• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin "Home-Brewed Heroin Made Possible"

Joey24x18

Bluelighter
Saw this on my newsfeed today.

By Rachel Feltman

A new paper in Nature Chemical Biology suggests that yeast can be modified to produce opiates from sugar - albeit not without a whole lot of biology expertise - meaning that dangerous drugs could be made at home the same way hobbyists create beer.

But researchers warn that regulators should act quickly to keep DIY home-brewers from figuring out the process for themselves.

Creating the same opiates poppies do (which go into familiar drugs like morphine and oxycodone) is an intriguing prospect from a pharmaceutical standpoint. Cultivating yeast is much simpler than growing fields of poppies, and yeast-born opiates have more potential to be tweaked for specific medical purposes.

"It's hard to add or subtract genes into the plant, and plants grow very slowly," lead author John Dueber of UC Berkeley told WIRED. "Whereas, we can easily put in different DNA and change combinations of genes in yeast-and yeast can double every two hours."

In the new paper, Dueber and his colleagues tweaked an enzyme in yeast, allowing it to turn sugar into reticuline. Reticuline isn't an actual opiate, but it's a chemical precursor that can be used to make morphine and codeine, among other drugs. Dueber estimates that a strain of yeast allowing for the complete formation of opiates from sugar could be just a year or two away.

"What you really want to do from a fermentation perspective is to be able to feed the yeast glucose, which is a cheap sugar source, and have the yeast do all the chemical steps required downstream to make your target therapeutic drug," Dueber said in a statement. "With our study, all the steps have been described, and it's now a matter of linking them together and scaling up the process. It's not a trivial challenge, but it's doable."

It might not ever be easy to get a worthwhile yield of drugs from a homebrew kit full of modified yeast. But because of the potential dangers of home-brewed opiates, Dueber and his co-authors hope that regulation will jump ahead of the science to keep DIY-ers from ever taking advantage of the new synthetic biology.

"Things are moving really fast right now," Kenneth Oye, an MIT professor not involved in the study told BuzzFeed News.

"It's not like tomorrow someone's going to have a fully integrated, one-pot pathway to go from sugar to morphine," Oye said. "But it's coming."

Oye, who penned a commentary article to accompany the new study in Nature, believes that regulations should be put in place to make brewing with the engineered yeast at home illegal. But others argue that if the process actually turns out to be as simple as brewing beer at home, squeezing people with regulation would just create black market demand for the yeast. And with synthetic biology turning into an increasingly accessible hobby thanks to better, cheaper equipment and techniques, it might just be a matter of time before the strain is recreated outside of a research lab.

"An additional concern is that once the knowledge of how to create an opiate-producing strain is out there, anyone trained in basic molecular biology could theoretically build it," Dueber said.

it's still illegal production of a schedule 1 substance & going to be a right bastard to seperate out the milligrams of morphine per liter of foamy, nasty fermentation broth!

going to be a right bastard to seperate out the milligrams of morphine per liter of foamy, nasty fermentation broth!

Pssssshhhhh you just rig that shit up foamy broth and all and shoot it with a turkey blaster krokodilstyle!

thia process as described is incomplete as hell, because, unlike ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH, no aromatic rings), you cannot get morphine ( C17H19NO3, multi-ringed molecule) from sugar alone (C12H22O11, no MF Nitrogen!). Sounds promising, especially a yeast/bacteria that could convert useless thebaine and other alkaloids into more useful morphine/-morphones.

Eh...And the farmers who make enough to live on only because it's poppy's they grow and not some local crop? What affect would it have on prices, purity, etc...? Assuming this would work anyways. The lady is a schmuck if she thinks a nation full of moonshine stills and meth labs won't be into that too regardless of the law. What law would it be, possession of ____ yeast? Anyone can get a homebrew kit with yeast and sugar. If it won't ever be easy to get a decent yield with a homebrew kit, what kind of super-factory will they need to supply America and parts of the world? That might also be b.s. public relations so they don't get stopped. Anyways, I'm not sure for what purposes painkillers would need to be "tweaked". First food, now GMN's (genetically modified narcotics). Do they get to patent the yeast? If so, it's likely all the Big Pharma's are gonna media blitz them.

think I will stick to my lovely flowering poppy garden bed, looks beautiful this time of year..

"An additional concern is that once the knowledge of how to create an opiate-producing strain is out there, anyone trained in basic molecular biology could theoretically build it," Dueber said.

theoretically is a very important word here. already we can "theoretically" make THC in yeast cells too. or meth precursors, whatever. the issue is that genetically modifying yeasts is way way more difficult for the average joe to do than anything to do with plants and the yields are always eclipsed by the usage of the plants that the source drugs are isolated from. nobody really cares if you can make 5-10mg/L THC in a fermenter if you can grow 15-25% W/W THC in prime quality buds.

also the paper doesn't even describe a total synthesis, it's all just on paper at this stage.

stick to poppy farming i guess

theoretically is a very important word here. already we can "theoretically" make THC in yeast cells too. or meth precursors, whatever. the issue is that genetically modifying yeasts is way way more difficult for the average joe to do than anything to do with plants and the yields are always eclipsed by the usage of the plants that the source drugs are isolated from. nobody really cares if you can make 5-10mg/L THC in a fermenter if you can grow 15-25% W/W THC in prime quality buds.

also the paper doesn't even describe a total synthesis, it's all just on paper at this stage.

stick to poppy farming i guess

Yeah the lack of detail is staggering. Besides, the title is sensational: heroin isnt coming from this synth, it's morphine, and it happens naturally in poppy plants anyway. Last time I checked there was only one route from morphine to heroin, so unless you have another strain of bacteria that can convert household vinegar into acetic anhydride, you're out of luck.

The idea of shake and bake H from some poppies and rather mundane chemicals is the idea of dreams, or nightmares, depending on your perspective...

Was going for the Brown Shugga, but ended up w/ some shite that tasted of Newcastle "Brown"
because the GMO corn syrup and caramel color, in place of malted...

Edit: whoops wrong thread

I think you should all try Krokodil they all use it in europe

I suppose so if you want to rot from the inside out within a year or less. By the time it gets to the skin all the tissue and bone in that part of the body is completely rotted off.

Just google pictures of krokodil users before and after and tell me that shit is a good idea. There is one pic of dude holding his finger he just broke off, peoples are rotted a couple inches in all down their track marks, literally huge chunks of flesh/bone gone, and gangrenous/nercrosis off the flesh where it is straight rotting off nastier than The Walking Dead television program.

I really think Krokodil is a death sentence and if someone sold me that as something else that I would probably kill them.

I did read an article in the paper about the topic and it sure looks interesting. I bet a whole new breed of pharms will be coming out in 5 years or so.

I also think people might try this on their own and only God knows what is going to happen. I do wonder if this yeast could be brewed into some sort of beer or spirit that is tasty and opiated as fuck. It would be cool to see on the store shelves if it was like codeine level strength.

Who knows we might see a whole new type of heroin too from this. It is an interesting discovery. It may end up with people fucking around with poppy plants and yeast if it gets out. I am sure there are plenty of people out there who know what to do with the precursor.

It could also end up as the next new RC which is kinda scary but probably will be very tempting to some people. You can't stop science I suppose whether it is used for good or bad but I would bet whoever invented this will make some money.

I would probably buy stock in a company that was researching this as there is nothing that sells like pharmas and well if Perdue or Endo get in on this I would probably think it would be a stock sure to go up quick. If Perdue gets it I would think they would win as they seem to be in cahoots with the US government as they have had a patent on Oxycontin for a very unusually long time.

Last edited: