• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

My secret

Hello friends
ok, so day 26 turned out to be a really good day
it was the first day in a week where I wasn't consumed with mind numbing anger and sadness.
Somehow it just wasn't there today. I worked 16 hours and I could have worked another 10, if I was allowed to.
My mind was clear, I wasn't tired, I didn't feel like using, and I handled everything really well today. It's almost midnight, I home from work and I feel really good. My daughter finished exams and waited up for me and we played like 5 hands of phase 10-before she gave up from losing!!! It felt really good. I can't even remember the last time I played cards with her.
It was just a really good day
I hope you all had a really good day too.
Peace

Hello friends
ok, so day 26 turned out to be a really good day
it was the first day in a week where I wasn't consumed with mind numbing anger and sadness.
Somehow it just wasn't there today. I worked 16 hours and I could have worked another 10, if I was allowed to.
My mind was clear, I wasn't tired, I didn't feel like using, and I handled everything really well today. It's almost midnight, I home from work and I feel really good. My daughter finished exams and waited up for me and we played like 5 hands of phase 10-before she gave up from losing!!! It felt really good. I can't even remember the last time I played cards with her.
It was just a really good day
I hope you all had a really good day too.
Peace

This is just FANTASTIC NEWS! It's an inspiration to myself and many others, I'm sure. I can only dream about what day 26 will look like for me.
I agree with a poster in the past, Imtrying should be "Imsucceeding". This is one good day in a lifetime of many. You've got a second chance at a first class life now.

Good morning friends
it seems I do not need sleep like I did during my drug induced days. It used to be, almost every waking moment I was not at work, I was crashed on the couch or in my bed. Nowadays 5 or 6 hours is the max I can sleep.
So here I start day 27, feeling pretty good and hopeful. It's been a long time since I had 2 good days in a row. Here's to hoping
have a great day everyone.

Ps-nsa-you are very wise, I do beleive I have always had a bit of an addiction to my work. Part of it is becasue I love what I do. Part of it has been an escape for me from some of my realities (loss of brother, mother, father)-and while I know I need to get a balance, right now I'm not sure how. Any tips?

Hi there Imtrying, this is my first post on this forum and I have been following your posts every day. Your story is amazing and I am very proud of you. It is possible to quit on your own, I did so 6 months ago went through hell but in the end it's totally worth it!! Good luck.

Hi "imtrying" I'm gonna keep this one short because I have felt awful today. Completely exhausted and unable.to get any tasks done and just laying on the couch all day and it's been that way for the past.few months

I am assuming you've read some of the interactions between "bernc1" and I. I feel a connection to.her and from reading your thread I feel a connection to you too and I'll get into it more later if you want. But the story.you told about playing a simple game of phase 10 with your girl and how it felt good to be doing that. It made me excited for you and it made happy for you. And in an odd way it gave me hope and strength. I have a 6 yr old that I would like to.do so much more with. But this Damn depression and feeling so defeated and anxiety Are making it so.hard even though I know both of us would enjoy it so much. He is one of the most caring sweet little boys and he is so dang funny. He said something today that made me laugh so hard and it made me realize how long it had been since the last time I laughed like that.

But to get to the point I hope your day today was another good one. And just take one day at a time

I am so very proud of you and
I am thinking of you too and lots of love from "suzie" <3

Hi there Imtrying, this is my first post on this forum and I have been following your posts every day. Your story is amazing and I am very proud of you. It is possible to quit on your own, I did so 6 months ago went through hell but in the end it's totally worth it!! Good luck.

Im honoured that you picked this thread as your first post. Thank you. 6 months feels like a lifetime right now. How are you doing? Did you go to meetings? Congratulations on 6 months

Hi Again, mine is a very long story but I'm going to share it and I hope you and whoever read it can bare with me.

