Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

⫸STICKY⫷ Growing this forum- Suggestions for Improving P&S

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Hi all,

We were wanting to create a stickied thread for any who desire to weigh in regarding how they wish to see this forum move forward. I think its a nice and unique little part of Bluelight that could nevertheless benefit from some kind of "refreshing". This is a relatively quiet sub-forum which would gain from expanding. I think the association between drugs and spirituality/philosophy is age old, almost symbiotic. If drugs can inspire intellectual curiousity which may lead to critical thinking and enhance decision making, then I think we see a decrease in the negative effects of drugs on a user's life. So this forum can play a role in Bluelight's overarching harm-reduction philosophy.

Personally, I have some ideas. But I would rather ask the users what idea's they may have. After all, the whole point of this forum is for all of us to come together and argue endlessly fruitfully discuss matters important to US, so we all have a stake in this. So I'm hoping you bright folks can have a think and offer us suggestions/feedback/complaints/idea's regarding what sort of things we could do to make this place better. :)

I have some questions too which could be useful to reflect upon:
  1. Do we need to try and reign in threads that become large sprawling arguments?
  2. Do you feel that the rules and the staff do enough to protect user's who DO NOT wish to debate or argue?
  3. Further to that, is it reasonable for users to expect such protection from heated arguments?
  4. What sort of topics or concepts would you like to see here?
  5. Do you think that topics need more "guidance" or less?

Please use this thread to offer anything you wish to. Given the nature of this topic, I will ask that we refrain from actually arguing here. To that end, anything which is really obviously topic will get deleted or moved. Please do not use this thread to discuss personal grievances one may have with another; this is just so we can have a productive conversation on a specified theme. I'm not going to be some nazi-cunt, but let's be good. :)

Obviously though, not all idea's will be implemented but I promise you that all idea's will be listened to. :)

Last edited:
Great idea. :) I'll just say a few things in answer to your questions.

I think that in a totally opinion/discussion based forum like this, that it is inevitable and fine that threads will meander about and arguments will ensue. So I don't think a lot needs to be done to curb that. That being said, there have been some threads recently that became heated to the point that beneficial discussion ceased for a while. But then again, it continues to come back around to something thought-provoking (I'm thinking of the vegan/vegetarian thread). I have seen some threads eventually get closed that didn't resolve themselves so it seems like that's already being done. It can be intense to post here sometimes, but it's kind of part of it. There are some members I wish wouldn't be so prickly or provoking though. We're all different personalities so there will be clashes, but perhaps if people are repeatedly demonstrating that they are only trying to provoke, we should start hiding those posts and infracting. But that is being done as well. I don't know, it's a fine line, I'd have a hard time determining whether to take action or not in most cases if I was a mod of this forum. I think that sometimes providing a little more guidance when threads go off the rails could be helpful.

1) I think when threads get derailed into personal fights between two people they usually just die their own deaths--everyone else gets bored and stops reading. This is too bad when the topic is interesting. So, yes, that was my long-winded way of saying there should be a sharp tug on the reins when that happens.;)

2) I think the mods here are some of the most even-handed and fair mods around, so yes, you do enough.

3) Abuse is pretty obvious (name-calling, personal put-downs) and I do feel that we rely on the mods of each forum to protect us from that. But beyond abuse is it reasonable to expect that your passionately held opinion will not upset someone else who holds a different one, thus creating 'heat'? Probably not and its a very good way to practice your grown-up skills by not expecting rescue. The irony of people trying to discuss issues of spirituality and getting really, really angry has always struck me as rich.

4) I like the nature of the forum. I like that there is room for everyone's take on what spirituality means.

5) I don't think that the topics need more guidance but I always appreciate comments from you, ebola? and mdao when you do comment on the topic itself. <3

Thanks for the replies you two :) Much appreciated.

I'll refrain from saying more. I wish some of the other guys/girls that post here would weigh in; all in good time.

<3

EDIT: I unstickied this thread because I suspect stickied threads are invisible threads. Maybe.

1. Ad hominem attacks ("you're an idiot" etc.) should not be tolerated. Same for explicit insults. Everything else should be allowed. Arguments are very important, imo.

2. If someone doesn't want to have a debate and just wants to post their opinion, they can do that, but other posters should be allowed to argue with them. They don't have to reply.

3. Users should only expect protection from personal attacks. It would be silly to expect protection from arguments and constructive criticism.

Just my opinion :)

Last edited:
Well you sure have gotten some some feedback from staff & sr staff.

