• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What would you do if you were in my situation? (Phenibut taper)

Joey24x18

Bluelighter
I've successfully tapered down to 1g of phenibut daily, from an 8 month habit of 2.5-3g daily. I did this with 50-100mg per day reductions. I'm feeling a bit of withdrawal at this point but Im under the impression that It's inevitable.

Well it turns out in exactly 10 days I have to make a trip with my father 3 states over to see family. It's weird how that popped up, considering I'd literally be leaving on the last day of my taper. I don't know if tapering is going to prevent the hellish 7 day withdrawal, and if it doesn't, I'm going to be stuck out of town surrounded by distant relatives, and withdrawaling. From phenibut of all things.

So I can either:

A) Remain at 1g daily for the next 13 days, and resume tapering once I'm back in town.

Or

B) Continue tapering, jump off phenibut, and immediately leave to go out of town to be around a bunch of relatives who I'm expected to act "normal" around.

If I pick B, I have xanax and klonopin I can bring along incase I go into full blown withdrawal. I'm not sure if that'd really help though. All I can say is I legitimately hate phenibut addiction, and I can't wait to be off this shit man. What do y'all think I should do?

I'd stabalize at 1g for now until then, and then continue tapering after. Maybe you can lower your dose by a little bit over the next 13 days, but without fully tapering off. Say lowering the dose 20mg every day. I can't imagine being in gaba withdrawal in front of family. I would be an anxious mess.

TL: ^^ as a former opioid addict (well really I still am but it's a bupe program) and a current decade long benzo "addict" who just started tapering with my drs help using the Aston Manual, and have done literally half a dozen to a dozen or more serious tapers and w/ds as yours is going to be, I agree with above 100% plus a little more:

Plus...

Stay at 1-g. It is legal to carry, no? Nobody but the OP need answer that and privately not here - it's legal territory but HR also as he has to travel. It doesn't sound optional & have something for this trip is very likely absolutely critical to not fucking up family relations. OP probably can't get proper treatment and all set up at this point in his life b/f the trip - he has little choice... Plus, what treatment would he get? Benzos to trade addictions?

Resume when you get back - resume! Only take exactly what you'll need with + maybe a day or two extra (1-2g) in case your trip gets unexpectedly extended.

I'd bring the benzos too if they're prescribed but not touch them if you can hold out. These trips are notorious for running junkies back into use and/or addiction. Not calling you that at all... I am a junkie who relapses every time he visits family in ROC, NY, even planning ahead by stopping my bupe two days b/f my trip so I can enjoy the good east coast powder that is all over that fucking town. Sucks, b/c I don't go often (for this reason and not wanting to fuck up family relations, again) and it's all the family I have (four people - that's my family), so for me it's not so much the stress as the availability of a type of heroin I can't get in five minutes off the street elsewhere. Sorry to get off topic, but it is all related to traveling and substance use with HR as the focus. And some story telling...

Last edited:
Yeah It's looking like Im going to have to put my taper on hold. I'm legitimately bummed out, I really want to be off this shit. I'm going to try the -20mg a day until then. I just don't want to taper too much and be all anxious when I'm around everybody.

I probably won't bring the benzos because they are definitely not prescribed. Lol. I've never actually had a benzos addiction. I just bought a bunch for phenibut withdrawal. I still haven't got a definite answer if using them for a week will mask or only prolong withdrawal though. So I don't even know if I'll ever end up taking them.

Can't say if it would prolong the w/ds, but I would ditch the benzos and just taper with Phen, you'll likely trade on addiction for the other, esp., with a short acting hard hitting RC benzo or xanax. You haven't had a benzo problem so... why catch one now?

Yeah, I contradicted my above post b/c of new info presented by OP.

Well the thing is, I only have 4 2mg xanax's and 5 2mg klonopin. And I have absolutely no way to get more when they're gone. I figured I'd use them just to get through phenibut withdrawal. I also have a pound of high quality Fijian kava for when I run out of benzos. Idk. I'm hoping just tapering does the trick. But like right now, I'm right at 24 hours since my last dose of phenibut, and I feel so fucking weird. Like my head is all fuzzy and shit. My palms are sweaty. I'm about to go take my 1g dose and 2 hours from now I'll feel fine for about 18 hours, then back to weird as fuck.

I'm not even sure if tapering is helping really. Phenibut is such a weird drug.