Starting from my childhood and teen years there have been so many things as a little girl I shouldn't have gone through and a lot of messed up things happened to me. I'm in my mid 20s now and looking back when I think about those days there are so many things that I wish I could erase from my memory...
I'm not and won't be in touch with most of my family and parents for lots of reasons and we live pretty far away from each other.
So my story started with me getting into 3 bad car wrecks over the course of 2 years which lead me into using opiates on the regular. I never had addiction problem, and my tolerance was very low. 10mg of hydrocodone was enough to make me feel good for a few hours and I never really abused them. After I ran out of my prescriptions, I would buy them off the streets for recreational use and still never took any more than 10 or at the most 15mgs at once and this went on for years.
I have a great job and career and work over 60 hours a week&make decent money which eventually caused me to move to Midwest for a better job opportunity. The first 6 months after I moved, I never thought about opioids honestly but then later on, life just became boring I guess and I needed that escape and a few hours of fuzzy feeling. The thing about where I live is, pain pills are so hard to find off the streets and I had a hard time trying to find somebody that would sell them. People live here are so anti drug type or so I thought. So one day this dude that used to find me pills every once in a while told me about black tar heroin(maybe brown?)and I was like heck no I am not doing that poison(like its so much different than the pain pills, I mean it is in a way you know what's in the opioids whereas you can't say the same for heroin but the high you get is pretty close) Anyways after thinking about the fact that it's so hard to find opiates here, I decided I was going to give it a try. This part might sound disgusting but when I decided to do H, there was nooooo way I was going to use IV because once you decide to do that there's pretty much no turning back and I can't show up at work with marks also smoking H was a no no too for the same reason. I decided to mix it with water inside of a spoon and cut a straw and just snort it that way. I figured it would be the safest. Let me tell you how gross that thing tastes after you snort it and get the taste in your mouth. It tastes like poison. But the feeling... It made me feel like nothing in the world mattered and the high I got from that lasted for hours so I was in love. I never went overboard with it, same way I did with the opiates I always used tiny amounts twice a day and no more than that. I work long hours at work and I would never crave it when I worked even though some days I work as long as 13-15 hours. This went on for months and in my mind I'm thinking I don't have an addiction problem, everything's cool etc etc. You know there's a saying that goes "you don't know what you're doing until you stop doing" or something like that. One day so out of the blue I decided I was done with it and not going to use it anymore. And still at that point I didnot think I had a problem. Anyways 12 hours into not using, I started feeling sick, hot and cold, sweating constantly but also cold, weird feeling in my legs and I did not sleep that night at all. I was still thinking I had the flu and this is not withdrawal because I'm not addicted to nothing. That was until the next morning when I got very sick I had to call in, I realized that I'm having withdrawals and my body got addicted to that poison. Going to dr or getting help was not an option for me because of my job, this cannot be on my record it's just not even an option so I knew I was going to tough it out and have rough few weeks. Physical withdrawals lasted about 2 weeks and it was bad, I had absolutely no sleep, wasn't able to eat, my body constantly aching etc it was not fun. But to me the hardest part was the emotional withdrawals, everything would make me cry I was so depressed for months And would listen to sad songs and cry cry cry.. This lasted about 3 months and it was rough. To anyone, who is reading this, it is possible to quit and to do it on your own(although I don't know about the IV addiction, I personally never tried and would never do so) just decide that you will do it and stick to it. I never went to AA meetings either because like I said because of my job, discretion is important and if anyone from work sees me at one of those meetings, that would effect my career in a negative way. And what really helped me to kick it fast and not to think about that nasty habit anymore was(maybe you should try it Imtrying) working out. I started working out regularly at the gym starting from simple cardio and then later on to weights etc and that changed my whole attitude about life and everything. It gave me natural high that no drug can ever give and it's so amazing. It's the best way to kick a nasty habit, either tobacco or any other drug.
Ok I know this has been a long post but my advice is don't do drugs. I so wish I never did H because I feel like it changed a lot of stuff going on in my brain and the balance. I can't think the same way I used to think anymore, I have memory problems and stuff like that. Feel free to DM me and if you ever need advice or feel lonely, I'm here!
Peace x

Hi Again, mine is a very long story but I'm going to share it and I hope you and whoever read it can bare with me.

