MAPS Psychological Basis For DMT Perceptual Archetypes

The shared imagination.

When your culture teaches you that a cat is a cat, you're all seeing the cat in the same way. If it teaches you that a cat is a neko, you'll see it in somewhat of a different way. Now apply that to every single word and concept you've ever encountered. Now take DMT. Is it any wonder so many people end up meeting aliens and angels?

You should ask Rick Strassman (rickstrassman[at]earthlink.net). I can't answer your question other than express I think these phenomenon have verifiable neurochemical origins and are simply hallucinations. They are visual representations of the inner workings of your consciousness. Obviously set and setting influence your consciousness and resultantly your hallucinations.

In other words
Stanislav Grof said:
it does not seem to be an exaggeration to say that psychedelics, used responsibly and with proper caution, would be for psychiatry what the microscope is for biology and medicine or the telescope is for astronomy.

You should also find a copy of "Hallucinations" by Oliver Sacks. He writes about the neurological underpinnings of all sorts of hallucinatory experiences, including psychedelics like DMT. Some really interesting stuff in there, and really easy to understand even without any background in medicine.

The forest gnomes. Why do people taking DMT keep reporting forest gnomes? I want to see one.