I think certain sorts of belief based threads ought to be left a bit free of hard skepticism.

There ought to be some places where one's thoughts, prayer, meditation, herbs, or loving pets made a difference in their cancer and they don't have to face a barrage of requests for proof and don't get referred to Cochrane monographs. I think a personal philosophical manifesto ought sometimes be dealt with gently rather than with hard skepticism. In 2008, say. I think that was at least a part of what P&S was about.

I do think some portions of P&S should have a debate format. Its a hard forum as far as drawing boundaries and applying rules.

^Thanks for the post :)

I'm not sure that P&S needs to be the place for individual musings- I think the blog section could serve that purpose; but if you want to have a thread with specific stipulations, you can start such a thing. I just feel like this is a place for discussion, and that is often more interesting if people are willing to put themselves out there for criticism. There are, of course, ways of delivering criticism that are appropriate and others that aren't, but in many ways, that should be a given for adults.

I agree, P&S was more mellow and hippieish in earlier years way back when it was Thought & Awareness. Bluelight itslef has expanded somewhat, hence the change (perhaps)...

Oh, I agree. Some things ought be blog material.

I'll give an example of what my issue is with a topic I have little interest in and would be ready to lampoon. Numerology.

If someone starts a numerology thread and has numerology participants, than my jumping in to give every scientific and philosophical critique of numerology is kind of disruptive. Similar thing about chakras, astrology, channeling, etc If a thread holds the interest of a few it need not get the whole justify that scientifically thing that I saw happen in P&S on occasion, in my previous tour.

In essence some P&S threads require you entertain the premise or not bother. I don't known if you know what I mean.

If a thread holds the interest of a few it need not get the whole justify that scientifically thing that I saw happen in P&S on occasion, in my previous tour.

In essence some P&S threads require you entertain the premise or not bother. I don't known if you know what I mean.

I do understand you. Some threads aren't really put up with the the idea of opening a vast semantic debate, some threads require the contribution of adherents or not at all.

I suppose this is largely up to the sensitivities of our contributors here. Hopefully we are all incisive enough to see what sort of interaction is appropriate.

I wish a lot of regulars would stop confusing the discussion of dogma and the peculiar problems of large religious institutions with spirituality.

^I see your point, and am certainly guilty of it. I'd wanted the focus of this thread to not so much be about finding ways to modify individual behaviours, but is more related to 'systemic' improvements that could be made. That said, I think you've got a point and I'll personally try to modify my behaviour. I don't think the moderators can control such behaviour in anyone except themselves, and its certainly not against the rules to criticise religious institutions and adherents. Criticism does not need to be mean-spirited though. Its unavoidable that discussion of spirituality will lead to discussion of institutions because that is one of the most visible manifestation of spirituality on earth.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

I think a little variety would be more stimulating is all.

I could quote something I recall Alasdairm repeating often ;)

FWIW, I'd love to see some more diverse topics in here too. Its a pretty broad theme we've got here, philosophy and spirituality.

^Yeah. But I was just jesting and being facetious :) <3

Debate is a foundational principle of philosophy, let it happen. Expect it. Spirituality is a personal view, everybody's perspective is guaranteed to be unique so there will always be debates there too, but it is great when we find resonances, agreement, and oneness within it. I think that answers questions 1-3.

Question 4, I want to see anything that dares to connect things that haven't before been connected. Essentially, I love to see radical propositions, ideas that makes me think on a deep level or take an unwalked path. Presented collectively, we can work it out through debate and pretty quickly decide if it is a path to pursue further.
As for question 5, my answer is the old notion that an ideal government appears to not exist at all.

There are some radical propositions made in here, to be sure. Hey vortech! You maybe going to start posting here/posting more often? I'd enjoy that. :)

I did a search for Discordianism and was surprised to see the word only mentioned once. I don't believe there is a thread regarding it.

I know very little about discordianism myself other than a few quotes and The Illuminatus! Trilogy. I imagined people here might be interested in it.

P&S is going uphill imo..

Last edited:
^Thanks for the input, and its good to hear you think its going uphill. I really don't know who this member is and I don't think you needed to even mention that, tbh. But if you see things that are problematic, use the report button and we can have a look into it.

Regarding your interest in discordiansim- start a topic! See what the community knows (or doesn't know) I know very fnord little in truth but would like to learn :)

Wasn't problematic it just turned into more of a theology subforum...apologies

Regarding your interest in discordiansim- start a topic!

Maybe I will once I read more about it.

Hope you have a good day!