Starting from my childhood and teen years there have been so many things as a little girl I shouldn't have gone through and a lot of messed up things happened to me. I'm in my mid 20s now and looking back when I think about those days there are so many things that I wish I could erase from my memory...
I'm not and won't be in touch with most of my family and parents for lots of reasons and we live pretty far away from each other.
So my story started with me getting into 3 bad car wrecks over the course of 2 years which lead me into using opiates on the regular. I never had addiction problem, and my tolerance was very low. 10mg of hydrocodone was enough to make me feel good for a few hours and I never really abused them. After I ran out of my prescriptions, I would buy them off the streets for recreational use and still never took any more than 10 or at the most 15mgs at once and this went on for years.
I have a great job and career and work over 60 hours a week&make decent money which eventually caused me to move to Midwest for a better job opportunity. The first 6 months after I moved, I never thought about opioids honestly but then later on, life just became boring I guess and I needed that escape and a few hours of fuzzy feeling. The thing about where I live is, pain pills are so hard to find off the streets and I had a hard time trying to find somebody that would sell them. People live here are so anti drug type or so I thought. So one day this dude that used to find me pills every once in a while told me about black tar heroin(maybe brown?)and I was like heck no I am not doing that poison(like its so much different than the pain pills, I mean it is in a way you know what's in the opioids whereas you can't say the same for heroin but the high you get is pretty close) Anyways after thinking about the fact that it's so hard to find opiates here, I decided I was going to give it a try. This part might sound disgusting but when I decided to do H, there was nooooo way I was going to use IV because once you decide to do that there's pretty much no turning back and I can't show up at work with marks also smoking H was a no no too for the same reason. I decided to mix it with water inside of a spoon and cut a straw and just snort it that way. I figured it would be the safest. Let me tell you how gross that thing tastes after you snort it and get the taste in your mouth. It tastes like poison. But the feeling... It made me feel like nothing in the world mattered and the high I got from that lasted for hours so I was in love. I never went overboard with it, same way I did with the opiates I always used tiny amounts twice a day and no more than that. I work long hours at work and I would never crave it when I worked even though some days I work as long as 13-15 hours. This went on for months and in my mind I'm thinking I don't have an addiction problem, everything's cool etc etc. You know there's a saying that goes "you don't know what you're doing until you stop doing" or something like that. One day so out of the blue I decided I was done with it and not going to use it anymore. And still at that point I didnot think I had a problem. Anyways 12 hours into not using, I started feeling sick, hot and cold, sweating constantly but also cold, weird feeling in my legs and I did not sleep that night at all. I was still thinking I had the flu and this is not withdrawal because I'm not addicted to nothing. That was until the next morning when I got very sick I had to call in, I realized that I'm having withdrawals and my body got addicted to that poison. Going to dr or getting help was not an option for me because of my job, this cannot be on my record it's just not even an option so I knew I was going to tough it out and have rough few weeks. Physical withdrawals lasted about 2 weeks and it was bad, I had absolutely no sleep, wasn't able to eat, my body constantly aching etc it was not fun. But to me the hardest part was the emotional withdrawals, everything would make me cry I was so depressed for months And would listen to sad songs and cry cry cry.. This lasted about 3 months and it was rough. To anyone, who is reading this, it is possible to quit and to do it on your own(although I don't know about the IV addiction, I personally never tried and would never do so) just decide that you will do it and stick to it. I never went to AA meetings either because like I said because of my job, discretion is important and if anyone from work sees me at one of those meetings, that would effect my career in a negative way. And what really helped me to kick it fast and not to think about that nasty habit anymore was(maybe you should try it Imtrying) working out. I started working out regularly at the gym starting from simple cardio and then later on to weights etc and that changed my whole attitude about life and everything. It gave me natural high that no drug can ever give and it's so amazing. It's the best way to kick a nasty habit, either tobacco or any other drug.
Ok I know this has been a long post but my advice is don't do drugs. I so wish I never did H because I feel like it changed a lot of stuff going on in my brain and the balance. I can't think the same way I used to think anymore, I have memory problems and stuff like that. Feel free to DM me and if you ever need advice or feel lonely, I'm here!
Peace x
You actually just answered my question. This "addiction" thing is just absolutely horrible:(

And as "imtryin" knows yet I choose to call her "ivesucceeded" :)))....mine were prescribed as well but since my sister took the same dose as me (and also methadone) shed just give me "extras" as my tolerance grew. Mystic33, your story is also an inspiration to me<3

so glad to hear you've been able to claim 26+ days. you rule!!

Hello friends
day 29.
Bern-to answer your questions about codiene. I don't really know. I don't have too much experience with oxy- thankfully it is not a drug I have taken enough of to become. Addicted to it. That being said, I do think addiction is addiction-my withdrawl may have been easier than herion or oxy ( it was bad enough, beleive me)-but I think paws might be similar. I am past the physical and now in paws for sure. As far as being sick-I took 800mg of codiene per day. That is enough to kill you. And yes, if I didn't get it in me by the evening I was sick. Sick like the wd's i experieced. And no offence. I do not compare whose addiction is worse. I am just taking care of me and mine. That being said, I beleve that anyone can get clean and expericee a better life. I have read so many stories on here now that I belevie it now more than ever. It takes a huge decision and an acceptance of a certain amount of pain and discomfort I also know that it isn't for everyone. If it was , everyone would do it. I have first hand experience of that, as my brother overdoes and died. He tried to get clean. It wasn't because he didn't want it. He wanted it so bad. He tried so many times. And he didn't kill himself -he just took too much one day. And that was that. All our heartache of his active addiction switched to headache of his death. And still I took enough to kill me. Addiction is so fucked up-it doesn't matter what you use. If it does to you what it does to me, it's still addiction

anyway-I hope your day is good and you are not in terrible pain.

