• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

sulpiride neurotoxicity

DOB

Bluelighter
I have this female friend,she is 23 now,she used to take meth twice a week for two years between year 20 and 22... then the doctors gave her sulpiride for 7 months becose she had paranoid voices in her head,I told her to not take the stuff and she did cold turkey,that was august 2014,she stopped taking it and was completly voice free and recovering good,she stopped lactating,her libido returned and mental sharpness was returning slowly too

now at the end of April this year she was stupid and took half a LSD blotter,her parents found her in insane state 5 days awake in bathtub,from there she went to 40 days in hospital and will spend 40 days in psychiatric rehabilitation centre.They gave her again the Sulpiride,I am extremly worried if she will ever be the person like before the meth and sulpiride becose apart from 8 months she wasnt clean from the antipsychotic drug.

did anybody take this or other antipsychotic for like two years and ended using it? did you return completly to normal?? they say its not as neurotoxic as previous generation antipsychotics,how bad do you think it is? I am just so worried.She used to be so consciouss full of energy,full of life,happy,so smart an amazing personality,I fear its permanently gone,that she will be just another antipsychotic zombie

Last edited:
I then the doctors gave her sulpiride for 7 months becose she had paranoid voices in her head,I told her to not take the stuff and she did cold turkey...

...her parents found her in insane state 5 days awake in bathtub,from there she went to 40 days in hospital and will spend 40 days in psychiatric rehabilitation centre.

You are misinformed my friend. Sulpride is tentatively one of the safest antipsychotics we have with regards to brain atrophy http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12043843

Last edited by a moderator:
It says so right there: the neurotoxicity is independent of dopaminergic activity but rather related to apoptosis of cells and such cell lifecycle phenomena.

It says so right there: the neurotoxicity is independent of dopaminergic activity but rather related to apoptosis of cells and such cell lifecycle phenomena.

thanks

I am still worried,becose this girl isnt ok from the meth.... she should regenerate without sulpiride,I think it blocks the dopamine regeneration

and also estrogen is important for brain health,she lactates,have labia atrophy,doesnt menstrate and other symptoms like menopause becose of elevated prolactin.

Of course it is nice of you to be concerned, but who is to decide that it is worth having her attempt rehabilitation without suppression of psychotic symptoms by dopaminergic antagonism? It may be best to have mental health managed first before you worry about the chronic situation of her dopamine receptor populations - right now her suffering from those receptors activation seems to warrant the antagonism doesn't it?

It is not a bad idea that in time the possibility of weaning / switching to an anti-psychotic with less detrimental side effect profile for her physiological problems be suggested and considered by her health care professionals. I guess I too would like to hear a rationale from them why that would not be beneficial looking at the big picture.

What is the lesser of evils here if you put your emotions aside and analyze all problems she is having and has had in the past?

Of course it is nice of you to be concerned, but who is to decide that it is worth having her attempt rehabilitation without suppression of psychotic symptoms by dopaminergic antagonism? It may be best to have mental health managed first before you worry about the chronic situation of her dopamine receptor populations - right now her suffering from those receptors activation seems to warrant the antagonism doesn't it?

It is not a bad idea that in time the possibility of weaning / switching to an anti-psychotic with less detrimental side effect profile for her physiological problems be suggested and considered by her health care professionals. I guess I too would like to hear a rationale from them why that would not be beneficial looking at the big picture.

What is the lesser of evils here if you put your emotions aside and analyze all problems she is having and has had in the past?

true but thing is she was completly voice free without any medication for months,she had problem like this before and she was ok after sleeping.She should have been left after week max without any medication,3 months and sulpiride,the problem is she doesnt need it

Not when she is stable, but events destabilized her? So it is meant to help her get stabilized again I guess?

I am not really looking to argue about this further though, you are entitled to your opinion and it is really none of my business..

Not when she is stable, but events destabilized her? So it is meant to help her get stabilized again I guess?

I am not really looking to argue about this further though, you are entitled to your opinion and it is really none of my business..

she stabilizes ok with just sleep,this happened before without hospital.Love is motherfucker,I used to care only about myself,whole world could die as long as I lived I would be able to be happy,this empathic bond is torturing me,

I want to know how much Sulpirid interfere brain regeneration after meth abuse

I'm pretty certain the meth abuse is way more directly neurotoxic than sulipride therapy.

In general people have a tendency to rebound from antipsychotics and return to their normal equilibrium pretty rapidly as soon as they're discontinued, which is often the reason people are kept on them - in general people prone to psychosis won't just "get better" on their own. This is evidenced by how quickly psychotic symptoms return upon discontinuation...

I suspect somehow that if you are spending days awake in a bathtub having a LSD freakout you are going to need more than gentle encouragement and bed rest to get better. The doctors wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't indicated for exactly this kind of situation. Generally hospital staff want to have a high turnover time rather than keeping people doped out in the wards.

Wow, nasty stuff - I knew neuroleptics aren´t healthy on the long run, but really - if I read this correctly - 87% cell death with perphenazine and 47% even with clozapine, that "leponex" thing getting marketed as dyskinesia-free atypical ...

The statement that additional dopamine adminstration actually increased toxicity is rather alarming to me too. Would say that giving neuroleptics in a neuronal over-excitation state (substance induced / withdrawal psychosis) potentiates their toxicity, ... or am I wrong?

--

Little personal anecdote - the two or three times I got real psychosis was every time in psychiatric wards (ok, not counting that psilocybe overdose-but that was much more manageable in comparison) when they tried to put me on strong neuroleptics. Fortunately (due to pure luck) the longest incidence was around 11 days and I was given high dose diazepam too cause of the agitation ...

Last time this happened (I still couldn´t believe it whole, that either my brain/genetics are that fucked up, or a whole scientific area has to be wrong...) around a month ago. I went myself to emergency cause of feared drug (butyryl fentanyl - ugh) overdose, which turned out to be just a panic attack or interaction, but well.. they seemed not even to know about naloxone etc. and of course thought me to be either sucicidal and/or psychotic. The usual ride to the psychiatry, 10mg of risperidone and two days of psychosis.. I told them about my reactions to neuroleptics, maybe this led them to take it off quickly again ... the days after weren´t nice too (coming off daily opioids, stimulants, memantine, and ssri) felt very over-excited and feared of seizures, but clear thoughts, clear control and no more psychosis ...

I really wonder why the administration of anti-excitatoric acute medication is not more widespread - e.g. glutamate antagonists, antiepileptics ...

--

Afaik (ami)sulpiride are different from the other neuroleptics in that they have high affinity for presynaptic autoreceptors, leading to a rather stimulating, pro-dopaminergic effect in low doses, although I never got more than a very little stimulation / rushy feeling out of it at 25-100mg/d - so I tried it higher one day (not knowing much about that these days) with maybe 200-250mg inducing an ugly restlessness and anxiety ... but very different of other neuroleptics.