• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Thoughts, Experiences and advice on going abroad with heroin addiction,

Bambooshoot

Bluelighter
Apologies in advance for the lack of paragraphs I am writing with them on my phone but disappear on hitting post Good afternoon fellow ODers, seldom do I make a thread but I could really use all the advice your beautiful, insighful minds can muster. I will try and keep this short and sweet. So, female 23 with an 8 year heroin addiction five of which are IV. for reasons I won't bore you with I am going to Greece for a week to see my mother from the UK. I am on roughly half a gram a day. the plan was to taper and then suck it up for 5 days. I am on my second attempt and again I've cracked at day 2|3 itss weak but I was climbing the walls leaving a snail trail of my sanity behind. The only comfort meds I can afford are paracetamol, ibuprofen and antihistamines.Maybe some weed . It's getting to the time where I really have to do something I'm going on the 9th of June so it's crunch time. My only other plan was to go to the doctor explain my situation and hope for some dihydrocodeine while I'm there as its only for 7 days. I do get diazepam from the doctor so that will be a big help. So,the question, what do you guys think? Do you have any experience, insights or advice for me? I would be extremely grateful. For the blatantly obvious reasons smuggling anything isn't an option. Thank you in advance for any responses. Sorry the facts ran a bit longer than I anticipated. Take care guys <Bamboo>

Last edited:
wow i was in the exact situation as u so i have to comment. this last run lasted about 7 months or so banging up to 25 bags a day so any way i was facing a delema, june 1st i leave for florida for a week and i was like wtf am i guna do I'm guna try and quit the week b4 (even tho in my mind i knew there was no way in hell that was guna happen). so what i was guna do is exactly wat u said say fuck it do my last shot b4 the plane and then just drink the withdrawals away for a week and be miserable on the trip… luckily i didn't have to do any of this..

i did end up quitting before the trip (9 days ago was my last shot) i won't bore you with the story why i ended up quitting its rather long but any way yea its a shitty situation i think you should quit a week or at least a few days b4 the trip. this way you wil have access to w.e. comfort meds since ur home and trust me on this one i know people say this is fucked but ALCOHOL IS AMAZING FOR WITHDRAWAL. specifically wine it helped me so fucking much. wine and gabapentin at night made this the easiest kick I've had to date. now i feel great and i don't have to be sick on the trip

good luck and i wish u the best

I had to taper/quit for a trip 4 years ago. You really need to do this prior to the trip, because why spend a week abroad dopesick as fuck? Sure, you could pawn off the symptoms as any number of things related to travel (jetlag, bad food, and so on), but fuck that. Get a strip of suboxone now, maybe several. If you cant quick taper, load the fuck up right before you get in the airport. A good sized (not stupid tho) dose will carry you several days into the trip, but it's still better to detox before you fly. Ive detoxed cold while having to work, while being in jail, and I thought those were bad - I cannot imagine being dopesick for an international flight (I hate flying anyway). as you say smugling is NOT an option, and probably neither is copping dope once you land. A legal scrip of valium WILL do wonders. Alcohol is good too (sometimes) but be careful with that and the benzos.

^^Alcohol is very appealing and good while your drunk but once to start "coming down" from the alcohol the cramps and sweats and general shitty feeling gets increased by at least double.

If you don't quit the best thing you can hope for is benzos, ive had a Xanax binge(which I don't do anymore, benzos are much better used for appropriate reasons) and managed to forget to have my 100mg daily of methadone for FOUR DAYS! Now everyone knows methadone is probably the hardest of all the opies to come off and the WD's are what nightmares are made of but the benzo that's not even a muscle relaxant like valium was enough for me to not feel anything bad. Not sure if that would work again though.