Hi there friends
Today is day 29, but it is a very different day. I am on vacation
no work. At all. For 8 days
it has already been strange. I am clearly not comforttable in my own skin, because when you take me out of my I element ( work), I seem to be lost. I struggle more with the paws side when I'm not at work. Maybe because it is so fast paced and I have no choice but to move, move, move. Once I have a choice, I don't know what to do. I struggle with self-discipline so much

anyway, this next week will be good for me. I am spending the whole week travelling with my husband and daughter.
last night we stayed up until midnight playing phase 10 again , and we had to get up at 430am today to catch a flight.

Wish me luck!!
i have such a great little family, as each of us need thisi break from "life"-me for my recovery, my husband becasue he works too much and my daughter because she is dealing. With her own grief and anger right now. So this will. BE good for our family.

Just got back from vacation myself. Does the mind good to get a break. Congrats on your continued succes. Awesome!

bravo! a month is a BIG DEAL, i think. a psychological milestone... and 30+ days!!! fantastic work.

Hello friends
day 29.
Bern-to answer your questions about codiene. I don't really know. I don't have too much experience with oxy- thankfully it is not a drug I have taken enough of to become. Addicted to it. That being said, I do think addiction is addiction-my withdrawl may have been easier than herion or oxy ( it was bad enough, beleive me)-but I think paws might be similar. I am past the physical and now in paws for sure. As far as being sick-I took 800mg of codiene per day. That is enough to kill you. And yes, if I didn't get it in me by the evening I was sick. Sick like the wd's i experieced. And no offence. I do not compare whose addiction is worse. I am just taking care of me and mine. That being said, I beleve that anyone can get clean and expericee a better life. I have read so many stories on here now that I belevie it now more than ever. It takes a huge decision and an acceptance of a certain amount of pain and discomfort I also know that it isn't for everyone. If it was , everyone would do it. I have first hand experience of that, as my brother overdoes and died. He tried to get clean. It wasn't because he didn't want it. He wanted it so bad. He tried so many times. And he didn't kill himself -he just took too much one day. And that was that. All our heartache of his active addiction switched to headache of his death. And still I took enough to kill me. Addiction is so fucked up-it doesn't matter what you use. If it does to you what it does to me, it's still addiction

anyway-I hope your day is good and you are not in terrible pain.
Imtryin, I hope you forgive me. I deleted that comment as soon as I posted it and then read someone else's. Yes, at one point I had a strong alcohol addiction after my mom passed away (and just kept thinking since my dad was already gone that my only 2 "lifelines" of support were gone since of course I'm not going to use my son as one...meaning for support but will use him for motivation).........that being said I SWORE to never use anything again until I tried the oxys once. I didn't use frequently though until I then needed to because of illness and my spinal problems (the illness being the worst). But I used all day, everyday just to even be able to cook a meal or tidy up my home a bit. Then of course, there's the emotional factor of it all. I'm not familiar with drugs (besides what alcohol can do) by any means so I truly didn't know anything about codeine or the fact that the mass quantity you once used was life threatening. I also didn't know that just using it once per day could cause wds. I didn't mean to say that some wds are worse then others (trust me I've just not been "me" lately AT ALL). You were here for me right from the start and immediatedly after writing that, I took it off (or thought I did but obviously it remained longer then I'd thought). Upon reading the next story I then understood more and also then did my own research and yes, God, you are lucky to be alive. I also didn't know that your brothers death was due to overdosing. Words cannot express how very sorry I am because yes, any addiction is an addiction there were just facts I didn't realize and therefore should not have written. Truly my own anxiety just went into overdrive and instead of even asking what I did I should have done the research 1st. I know you have a kind and loving heart so I'm hoping you fully forgive me for even asking such a "stupid" thing:(. My days haven't been good but instead of writing them again on your thread (which again is so very inspirational to me) I'm hoping you read what I wrote last on mine. If not for my son? I'd just give up and not go on. I'm sorry for this sad comment on your optimistic thread:(. Perhaps if you read mine you'll understand a bit more as for why since its been going on for about a week or so and progressing and then the tragedy I came home to just intensified it all by a million:(.....on a happier note though, I congratulate you to the fullest extent for making it to 30 days:). Tons of love to you always<3

Hi there!!
Happy Canada Day!!!
im actually in the US this week, but I'll wear my Canada shirt today!!
well, day 4 of my vacation, I'm in Boston right now -what an awesome city. So much to do here. My husband is very excited to see a Red Sox game on Friday -although a bruins game would be his favourite thing to do here, no hockey this time of year. So Fenway park it is..
I have had some uncomfortable moments in the past few day-I can't explain it, but I feel like if I could take my pills I would be having a better time. It is so stupid, because it is those same pills that keep me in bed.
The biggest change in my life so far has been getting up at 5 or 6 am every morning, not needing anymore sleep. And I really do not want to go back to my bed.
Anyway, I hope you are all having a good day so far. I'm heading into my 5th week clean now-i don't want to go back.