• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

⫸STICKY⫷ Growing this forum- Suggestions for Improving P&S

I've gotten a bit attatched to BL. Looks like I'm staying.

I have nearly 1000 posts and only joined in February.

It's the best place I've found to hang if you're a suicidal addict. Just one big happy family.

^You do describe a relatively unique niche market cosmic trigger :D

Think that was Ali's goal circa 2001. Corner the internet market on addicts who what to off themselves.

How about a sticky thread for posting new thread titles, where we wouldn't discuss the topics there but it mght inspire others (I need more ideas) to be more original with topics and quit beating a dead horse, (for instance, we have argued religion to the point that it feels repetitive) hopefully. :D

To have better and more varied discussion it would help to have a larger volume of posters. This place is really pretty slow. I posted at the Shroomery for over 10 years and things are really hopping over in their P&S. It can be hard to keep up at times. Even there however the same topics get worked over pretty well in time. Eventually it all gets sort of boring. I have found that most philosophizing is much like masturbation. It's a substitute for something real and vital. I pop over here when I'm waiting for something to happen in the other forums where my interests really lie.

There are few posters in P&S, but they are generally fairly active, so if there is an interesting topic at hand, then the discussion can get quite heated. The only problem is that even with active posters, few posters means few different opinions or angles on the topic.

Nixiam's idea is neat if I understand it correctly. I think it would be worth trying out.

Yeeeep, and hopefull people who are reluctant to make a thread can post their thread title. Easy and simple, which may or may not attract more people to P&S. Not saying it isn't good, but the community is small compared to other subforums *cough* SL&R *cough*. Scuse me.

The air just gets a tad stiff.

I wish people would just post topics. I get the reluctance tho.

I tend to read other subforums on bluelight more, but find the really interesting discussions in here more noteworthy. They usually tie in to whatever bullshit I've been thinking about.

I think certain people get unintentionally but perhaps inevitably driven away. Which is a reason why there are so few posters. Particularly of the 'believers'. I guess I don't blame them at times.

You are all very polite. Too polite, maybe?
The comments in this thread, they feel a bit repressed.
Like people want to speak, but they can't for some reason?

I think the problem with philosophers is they think too much. :)

I wouldn't say people in this subforum hold back from saying what they think. There are a lot of differing opinions, and some start very heated conversations. I personally find myself posting unpopular opinions quite often and get quite a lot of serious responses, and so do other posters. Politeness is another thing, though. Discussion has to be civil and personal attacks will not be tolerated as they add nothing to the conversation other than make other people behave in the same way as well, which can sometimes damage a good thread.

I mean, though, things that are perceived as attacks.
But, this is not the right word. People are... a bit delicate.
I feel like I have to tip-toe around, a bit.

Some of the discussions are a bit British, for my palate.
There is functional politeness. Of course.
But, it gets taken too far in some cultures.

People say what they think, I guess, but they do it in this roundabout British way.
For me, I couldn't give a shit anybody has to say to me. I don't want to hide from it.
This just enables weakness long-term. People should toughen up, a bit. (I think.)

Philosophical discourse should be based on arguments using sound logic. They are not supposed to use emotional appeals, or overly vulgar language to get the point across. I may call you a fuckwad for saying what you're saying right now because I disagree with you, but does that really lend any more credibility to my argument? I'm not against using profane/vulgar language to spice up the argument itself, but the argument should be logically sound and not be fallacious. Sadly, using profane language frequently is a means of personal attacks, and that is unacceptable.

If you're trying to say that people are not voicing their honest opinions on here, then you're very wrong. Read some of the threads, and you'll see very heated debate between people having very different opinions. Resorting to personal attacks using foul language is detrimental.

I don't think anybody really holds back here. Discussions can get very, very heated without getting personal.

When I first joined a few months back, I saw that immediately. Thrown right in the middle of some intense arguments, but all turns out alright.

This particular thread is not a debate or argument thread so such would have been inappropriate. That is why this thread is polite- its a discussion not a debate.

The sub forum in general gets heated, often. Perhaps you need to better acquaint yourself with it? At the end of the day, I find internet debates really tedious when too heated. No one ever really backs down, what's the point? For me, I'm pleased with the way people interact here... But, if you have something to post or get heated about: imo, go for it. :) if its respectful, what's the harm?

Okay, I will say my mind then.

It would be nice if there was place I felt comfortable talking about religion.
Place where a religious discussion can exist, without such negative atheistic input.
There are people who have issue with religion. But, there are also religious people.

In everyday life, I don't reveal religious status to people.
Because, the reactions are so predictable and tedious.
There is not a lot of respect.

I don't care what people think, I'd rather just avoid arguments. So, yeah, I don't discuss religion with non-religious people.
If I meet someone who is genuinely open-minded, not pretend agnostic, then sometimes there are great discussions.

From reading on here, I see this.
There is no space for religion.

Surely not because you read it in a book written by peasants some 2000 years ago who thought the Earth was flat?

This is perfect example.
In a thread about atheism, yes.
But the wording is so unnecessary.
I encounter it all the time. Everywhere.

This forum does not accommodate religious discussion.
It is like a school-yard.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/798746-I-thank-all-the-imaginary-gods-for-Jihadists

Lol?

Last edited:
The forum accommodates religious and spiritual discussion, but if your ideas are demonstrably unfounded/wrong, then expect criticism. That is how a forum of free speech/ideas works. You can propose anything you like, but if your proposition is stupid, then expect to get criticism. If you can't handle criticism, then perhaps writing a blog may be more suitable.