I really would try to get off it all asap though, your mum is more important than heroin ever has or will be, you can quit for her because im sure she wants to see you. Things that help during WD are magnesium in powder form before bed, lots of fish oil for the Omega-3, Vit-D, Berocca or Vit-B/C. You would be su[rised how much the magnesium helps. WD's would be a walk in the park for me if I didn't get such bad cramps in my thighs & calf muscles & tortuous RLS. And my savious in detox was Epson salt baths(and funnily enough I found out after than Epson salts is just magnesium crystals) Id have 3 salt baths a day with lavender oil also for the extra relaxation and lavender is great & does work.
Paracetamol/apap, ibuprofen, Deep Heat/voltaren heat cream, I cant think of it but its used for when you have the runs, someone will know what im talking about, its an opiate that doesn't cross the BBB and is invaluable in WD's. If you get abdominal pain they gave me Ponstan in detox which is for period pain(im a male) but obviously helps with the abdominal issues, We were also given Melatonin sublingually and that helped, anti-histamines like Phenergan(promethazine) or Mersyndol(APAP/Paracetamol, doxylamine succinate & codeine) but on second thoughts Dolased or one of the brands with just Doxylamine Succinate in it might be better coz the codeine might have an unpredictable effect, it could make it easier, it might drag the WD's out longer so id stick clear of any opies except maybe Suboxone/Subutex/buprenorphine.

I hope you get over there!

Apologies in advance for the lack of paragraphs I am writing with them on my phone but disappear on hitting post Good afternoon fellow ODers, seldom do I make a thread but I could really use all the advice your beautiful, insighful minds can muster. I will try and keep this short and sweet. So, female 23 with an 8 year heroin addiction five of which are IV. for reasons I won't bore you with I am going to Greece for a week to see my mother from the UK. I am on roughly half a gram a day. the plan was to taper and then suck it up for 5 days. I am on my second attempt and again I've cracked at day 2|3 itss weak but I was climbing the walls leaving a snail trail of my sanity behind. The only comfort meds I can afford are paracetamol, ibuprofen and antihistamines.Maybe some weed . It's getting to the time where I really have to do something I'm going on the 9th of June so it's crunch time. My only other plan was to go to the doctor explain my situation and hope for some dihydrocodeine while I'm there as its only for 7 days. I do get diazepam from the doctor so that will be a big help. So,the question, what do you guys think? Do you have any experience, insights or advice for me? I would be extremely grateful. For the blatantly obvious reasons smuggling anything isn't an option. Thank you in advance for any responses. Sorry the facts ran a bit longer than I anticipated. Take care guys <Bamboo>

Maybe look up some headshops in greece for kratom or when you get there go to a market looking for poppy seeds and make poppy seed tea to hold you over. Try to find a bulk health food store or something, or an open market type of thing, not like an actual big grocery store. If they are good seeds, poppy seed tea has the most definite ability to hold you over, even with a huge habit, people underestimate how strong tea can be from a few lbs of unwashed seeds. Just buy em, put a pound / 1.5 lbs in a 2l pop bottle, add a litre or so of water, shake like hell, maybe add a lime or lemon, shake again, but not for more then 5 minutes (If you leave the seeds in water for too long, the seeds begin to absorb the water and also leak out nasty oils in the tea), and then filter by partially unscrewing the cap and squeezing the bottle or by fully unscrewing the cap and filtering it through a old t-shirt or sock or something. These are both much better alternatives to trying to cop in a foreign country. Kratom also shouldn't be underestimated, I got off a half gram to a gram a day habit with kratom. Kratom is less addicting then seed tea, because seed tea is really just a shitty opium extrract with a shit ton of random opiate alkaloids including morphine and codeine, but also like 50 other ones lol.

The benzodiazepines are going to be your best-friend in this situation if you end up going abroad with not opioids. You're in luck too, because of all the benzodiazepines, I feel that diazepam is the most practical and effective. It's long lasting, so you can take it maybe twice per day, morning and night. You might need more than that though. It's hard to reckon, without knowing how strong your dope is. May I ask how much diazepam you will be able to take with you? I'm sure we could put our heads together on here and give you a practical dosing regimen, however, your doctor is always the best person to ask. This is hard if you don't have an honest relationship with your doctor though (not judging at all, been there).

