Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

am i having serotonin syndrome or what?

Tufi

Greenlighter
Am I having serotonin syndrome or what?

Hi. Im new here but i have been getting informed by topics here for a long time, about mdma, supplementations, everything about. And sorry for my english. I have been rolling last year quite like an overdose and i didnt know about 5htp or any related stuff, so i faced a really bad crash afterwards.

About two weeks ago me and my friend decided to roll again, and rolled about 9 times in two weeks, until 4 days ago. I dont remember the dosage but we rolled the night, the next morning and that evening in a row, with highs lasting about 3-4 hours. I postloaded with 5htp on previous rolls so it was kinda a preload for that last roll, without intention. And as for the last roll's postload, i took 200 grams of 5htp the day after the last roll, 200 the other day, 100 other day, 100 today, so its like

1st day and night-rolling
2nd day-100mg 5htp in the morning, 100mg at night
3rd day-same as the day before
4th day-100mg in the morning
Today-100mg at about 2pm.

I was feeling quite depressed until today and i had brain zaps at night, thats why i took 5htp at night, and it worked pretty well, slept wonderfully.

Today i was better, actually i was feeling quite normal until i met my friend and took 5htp again. I started to feel extremely irritable, i couldnt even stand anything, it was like i was burning with rage and felt like i couldn't live with this for a long time. Then it started to get smoother, then peak again, then smoother. Now i feel smooth but still i feel way worse than yesterday, i mean i feel worse than that depression. I thought my blood sugar was low so i ate too many things an hour ago, but it didn't cure those feelings. I'm concerned that i might have serotonin syndrome but it sounded weird after 5 days of rolling. My symptoms are: extreme irritability, anxiety, blurred vision(more like blurred perception), depersonalization-derealization, a slightly warm feeling in my chest and sweating(only when i'm irritated) and a feeling like 'my body cant handle those symptoms i need to cure it'. Even though i feel smoother than a few hours ago even with those symptoms now, i remember that yesterday i only had a mild depression and none of those symptoms, it was nothing unbearable. I would really be glad to hear your opinions, and sorry again for my english. Thanks a lot. I will give further information if needed

Last edited by a moderator:
Serotonin syndrome is an acute and very serious condition. It would have happened during your roll, not after and it would have landed you in the hospital without a doubt. You are suffering from normal after-effects of MDMA abuse. Don't roll multiple days in a row, that's a recipe for a serious hangover and probably very unhealthy). If you want to know what serotonin syndrome is like, read this

Basically serotonin syndrome is a rise of serotonin levels to dangerous heights. It doesn't even happen with MDMA alone normally, you'd need something like MDMA and an MAOI combined to stop the serotonin released by the MDMA from being broken down. So because of this it's not possible to suddenly get it after a roll when your serotonin levels have lowered again, but only during a roll or in cases of combined serotonergic medication and things like that. You are going to be fine. Wait it out and live as healthy as you can. Do lots of exercise, this really helps. Don't do drugs for a while. Eat healthy. And so on. You'll start to get better soon, it's not permanent, but every time you abuse MDMA it is going to get worse and it's going to take longer to recover. Also I don't think the 5HTP is going to help, if it doesn't make it worse even, though other members will probably disagree with me

Have you tested your drugs with a testkit?

Welcome to bluelight Tufi :D

^agree after your usage which is pretty heavy its normal that your a little off....lay off the X for a while and like BlueBull said you would have been in a hospital if you had it...be safe

This has calmed me down lol, well i dont like exaggerating things but i got worried when i faced a weird situation which i haven't experienced in my previous hangovers. (Btw i didn't test them but i will get a kit in a week or so) I guess it was kinda like a panic attack or low blood sugar, because i feel better now. Um what do you suggest about 5htp? I heard that mdma causes serotonin receptors to downregulate, then i guess 5htp can't help because my serotonin doesn't have a receptor to attach to? Should i stop taking 5htp? i guess i will be taking mdma again in summer so i wanna recover by then. and thanks a lot to you both! nice to see hospitable people!

