• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Anyone here in the UK gets prescribed benzodiazepines?

luthien

Greenlighter
For anxiety that is.

I have severe social anxiety, bipolar and borderline personality disorder, and I'm only prescribed an antipsychotic (risperidone) and an SSRI antidepressant (sertraline).

The doctors seem set on not prescribing me the one thing that is meant for anxiety/social anxiety. Just wondering if it's the same for others in the UK.

Have you looked into research chemical benzos? The UK leads the world in them, so you could have all the benzos you want -- all 100% legally -- by Tuesday.

I live in the UK and have been through the rigmarole of trying to be prescribed benzodiazepines. I've had them prescribed in the past, but never long term.

Only in certain cases will they prescribe benzos long term and these days that's getting very rare. The most they will prescribe them is up to four weeks due to potential addiction/withdrawal. In most cases they will only prescribe them for a fortnight, if that. Most GP/Psychs see little point in prescribing a benzodiazepine to someone with long term anxiety and GPs feel very uncomfortable prescribing benzodiazepines without previous advise from a Psychiatrist full stop. It may give temporary rest bite, but it does little in rectifying the situation in the long term. Hence why they prescribe more long term medication with little withdrawal/abuse potential.

Most of times they will prescribe benzodiazepines, is in a mental health crisis kind of situations, where you would be bordering between needing to be admitted to a Psychiatric unit or not and are in severe discomfort. For severe cases of sleep disturbances/insomnia, where z drugs haven't really worked. An for certain situations in the very short term for people who suffer anxiety. ie. dental appointments, flying.... an episode of severe panic attacks etc...things like that. An you would have to show a certain level of distress for them to deem it for to do so.

Originally yes, benzodiazepines were prescribed for anxiety and they were prescribed freely. Though benzodiazepine withdrawal is on par with opiate withdrawal and can get pretty nasty. Plus over time they lose there effectiveness. So essentially you end up taking a drug which is damaging your system, you're addicted too and will cause nasty withdrawals when ceased and no longer works.

So really, no, even though beznodiazepines may of originally been prescribed long term, it's no longer the case in the UK at least and you'd be lucky if they did.

Like getting blood from a stone.

Back in 2006 I was prescribed zopiclone for a year. I took 7.5mg each day for sleep, I loved them. Then I withdrew because I was upping the dose.

Nowadays my gp won't prescribe any sleeping tablets. I got a seven day supply of zopicone in 2013. I got a a pack of 10 x 5mg diazepam in 2014. But they're quite happy to throw shit loads of Lyrica at me...a drug that, after taking for six months and am currently withdrawing from, is a helluvva lot more destructive than any mild sleeping tablet.

Whenever I discuss sleep or anxiety with my GP I get the old 'sleep hygiene' spiel. Or I get offered a sedating anti-depressant. Same goes for anxiety. The reason I buy research chemicals is because I have to manage my own sleep problems and anxiety these days.

I think you're far more likely to get prescribed anti-depressants to deal with anxiety than you would benzos here in the UK. Unless it was for a one off like a dental appointment / fear of flying etc.

I've only ever had them prescribed to get tapered off a non scripted habit.

KarlJS said:
Have you looked into research chemical benzos? The UK leads the world in them, so you could have all the benzos you want -- all 100% legally -- by Tuesday.

That's a really easy way to end up with a massive benzo habit though...tread with caution if going down this route.