• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Advice on choosing Valium or Xanax

no shit haha
i mentioned valium to my doc and she flipped out... like chill lady i was just asking
guess you gotta have some serious issues going on to get a script for valium here

You know that's really strange he want give you klnopin, but will give you Valium and Xanax which most people's favorites. IMO, klonopin sounds like it would work really well for you, don't even bother with Ativan, IMO. Klonopin is the same strenght mg for mg as xanax, and has a longer half life (18-50 hours I think...don't know why the numbers are such a gap, must be how people metabolize it.) BUT, I would go with xanax, I mean they both have drawbacks for you. But I get all the side effects of Valium you mentioned, I get deppressed on it after a few days, I feel really just blah zombie like too. I couldn't exercise on Valium though, Xanax I could, it kinda gives me energy, but valium is the complete opposite.

Valium I couldn't exercise on unless I drank a lot of green tea beforehand, but then I could go for hours, literally (probably because of the strong muscle relaxant effects) but it also gave me ED for the most part...In Ireland benzos are very hard to get scripted and clonazepam is mostly just used for seizures etc

OP bear in mind 4mg's alpraz is equipotent to 80mg's diazepam...

I always see this on equivelancy tables, but find that when Diazepam builds in the system after 2 weeks or so that 10mg feels more or less like 1mg xanax to me, maybe .75mg

They say Xanax is more addictive then Valium, I've taken both with no issue.

The thing is, I look at a dose of Xanax, like a shot of vodka. Quick relief, short duration, then it is done.

Valium, seems like drinking beers throughout the day. Long lasting, lingers to the next day.

Personally, I like the fact that I take the Xanax, it is eliminated soon after, I wipe my hands clean. Valium, I've never had an issue with it, but just knowing how long it lingers, I feel like that alone, lends to my belief it would aid to being more of a habit forming substance, but the opposite is usually expressed. Even if it is less addictive, I just don't like the idea of unneeded benzo lurking about in my system.

I've been taking benzos daily for almost 3 years or so so I'd prefer to have something in my system at all times...Xanax leaves my system and I'm in huge panic mode

Valium would be my vote for long-term maintenance. The inter-dose withdrawal of Xanax only gets worse with time and defeats the purpose of the drug. Don't get me wrong. When it works, it works really, really well.

That's been my experience with it...I have a real love/hate relationship with it. Ideally I'd rather be on valium because it never seems to stop working, but it causes me to become depressed, whereas I don't get depressed on xanax

I've been taking benzos daily for almost 3 years or so so I'd prefer to have something in my system at all times...Xanax leaves my system and I'm in huge panic mode

But see, that is exactly what I don't want, I like life without substance in my system. I really value a clean slate and the idea of benzo lingering kinda hinders that.

Last edited:
Valium is a longer acting benzo -- xanax is one of the shortest acting. for GAD xanax is not usually prescribed -- it's best for panic attacks/"breakthrough" anxiety, if you will. It sounds like because your anxiety is somewhat constant, a longer acting would make you feel better in the long run. BTW - Ativan is useless -- don't bother with that. I'm prescribed the 1 mg Xanax as needed but only take it on occasion...I don't really have constant anxiety so it works for me.

I actually like Ativan...there was a time when that was my favorite benzodiazepine. It's a class of drug that's pretty subjective, really. For example I've never really been too big on Xanax but that's without a doubt the most popular benzodiazepine on the market in the USA.

Valium is a longer acting benzo -- xanax is one of the shortest acting. for GAD xanax is not usually prescribed -- it's best for panic attacks/"breakthrough" anxiety, if you will. It sounds like because your anxiety is somewhat constant, a longer acting would make you feel better in the long run. BTW - Ativan is useless -- don't bother with that. I'm prescribed the 1 mg Xanax as needed but only take it on occasion...I don't really have constant anxiety so it works for me.

Ideally I'd rather be on Valium...The strange thing is xanax almost works as an antidepressant for me whereas valium makes me depressed

If you have no other option, maybe have a look at the RC benzos.

Prozac made you hallucinate? Now that's one hell of a strange reaction...

If you have no other option, maybe have a look at the RC benzos.

Prozac made you hallucinate? Now that's one hell of a strange reaction...

RC benzos?

Yeah it was pretty instense, considering I was also on a massive dose of Valium due to the anxiety caused by it (prob around 100mg)