No, it works a bit differently. 5HTP is a chemical precursor to serotonin, meaning the body can ultimately convert it into serotonin. It's just that I'm not convinced it actually helps with MDMA after-effects. It seems to help with depression by increasing serotonin levels but we don't even know lowered serotonin levels are at the basis of the after-effects you and others are experiencing.

Also I've heard one or two members that had their after-effects lessen for a while, to get worse once they started taking 5HTP, mainly the brain zaps. You're not going to hurt yourself, but me personally I wouldn't add another chemical into the mix when the after-effects I'm experiencing are likely caused by a chemical imbalance I do not understand.

Again, I'm sure there are people that will disagree with me, in which case perhaps I might learn something, I've only read one or two studies into this, so this is all just a layman's opinion :D healthy living and exercise has a much much greater impact, that I know from experience. It's really strange the impact daily exercise has on this. Even if it's just half an hour a day, intense exercise, try it for a week and you'll know what I mean. Really helped me in the past

Last edited:
Oh that reminds me of the article i've read yesterday 'the real cause of depression is not low serotonin', sounds interesting lol. Maybe 5htp is really subjective, my friend who i always roll with says he feels awful after 5htp, even though i find it helpful for me. thanks a lot for the info, tomorrow is going to be a uber healthy day i guess!

I have one last question, i guess i should ask this question on this thread because it's somewhat related. Last year, i wasn't informed anything about mdma at all, therefore had a severe crash, i couldn't just stand still and look at something, i remember asking myself 'i want to be normal person, so i need to pee like a normal person, but how is a normal person's facial expression while peeing?' lol, now i wonder that last year i had my serotonin depleted, extremely, but this year is different, but still my serotonin is 'depleted',right? I mean everyone in mdma hangover has little or no serotonin left, but then what makes one crash harsher than another crash? i.e i have a mdma crash, therefore i have 'low or no' serotonin, if i roll again now, i will still have 'low or no' serotonin afterwards in the next crash, but i will feel waaaaaaaay worse than this crash, why? Just curiosity, you know lol

Last edited:
my friend decided to roll again, and rolled about 9 times in two weeks

You fucked up right here. This isnt a drug to be taken multiple times. You now HAVE to lay off for years to become normal again. What were you thinking?! Relax, lay off drugs for a long time. You will never recover unless you wait years. Plus, mdma and 5-htp are supposed to be taken far away from a each other. Not days apart. Its very dangerous. Im not surprised you feel like shit.

This has calmed me down lol, well i dont like exaggerating things but i got worried when i faced a weird situation which i haven't experienced in my previous hangovers. (Btw i didn't test them but i will get a kit in a week or so) I guess it was kinda like a panic attack or low blood sugar, because i feel better now. Um what do you suggest about 5htp? I heard that mdma causes serotonin receptors to downregulate, then i guess 5htp can't help because my serotonin doesn't have a receptor to attach to? Should i stop taking 5htp? i guess i will be taking mdma again in summer so i wanna recover by then. and thanks a lot to you both! nice to see hospitable people!

doing too much mdma in one session or doing it too often is going to do two things (among others) : downregulate your receptors and your serotonin transporter one one hand and preventing your body from making lots of new serotonin for some time. the latter goes in two steps: converting the amino acid tryptophan you get from food to 5-htp (this is the step mdma inhibits) and then converting the 5-htp to serotonin.
the thing is that the great majority of the 5-htp, taken orally, is converted to serotonin long before it can reach the brain, and serotonin cannot get from the blood vessels through the blood-brain-barrier into the brain. so taking 5-htp after mdma is pretty pointless and might even be unhealthy (this could be by damaging the heart valves, though that's not proven and only relevant when you take 5-htp for a long peroid of time, but it's not impossible; also some people seem very sensitive to 5-htp and get weird side effects - again there's little hard evidence, but only anecdotal reports).