• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxy and Prozac.. Am I just hungover?

whattheheck13

Greenlighter
I took like 80mg of oxy for the first time in a few months last night. I am on 20 mg prozac, and I just want to know if there is any chance of like seratonin syndrome, or what I should expect to happen. Do I just have an opiate hangover? I feel like weird mentally kind of.

Do you take them together or hours apart?

fluoxetine (prozac) will increase the level or effect of oxycodone by altering drug metabolism and causing serotonin syndrome.

The hangover could just be caused by the fact you haven't taken oxy in a while.

Do you take them together or hours apart?

fluoxetine (prozac) will increase the level or effect of oxycodone by altering drug metabolism and causing serotonin syndrome.

The hangover could just be caused by the fact you haven't taken oxy in a while.

Where did you get this information??

I don't think this is true at all but I could be wrong.

I've taken prozac and Oxy together a whole bunch of times with no negative effects.

I have never heard that Oxy has any effect on Serotonin at all and I don't think that it does, or if so not enough to cause serotonin syndrome.

I'm going to need to see evidence to believe that.

These days on this forum there's a trend for people to say that combining nearly ANYTHING with an SSRI is going to cause SS and I don't think it's true.

If it was I believe doctors would have hesitated to prescribe me oxy after surgeries knowing I was on Prozac but they didn't.

Well, I think it depends when a doctor prescribes something on if the benifits outweight the risks.

I found that info on a drugs interaction website.

I was taking tamadol while on prozac once and I had to monitored carefully for fits/SS.

Well, I think it depends when a doctor prescribes something on if the benifits outweight the risks.

I found that info on a drugs interaction website.

I was taking tamadol while on prozac once and I had to monitored carefully for fits/SS.

Ok I just checked and drugs.com lists them as having a MODERATE interaction but then again that site lists almost every drug as having at least a moderate interaction with SSRIs including weed, aspirin, alcohol and albuterol, all things I've combined with mine countless times.

I personally do not think most of those moderate interactions seem worrisome enough that I'd avoid most of them.

It seems like the MAJOR interactions that usually cause the issues.

Where did you get this information??

I don't think this is true at all but I could be wrong.

I've taken prozac and Oxy together a whole bunch of times with no negative effects.

I have never heard that Oxy has any effect on Serotonin at all and I don't think that it does, or if so not enough to cause serotonin syndrome.

I'm going to need to see evidence to believe that.

These days on this forum there's a trend for people to say that combining nearly ANYTHING with an SSRI is going to cause SS and I don't think it's true.

If it was I believe doctors would have hesitated to prescribe me oxy after surgeries knowing I was on Prozac but they didn't.
Don't for a second rely solely on doctors to recognize every drug interaction, you would be surprised how many doctors are ill informed or flat out poorly knowledgeable about some of the drugs they prescribe. Also, it's very important to realize that just because you have gotten away with something in the past, that does not make it safe. People have gotten away with taking DXM on SSRI's even though this combo is notorious for causing SS. My mother used to take care of an elderly woman who was prescribed tramadol, an SSRI, and focalin which is a recipe for disaster, along with a cocktail of other drugs. Aside from that you also get pharmaceutical lobbyists going to doctors offices lying about the drugs they're selling.

Prime examples of this are how tramadol was (and still is) believed to cause no withdrawal and is non-addictive (untrue), gabapentin is non-addictive with no withdrawal syndrome (untrue), and SSRI's carrying no withdrawal syndrome (untrue, which they later retracted after many complaints and said that SSRI's cause a "discontinuation syndrome", a fancy name for withdrawal :\). You can find many cases online of people being taken off medications like gabapentin and being told all of their symptoms are in their head by doctors who have been lead to believe these drugs are harmless, and refuse to do a simple google search. Always do your own research... nobody knows everything, not even doctors.
------------------------

OT I found three cases of serotonin syndrome from the combo, all involved oxycodone and an SSRI... I'd imagine it's a very rare occurance but apparently is has been documented and does happen sometimes. Certain (if not all) SSRI's are strong CYP2D6 inhibitors and this is the primary enzyme responsible for metabolizing opioids, when taken together they can increase each others effects. Outside of these cases I've never heard of any issues with the combo so I found this pretty interesting.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crionm/2012/261787/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16368927?dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11210406?dopt=Abstract

There's also this thread, which links these studies above as well as some others but most of the other studies linked are totally irrelevant to oxycodone as they describe interactions between SSRI's and opioids with wonky SSRI or SNRI activity like tramadol and demerol, and even MAOI's and these "dirty" opioids... why Bliz0r tried to argue those were relevant to interactions between SSRI's and traditional mu agonist opioids like morphine or oxy flies over my head, though I will admit that other BL'er was being a misinformed prick about everything.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/243956-Oxycodone-Oxycontin-and-SSRI-s-leads-to-sratonin-syndrome

Last edited:
^^^^

Good info.

That's true, I wouldn't necessarily take just any doctor's advice simply because he has an MD.

With things like SSRIs it seems like there is a HUGE grey area in terms of things that "CAN" cause negative interactions, but do not usually, vs things which are VERY likely to cause a bad reaction.

Since I've been on them most of my life at this point I think I've probably had to throw caution to the wind a few times if I wanted to experiment AT ALL, (and I'm sure I will again) and I will still constantly learn about new "interactions".

For example, one month ago I first learned that SSRIs can interact with Dexedrine, yet I've been mixing the two for about 15 years with no problems, and today was the first I'd heard of interactions with Oxycodone, albuterol, and even weed....all things I've used many times....especially albuterol which has been prescribed to me since I was 5, and weed...well..I'm not sure how much I buy that too many things have truly "harmful" interactions with it...

I guess if you are on an SSRI you probably have to assume it's "possible" it could interact with almost anything and make your choices wisely.

I'd NEVER suggest anyone mix things just because I would...and I'd also Never touch anything listed on the MAJOR interactions list with an SSRI on Drugs.com, but the moderate/mild interactions list with an SSRI on there could potentially include anything so pick you poisons I guess...

You only take 80mg every few months? Sounds like low tolerance, resulting in the bad head. Careful with such high doses.