As far as opioids go, the quickest and easiest option is probably going to be loperamide (Immodium) the anti-diarrhea medication. Itself being an opioid closely related to fentanyl, it can really curb the withdrawal syndrome. Depending of course on who you ask, there aren't really any central nervous system effects, but it will certainly take away a large portion of your symptoms. Bear in mind, you will require several times the dose implied by the label, I'd recommend checking out the loperamide megathread. With a heroin habit, it's not like you're going to get any desired opioid effects from the dihydrocodeine. So in my opinion, you should just skip the doctor, stock up on a ton of loperamide (costco 400 2mg tablets for about $6.00) and take your diazepam and you should be able to enjoy your time with the Hellens ;)

The benzodiazepines are going to be your best-friend in this situation if you end up going abroad with not opioids. You're in luck too, because of all the benzodiazepines, I feel that diazepam is the most practical and effective. It's long lasting, so you can take it maybe twice per day, morning and night. You might need more than that though. It's hard to reckon, without knowing how strong your dope is. May I ask how much diazepam you will be able to take with you? I'm sure we could put our heads together on here and give you a practical dosing regimen, however, your doctor is always the best person to ask. This is hard if you don't have an honest relationship with your doctor though (not judging at all, been there).

As far as opioids go, the quickest and easiest option is probably going to be loperamide (Immodium) the anti-diarrhea medication. Itself being an opioid closely related to fentanyl, it can really curb the withdrawal syndrome. Depending of course on who you ask, there aren't really any central nervous system effects, but it will certainly take away a large portion of your symptoms. Bear in mind, you will require several times the dose implied by the label, I'd recommend checking out the loperamide megathread. With a heroin habit, it's not like you're going to get any desired opioid effects from the dihydrocodeine. So in my opinion, you should just skip the doctor, stock up on a ton of loperamide (costco 400 2mg tablets for about $6.00) and take your diazepam and you should be able to enjoy your time with the Hellens ;)

I disagree with using high dose loperamide to kick. It's dangerous, and hella raises your tolerance and has even shittier withdrawals then traditional opiates imo, I suspect it has some serotonin activity like tramadol.
If you do, only use it for the trip, and don't make a habit of using it to avoid withdrawal for cheap or else you will dig yourself into an even shittier hole.

Also, it causes cardiac problems and eventually cardiac arrest in high doses that eventually lead to death if not ceased using: http://www.researchgate.net/publica...conduction_disturbance_after_loperamide_abuse

Last edited:
^A very valid point that I missed. Pbuilder has it right. Loperamide is going to mess with your tolerance and prolong withdrawal. If you're going on vacation though and you're desperate, it will get you through. But for the above stated reasons, it can be contraindicated for withdrawal unless you're following a taper religiously. It's my understanding that Loperamide is, in reality, a highly potent opioid. It just cant pass through the blood-brain barrier.

Thank you everyone for your well thought out informative responses, I learned something from them all especially pbuilder, ketman and kid amaine. Update: My friend is an angel she gave me 14 DHC prolonged release 60mg I took 2 first thing and another 2 at bout 10pm they've been great. So I got the doc tomorrow, I get about 20 5mg diazepam 30 10mg amitriptyline 30 30mg(500) co codamol, I leave first thing Thursday morning so have 4 days left, do you guys have any idea of a rapid taper schedule? I will follow with more detailed replies to each of your posts. Much love for the great responses! <Bamboo>

From what I've heard, doctors in Greece expect to be paid in cash even by people with insurance. So if you pay enough I'd guess it should be possible to get a prescription for something low-potency like DHC and/or more Benzodiazepines. It's likely that you'll need more than 100mg Diazepam for one week. Also you should ask your doctor for a letter in case customs find your Co-codamol. Most likely they won't bother but in theory you probably need some documentation to import opioids.

