• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Combining adderall and ritalin?

the point is that no living thing, no cell is actually dying, but i get what what you mean.

Adderall (amphetamine like stimulant) and MPH / Ritalin (cocaine like stimulant) don't mix particularly well. They don't cancel each other out exactly, but it's really much better to save one of them for later; otherwise, it's kind of a waste. Certainly not synergistic ( 2 + 2 > 4).

I've been prescribed both over the years and I have found that mixing them can be unpleasant. Every time I have the combination has made my anxiety skyrocket friends of mine have said the same. I suggest sticking to one or the other.

Adderall (which is merely good 'ole amphetamine) is a powerful dopamine releasing agent. Ritalin is a re-uptake inhibitor. Personally speaking, Ritalin has almost no effect on me, as I suffer from 'dopamine depression', i.e., a natural lack of the stuff - so if there's not enough there to start with, there's bugger all to prevent being 'reuptaken'. Amphetamine however works very well, and of course, with bearable amounts of dopamine in my damaged brain, it is worth taking Ritalin so they don't get reuptaken.... so they work well together for me. I am however rather unusual - and am getting mightily sick and tirred of trying to explain this to stupid members of the medical profession!

Adderall (which is merely good 'ole amphetamine) is a powerful dopamine releasing agent. Ritalin is a re-uptake inhibitor. Personally speaking, Ritalin has almost no effect on me, as I suffer from 'dopamine depression', i.e., a natural lack of the stuff - so if there's not enough there to start with, there's bugger all to prevent being 'reuptaken'. Amphetamine however works very well, and of course, with bearable amounts of dopamine in my damaged brain, it is worth taking Ritalin so they don't get reuptaken.... so they work well together for me. I am however rather unusual - and am getting mightily sick and tirred of trying to explain this to stupid members of the medical profession!

They're probably confused because both reuptake inhibitors and releasing agents require the presence of dopamine in your brain, so if you were truly lacking the neurotransmitter you wouldn't respond to either.

I actually registered so I could add to this thread.

I an prescribed Ritalin ( Methylphendrate ) 20mg 3X a day. It works, but I always run out early because I take more than the 3 a day.... yes I sniff them. Orally just doesn't cut it. Maybe it's just in my head (read on)

My friend who introduced me to it years ago also took Adderall. Some days he had the Rit, some days he had the Adderall. Well, when he had both, we would mix in different combos. One day we hit the Magic Mix, or the "Combo Combo" as we called it..

The issues I have with one OR the other is this...

The Rit would rev me up, but I would eventually feel like when I popped the clutch, My motor just kept revving with no traction .. Plenty of motivation, but when I would start my "to do" list... Not much would get done. But in the planning stage.. Had a BIG to do list. Come morning, I would get mad because I ran out of time and didn't finish what I wanted. Usually because I would focus one one thing, allow myself to get sidetracked and ended up working on something other than what I wanted and usual focused on one stupid meaningless detail for hours. Funny thing is I would be telling myself, "you're doing it again" I would actual answer and tell myself "I don't care, it doesn't matter"... Then in am. Yell at myself for not listening to myself.... Hope that makes sense.

The adderall..., Wouldn't rev me up as much, so I didn't feel so motivated, but what ever "project or idea" I have to work on, I would focus so much, and move or think at a very slow but methodical rate that I may or may not finish it by morning, but I made slow and steady progress with every detail perfect and no morning anger. I was satisfies with my progress, but wished I had accomplished more.. So this time, My engine didn't rev as high, when I popped the clutch, plenty of traction, but made it to the finish line in last place... way after everyone else..

Sorry for the drag racing metaphor's , but the only way I can explain it.
So with different combo's, came different results. Then we hit the magic mix.
We had 20mg Adderall, Orange pills and 20 mg methylphenidratre pinkish. BTW the brand of the Methyl made a HUGE difference. CVS had a brand that was a white pill, very soft. I think it was MER and they called it Merkyphindrate.. Walgreens has the ones that we used. Pinkish, hard and very effective. They vary with suppliers, but pills never changes. Most recent MFG is ACTAVIS.

So, the end combo was 1/4 adderall 5mg with 1/2 Ritalin 10mg. I had the speed and "rev" of the ritalin, but the traction and focus I needed from the Adderall. Drag Racing terms.... Nitro engine, Full traction hole shot and usually smoked the competition. I found my self making a smaller but more comprehensive "to do" list, and got way more accomplished with excellent attention to details...

Problem is my doc wont let me combine them. He says one or the other....

