• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Which anticonvulsants will help prevent seizures on Tramadol?

Tentons01

Greenlighter
I'm having a tough time with my Tramadol lately. I'll try to explain everything first before I get to my question.

Normally I have a very high seizure threshold but I believe it has somehow lowered recently. Several times within the last month I have been having what I believe to be the beginning of a seizures but luckily I have not had a full one. When I take my normal dose of tramadol, which is 100mg 4x a day, I get these strange "attacks". My limbs start to get cold and somewhat numb, I slowly get tunnel vision, I get really anxious, and I get VERY close to passing out completely. It will happen for about 20 seconds, stop, then happen again a few more times until my tramadol wears off enough. Now they even start happening if I take more than 200mg in 24 hours or more than 50mg at a time. I'm confused about what these are but I believe it is related to tramadols affect on seizure threshold.

Now for my question. I have lowered my dose to a safe point to where I no longer have these feelings. I am going to my doctor soon to talk about it but until then I want to know what I can take as a preventative. The anticonvulsants I have are Tegretol and Gabapentin, but I know gabapentin doesn't do much for grand mal seizures. I'm hoping Tegretol will work but I found no information about it when it comes to tramadol.

What anticonvulsants work with tramadol? I know about benzos but I am more curious about the other ones such as Tegretol or even Phentytoin. Thanks guys in advance guys!

typically you want to use benzodiazepines. carbamazepine messes with the way tramadol is metabolized and has some side effects that will leave you feeling like a zombie. gabapentin is ineffective. perhaps you should revisit if tramadol is the right drug for you. also keep in mind that it could just as likely be serotonin syndrome.

homeless -> basic drug discussion

I have fibromyalgia and have been taking Tramadol since I was 11 (at first for migraines but then for fibro when I realized it helped and talked to my doctor, also I am 21 now). Unfortunately out of dozens of medications I have tried Tramadol is the best, aside from Nucynta. I did go through a period of drug abuse and took up to 1500mg of Tramadol a day and didn't have any of these effects or seizures. I know this was incredibly stupid and dangerous of me and I don't suggest anyone else EVER do it. If you are wondering why I stopped Nucynta it was because it gave me a very strong high and I did not want to relapse back into addiction so I asked my doctor to take me off. It puzzles me why this just now started to happen. No medications were added or changed that affect seizures, serotonin, or norepinephrine either.

I found out something very strange. Normally I take 100mg ER tramadol 4x a day but I took one of my 200mg ER pills because that's all I can handle in a day right now. Strange thing is that the 200mgs don't cause the same effects as the 100mgs. I tried it again and still nothing! I feel back to normal and I have no idea what is wrong with the other pills but I am happy. I plan on talking to my doctor about all of this but until then I keep some of my left over Lorazepam with me just to be safe.

Does anyone have any idea what is up with the 100mg version of the pills? They are generic but made by the same company.

You really do got to take quite a few tramadol to have a seizure.

My friend had one at 12 but mixed in alot of cocaine.

Obviously benzos work the best. I would go with one that works as an anticonvulsant if you are really taking high doses.

You can pull up your own benzo spreadsheet thanks to the www and see what is a good anticonvulsant but you really can't go wrong with klonopin or xanax.

Hmm, tramadol is a very weird drug; it feels different every time I take it.

However, I'd reiterate the advice of the other respondents and suggest using a benzodiazepine to counteract possible seizures.

Well don't do coke with it.

ODB died that way and someone I used to be close to almost did.

Xanax is supposedly a really crappy anticonvulsant and it's short acting, try to acquire a different benzo if any at all.

klonopin or gabapentin? gabapentin is real easy to get prescribed.

Gabapentin is a shitty anticonvulsant that offers no protection against grand mal seizures. Anything beyond partial seizures, don't expect gabapentin to save your hide.

I gor seizure from 4g gabapentin and 2000mg tramadol, it doesn not nothign for it, cloanzepam should help i think.