up liking at least as much as the intended effect, lol. I'm prescribed Dexamfetamine (I'm in the UK and we don't really do Adderall here). It's good but I have exactly the same issues with tolerance. I tend to only use it occasionally now, when I want to get a LOT of work done in a short time, and enjoy the euphoria when I do.

I'm having an issue with my adderall working properly. I was perscribed 30 mg XR May 29, 2015. Took it that day, and it worked great, I loved it. Worked ok Saturday and Sunday, and I noticed I really wasn't feeling it all week at all! Even would get tired if I didn't get sleep the night before. Well I had my follow up with my dr yesterday, I told him that I thought I needed a higher dose, so instead, he gave me 20 mg IR to take twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. Okay well this isn't helping like it should either! I remeber being perscribed adderall about 4 years ago, and I had a totally different experience, it helped me focus, made me organized, I felt great...and now it really doesn't feel too different than my normal self. What is the deal here?!

Tell the doctor to increase it more your probably tolerant to its effects now

Take 1 capsule open it and crush the beads.. Turning it into IR you'll SURELY feel it.

Lol it almost sounds like you want the adderall to turn you into superman every single time. Not that I don't get it, but there are some "diminishing return" effects for all stimulants in the entire world. This is why methamphetamine addiction is absolute hell. You're speeding away and feeling so euphoric and ready to handle all of life for a couple of days in a row, until it gradually turns into pure paranoia and an edgy unpleasant blinkless lemur-eyed state with no benefits besides providing your brain the dopamine you've already blown out. I've abused the absolute SHIT out of my adderall script over the past 7 years. I'm not proud of my complete inability to moderate my stimulant use, but even then I try to never take stimulants more than 4 days in a row because of the lackluster effect it turns into. If you're daily required to take it or fail in every career you attempt, then you might as well just eat the adderall daily and accept that drugs--while better than real life in a lot of instances--just aren't that great when its a regular introduction into your everyday life. Taking drugs daily no matter what the substance be--takes quite a bit out of everyone whether they accept that or not. I used to enjoy adderall more than any other substance before my body decided enough was enough. Now I do not benefit from taking pharmaceutical stimulants at all in any form. Doesn't feel good, euphoric, or motivating. It makes me feel insane and wishing I was not on stimulants while the effects take all day and more. I am not sure if adderall is good for anyone in the long run, and most ppl with legitimate ADHD end up typically getting off any medication for their condition after years and years of it like myself. People who do not even abuse adderall tend to really dislike the effects long term.