My back story is I am a IT pro so I get into all computer stuff, write, mix and produce music and videos on the side. 3 kids and a naggy wife, my only alone/creative time is the overnight hours when they are ALL in bed. It's "Daddy Time" as they call it.

Hope this helps, makes sense and doesn't make me look like an OCD speed freak with multiple personality disorder,.... or does it?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Take care

Rezin8 %)

I noticed that Adolf Hitler was suffering from Parkinsons quite noticeably towards the end of his life, having been taking large amounts of meth for several years. Even so, seeing that Parkinsons is caused by a chronic lack of dopamine, and meth and other amphetamines boost its release, I can't help thinking that this might be the reason the two are connected? I myself suffer from achronic dopamine shortage, and suffer many of its symptoms, including depression - for which the only reliable 'cure' (or or ather, temporary relief from on a symtomatic basis) is amphetamine. I have begged to try levodopa and other dopamine agonists with no success.

I've often wondered that. But also, don't forget he was being injected with a combo of drugs which included cocaine, amphetamines, opiates, barbiturates, vitamins, testosterone etc.. So there are far too many factors to pinpoint what was the primary drug or lifestyle choice contributing to his quickly deteriorating health.

I've often wondered that. But also, don't forget he was being injected with a combo of drugs which included cocaine, amphetamines, opiates, barbiturates, vitamins, testosterone etc.. So there are far too many factors to pinpoint what was the primary drug or lifestyle choice contributing to his quickly deteriorating health.

The Hitler being on methamphetamine constant was proven wrong in a documentary (they had his personal dr. notes. He did take medicins and had taken meth.

From what I hear, ritalin stops the reuptake, while adderall causes more to be released. I've also heard adderall is neurotoxic in the long run while ritalin is not (you just build up tolerance).

http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-long-term-effects-of-Adderall-Dexedrine-or-Ritalin-use

Can anyone provide any more input on these 2 drugs? I'm using them currently as study drugs, but some weeks I end up using them often and am worried about lasting effect.

That nazi shit really distracted.

Paqbum as far as concerns go based on anecdotal info if your using normal dosages. Medical doses not recreational. I assume your just as save as I was when I was prescribed time released methylphenidate and instant dexamphetamine.
Only your not being dr. supervised. So yes, technically I think it's probably safer then trying to reach the same effect with one of them. Which seems futile as the two in reasonable prescribed dosages do seem to have an plus. You don't want the side effects of both drugs to get out of hand. This kinda solves it good synergie.

I was under the impression Ritalin blocks the reuptake of dopamine, nist like cocaine does with the exception of reaching the BBB faster. While Adderall releases serotonin..I always thought Ritalin was neurotoxic or perhaps carcinogenic? It's a dirty drug. IMO

Methylphenidate could be a releaser also, there is a theory around that. But the effects of amph and mph are different. And mph although annoying does have that extra kick amph just doesn't have. To bad, or maybe for the better, the side effects and duration make methylphenidate very impractical.

Hence combining them is not persee bad as at lower dosages stimulants aren't that pronounced. So there ain't too much to cancel out. Like I sad a dr prescribed it and it felt effective.

I was under the impression Ritalin blocks the reuptake of dopamine, nist like cocaine does with the exception of reaching the BBB faster. While Adderall releases serotonin..I always thought Ritalin was neurotoxic or perhaps carcinogenic? It's a dirty drug. IMO
Did you even read the bloody thread? While you are correct about methylphenidate's mechanism of action all your other assumptions are addressed in previous posts.

I myself suffer from achronic dopamine shortage, and suffer many of its symptoms, including depression - for which the only reliable 'cure' (or or ather, temporary relief from on a symtomatic basis) is amphetamine. I have begged to try levodopa and other dopamine agonists with no success.
I know it's a year late but levodopa makes up a large portion of mucuna pruriens extract, which is widely available.

I know it's a year late but levodopa makes up a large portion of mucuna pruriens extract, which is widely available.

The MAGIC Velvet Bean of Mucuna pruriens

. The ancient Indian medical system, Ayurveda, traditionally used M. pruriens, even to treat such things as Parkinson's disease. M. pruriens has been shown to have anti-parkinson and neuroprotective effects, which may be related to its anti-oxidant activity. In addition, anti-oxidant activity of M. pruriens has been also demonstrated in vitro by its ability to scavenge DPPH radicals and reactive oxygen species. In this review the medicinal properties of M. pruriens are summarized, taking in consideration the studies that have used the seeds extracts and the leaves extracts.