• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How to increase serotonin receptors volume?

AddBull

Greenlighter
Hey,

I have read many topics here, but I don't find any concrete answer.

Is there any way to increase the receptors volume? Is it even possible? I want to take a break from addy and from abusing it. I know I can increase the serotonin levels, but I'm interested more in something long term.

Thanks for any info.

I don't think you can increase serotonin receptor levels in any meaningful way, unless you abuse serotonergic substances regularly (e.g. MDMA) in which case you can increase receptor levels just by giving that substance a break. Even if you found something that could increase serotonin receptor levels overall you might not like the effects. Increased 5-HT1 type receptors would actually decrease the amount of available serotonin since they act as autoreceptors. Increased 5-HT3 receptors would probably make you perpetually nauseous.

Why do you think increasing serotonin receptor levels would help you in any way? Adderall doesn't even interact with the serotonin receptor system (directly at least) so I'm curious why you think you need to alter your serotonin system at all.

I started reading and freaking out about everything. Since I always feel tired (and felt before adderall), I thought more serotonin receptors will bring me back. I was abusing adderall recently and I'm depleted from serotonin completely. Nothing really helps and my anxiety is higher.

From what I have read it has to be serotonin and also that I could damage serotonin receptors by releasing a lot of dopamine with adderall.

From what I have read it has to be serotonin

It's rarely as simple as that. If you're reading stuff in a flurry of anxiety and self-diagnosing you are not exactly in a state to be checking references....

"More serotonin receptors" is a poorly defined term anyway, are you talking about ones in the brain, ones in the periphery, 5ht1a, 1b/d, 2a, 2b, 2c, 3, 4, 5, 7, etc? And located where in the brain? How can you tell you are deficient in serotonin anyway? Why do you think having more serotonin (a normally inhibitory neurotransmitter) is going to make you more awake?

What is the proposed mechanism for dopamine release damaging serotonin receptors? Can you cite a paper? Has the effect ever been observed in humans?

More relevant questions you should think about, instead:
What is your diet and sleep cycle like? Do you chart your daily intake of macro and micro-nutrients? Do you engage in regular aerobic exercise? Use other drugs, caffeine, alcohol, nicotine? Do you have high stress levels in your life (economic, social, etc?) Do you sleep on a proper mattress with low light levels? Do you generally maintain sleep hygiene? Do you ever use sleeping aids (herbal/chemical)? Do you meditate or engage in yoga/breathing/mindfulness exercises?

afair st. john's wort can increase 5-ht2 receptor density. but i really don't think that increased receptor density is what you're really looking for.

feeling tired also isn't a symptom of "too little serotonin" or something. if you take large doses of l-tryptophan, resulting in increased serotonin levels, you'll rather become sleepy...

I think it'd hilarious the claims studies make regarding increasing volume or density of a given receptor then people read that and they freak out and think it's great!

It's not. Receptor density is brain region dependent in its usefulness, higher density of a given receptor may contribute as a negative modulator even. It's hilarious how psychomotor data and receptor density claims like this has created the nootropic market. Most of these studies aren't even translatable to humans.

Zedz

I think it'd hilarious the claims studies make regarding increasing volume or density of a given receptor then people read that and they freak out and think it's great!

It's not. Receptor density is brain region dependent in its usefulness, higher density of a given receptor may contribute as a negative modulator even. It's hilarious how psychomotor data and receptor density claims like this has created the nootropic market. Most of these studies aren't even translatable to humans.

Zedz

Most definitely. It's more the "percentage" of receptors occupied that leads to euphoric experiences. So *less* receptors in this case (less expression and not more up-regulation) would make for a more euphorigenic subjective affect. They always quantify the effectiveness in drug habituation in terms of, say, 90% receptor occupancy. Tolerance is when you have more receptors, not less, in terms of how it is currently understood.

First thing you would need to figure out is which receptor you are talking about. There is nothing uniform about all the serotonin receptors. They are all regulated differently.