Writing-up Toronto, Canada. Cognitive Memory Study LF: Ketamine users, Cannabis users & Control

Tenshin

Greenlighter
Toronto, Canada. Cognitive Memory Study LF: Ketamine users, Cannabis users & Control

Research posting:
Researchers at Ryerson University are interested in studying the cognitive effects associated with the use of recreational drugs. We are recruiting individuals that currently use ketamine or cannabis at least once per month. We are also recruiting individuals who are currently using other recreational drugs (all types) at least once per month and individuals that are not currently using substances of any type for recreational purposes.

Your participation will require completing anonymous questionnaires about drug history and experiences associated with both legal and illegal drugs. Questions about personal experiences may cause psychological discomfort. In addition, you will be asked to complete various measures regarding your experiences, thoughts, and feelings, as well as virtual-reality and other computerized tasks measuring navigation and memory skills.

Overall, participation will take approximately 3 hours, for which you will receive $30.

Your participation in any/all components of the study will be on a voluntary basis. If interested and you are between the ages of 18-60, please email [email protected] or call the BIM Lab at 416-979-5000 extension 2192 for further information.

My personal commentary to you all, not directly moderated by the BIM LAB
Hello Bluelight!

I'm posting this study for individuals which are interested in participating.

I am a research assistant in this laboratory, and previously participated in the experiment myself before joining.

This experiment has been approved by the ethics board of Ryerson University and, in my opinion as a previous participant, does not marginalize illicit substance users.

I can answer some questions you may have surrounding the study (though many questions about the study itself I am not allowed to answer for experimental validity's sake).

Last edited:
It's a shame I live in Amsterdam, I use ketamine once every two or three weeks for 1-3 days in a row and I smoke weed a few days a week (among other drugs; I'm on methadone, stable dose, used daily heroin until like two weeks ago when I started the methadone and I use psychedelics, and I have a very extensive 10 year drug use history, which includes heavy ketamine addiction that I finally got under control a few months back) and I'm actually pretty curious how I'd do on in such research I have a genius IQ though but this is all absolutely irrelevant as I live no where near Canada. Good luck with your study please do publish it here when it's done, I'm curious, since these are much my drugs of choice and I do wonder to what degree it influences my cognitive functioning so yeah publish when it's done because unfortunately I can't participate but I'd love to read the results :)

It's a shame I live in Amsterdam, I use ketamine once every two or three weeks for 1-3 days in a row and I smoke weed a few days a week (among other drugs; I'm on methadone, stable dose, used daily heroin until like two weeks ago when I started the methadone and I use psychedelics, and I have a very extensive 10 year drug use history, which includes heavy ketamine addiction that I finally got under control a few months back) and I'm actually pretty curious how I'd do on in such research I have a genius IQ though but this is all absolutely irrelevant as I live no where near Canada. Good luck with your study please do publish it here when it's done, I'm curious, since these are much my drugs of choice and I do wonder to what degree it influences my cognitive functioning so yeah publish when it's done because unfortunately I can't participate but I'd love to read the results :)

When I get the study results, I will be sure to post them here.

Also, love your Spiral Tribe avatar!

Participants still needed

Hi! I'm the senior researcher on this project and professor at Ryerson. After a hiatus following slow recruitment, we're trying to reignite this project to obtain a few more participants. Here is an updated, ethics-approved version of our study ad:

PARTICIPANTS NEEDED!

Researchers at Ryerson University are interested in studying the cognitive effects associated with the use of recreational drugs. We are recruiting individuals that currently use ketamine or cannabis at least once per month. We are also recruiting individuals who are currently using other recreational drugs (all types) at least once per month and individuals that are not currently using substances of any type for recreational purposes.

Your participation will require completing questionnaires about drug history and experiences associated with both legal and illegal drugs. Questions about personal experiences may cause psychological discomfort. In addition, you will be asked to complete various measures regarding your experiences, thoughts, and feelings, as well as virtual-reality and other computerized tasks measuring navigation and memory skills.

Overall, participation will take approximately 3.5 hours, for which you will receive $35. Your participation in any/all components of the study will be on a voluntary basis. If interested and you are between the ages of 18-60, please email [email protected] for further information.

Note: This study requires in-person participation in Toronto (if you live elsewhere and are interested in research, please an ad for another study by our lab that is online - posted by Teshin on the Drugs & Mental States Survey)

I'm in, but do not understand the geological aspect attempted in the note?

Can you refraise that please.

Thanks - the note was meant to clarify that the above posting is NOT for an online survey, but rather we're recruiting folks from Toronto (ON, Canada) who would be interested in coming into our lab in person for this study. The part in parentheses is an added note that we do however also have a current international online study posted under a separate thread called Drugs & Mental States Survey.

After a few attempts to reignite this study, the pandemic prevented further recruitment. As it has been several years now and we're not able to fully conduct this work in the lab yet, the study team has decided to analyse and report the data we had prepandemic - when we resume this work, we will likely post as a new study. I didn't create the thread, so can't change the status.