I would strongly recommend against trying to buy anything illegal in Greece. Greek drug laws are notoriously tough, the prisons are said to be real hellholes and the country is in state of collapse.

It might be helpful to try and get a dose of methadone to take before the flight. If you have a suitcase, put the meds there and not in your hand luggage.

---
EDIT: This is the site of a greek harm-reduction service: http://www.kethea.gr/en-us/home.aspx - If you contact them they can probably give you much better advice than anyone here. I'd specifically ask them if you can get in trouble importing something like Co-Codamol without a permit and whether it's difficult to get a prescription in Greece.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, I lived over there for 5 years (9 years ago) and my mum has been there about 12 now, funnily enough last time I went I ended up banged up for several days over a bag mix up it was terrifying to say the least as I was withdrawing through that not to mention the 1000 Euro bail. I have never had a problem before with taking my co codamol over there that should be fine this time as well like you said I will keep it in my suitcase thank you very much for the reply.
Also you are right you cannot see a doc without paying over the odds, I.actually managed to get 40 5mg diazepam today but went a bit ottth indulging and giving some away, but I did get 60 ,30mg (500mg) co codamol so I thiink they will tide me over just fine! Take care <Bamboo>

Last edited:
That sounds terrifying indeed. What was it like in greek jail?

As for the Co-Codamol, with 60 you could do it like this:

Day 1 and 2: 4 x 30mg, 3 times a day
Day 3 and 4: 3 x 30 mg, 3 times a day
Day 5, 6 and 7: 2 x 30mg, 3 times a day
---
= 2 x 12 + 2 x 9 + 3 x 6 = 60

The way any junkie affords a habit... They are resourceful as fuck.

If your bearly getting into it. Try to quit if you can cause this lifestyle aint no joke and you will always be wasting money on it constantly plus you lose friends cause they either OD or they stop talking to you and unless you make a lot of money constantly you better be prepared to go to jail at sometime for supporting your habit. Shit sucks trying to get off of.

The way any junkie affords a habit... They are resourceful as fuck.

I guess things must be cheaper there because here thats the equivalent to a decent enough paying job's days wages.. per day. Yike. I understand the resourceful hustle, but to sustain that for that long? Damn.

Tar here is like gram price of quality bud for half g of the tar and eigth charge for a gram. It can be cheaper than you think, but low quality of course. Takes a tenth gram at least for a shot.... Newbies can do half g even possibly while gram in a shot without od just a nice average nod. It's sad...

God damn half gram a day? How in the hell do you afford that..
I done a lot of different things, shoplifting unfortunately was one, getting stuff of tick them paying when the money came, borrowing money. We can be very resourceful when it comes down to it, because its either that or
you can't even get out of bed, its not called the devils dandruff for nothing, < Bamboo>

That sounds terrifying indeed. What was it like in greek jail?

As for the Co-Codamol, with 60 you could do it like this:

Day 1 and 2: 4 x 30mg, 3 times a day
Day 3 and 4: 3 x 30 mg, 3 times a day
Day 5, 6 and 7: 2 x 30mg, 3 times a day
---
= 2 x 12 + 2 x 9 + 3 x 6 = 60
Thank you hisredrighthand that sounds like a plan! It was strange I was in a cell with a guy and his like 6 year old little girl, apparently I was held in "nice" cells.
They didnt have enough handcuffs for us all as I was the only woman was handcuffed to this other guy for 12 hours in the court, when they were taking us to court I went downstairs and where other people were being held . they had to knock on the door to use the toilet, if the guard feel like letting them out
they had to pee on the floor with no mattresses in was just Barbaric to say the least as they crammed 40 in there <Bamboo>

Last edited:
That's a lot of paracetamol tho try to cold water extract if you can! I missed my methadone pick up at the the weekend and 32 paramol extracted sorted Me out at 48 hours after last dose. Ob wasn't in full blown withdraw but was not far off it