• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Help - Will I have another seizure? VERY scared!(HIGH dose Xanax)

mankind

Bluelighter
I got sucked in to xanax/klon/valium AGAIN these past few months. I don't say "sucked in" as a cop out, I take fulll responsibility.

It all started when my ex girlfriend gave me 100 2mg Klonopin after not seeing her for years. I went through them in about a week.

This was about 6 weeks ago. In average, I have been taking 20mg Xanax a day for about a month. Today I planned on stopping because whenever I use xanax, I star gambling like a maniac. In the past month alone I lost $30,000 in Atlantic City. Today I took 3 mg klon and 8 5mg Valium. I felt good all day till the evening. I caved in and bought a 30 pack of the green 2mg xanax bars.

So my tolerance AGAIN is between 20-30mg of xanax a day. But this time it's been for about 6 weeks. I've had two grand mal seizures on two separate occasions when I tried to stop xanax in the past (2 separate times). The length of use was for months, and years those times.

I truly want to quit this time though. I have on hand 20 2mg xanax and 22 5mg Valium.

Could someone please offer some advice on how to get off this poison? I was getting my life back in order and no0w it's going back down hill AGAIN. Loosing that money, family issues, etc.

How should I taper down so I don't have a seizure. I've been through the most BRUTAL heroin withdrawals, but the seizures scare the FUCK out of me because I know you can die from them. I am thinking of the following:

First 5 days: 5 2mg xanax
Next few days: five 5mg valium till I have 9 left
Last 3 days: three 5mg valium.

Does this sound reasonable? I have my suboxone Dr visit tomorrow and I need to come clean to himsince my last swab test will come up dirty for xanax. This swab will obviously come up dirty too. I also met a stripper in AC yesterday who had a bag mixed with molly and coke and like a moron being high on xanax I did the bag since she left it in my suite after she left (along with her sexy panties lol).

Anyway, I'm really scared about this. Is 6 months, say even 2 months of HEAVY xanac use enough for someone prone to seizures now? The first 2 seizures was after stopping an 18 months bender of 20-40mg doses (SHOCKED i"m alive - ended up in the hospital, plus I stopped suboxone at the same time so it was double trouble). A year later, I went on another binge for about 6 months at the same high doses - ended up having two grand mal seizures, but since my last 2 weeks of binge was using high dose valium, the seizures didn't occur till a week after stopping, which scared the shit out of me.)

Anyway, is 6 weeks of high dose xanax enough to have a seizure if I try to taper down? When I went to Atlantic City the past 4 days (lost $13,000) I was getting by on 7 2mg xanax a day. So 14mg will cover me so I am comfortable throughout the day. Of course after I just picked up the 30 pack I just ate 10 about an hour ago, on top of what I took this morning (klons/valium). As you can see I can write coherently and don't even feel too high to be honest.

I am just worried as hell about having another seizure. Xanax truly is the WORST drug I have ever gotten mixed up in and I have been a heroin addict for 15 years. This shit truly is POISON with a capital P. And now people are charging ridiculous priced for bars too, which is another thing that pisses me off.

Going to the hospital is almost out of the question at this point because I lost my job due to drug use and have no insurance, plus, shockingly, my family thinks I am doing well since I am a body builder and got my body back in shape and cleaned up my OUTSIDE dramatically.

Any advice, guidance, criticism, etc, is all welcome.

Sincerely,
Scared shitless

The hospital emergency room should be required to treat you. Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome is a potentially lethal experience. You have already had one seizure. Where do you expect this to go?

This is going to be a long term process of getting back to normal from this, but you can be okay. All you have to do is go to the hospital, they should be able to clearly identify the severity of your situation by taking your vital signs. Blood pressure and pulse are a large part of how the medical community determines the severity of your case.

Go to your nearest hospital immediately. Go to the emergency room, just do it. I know it's scary to go and tell everyone and the medical staff what you're going through, but it's the only way that you can be sure that you will be okay. A seizure is a medical emergency. Please go and update when you get your treatment.

I second keif go to the ER. Be patient with them as there are people there with bullet wounds and broken bones. They will stabilize and refer you to detox. Just follow through on everything, try to stay calm as getting worried and/or worked up will make the anxiety and stress worse. If you have sharp painful breathing, tight chest, and especially heart pain just calmly tell them and they will help you out ASAP. The heart pain thing especially speeds things up.

Xanax is not poison. At the risk of sounding like a dick, you were consuming about a month's worth of the stuff every damn day... you can't expect anything good to result from that. Benzos are very well-tolerated and come with an excellent safety profile... dependence liability is the only real drawback.

My advice would be to stop taking the Xanax and taper yourself off benzos gradually using something longer lasting. Xanax is a crappy choice - it's too short acting and as far as benzos go, it's a poor anticonvulsant (you need something that will protect you from seizures).
Diazepam appears to be the drug of choice for treating benzo dependence due to its long elimination half life.

There are sustained released xanax formulations that release long term. I doubt it would be likely to get them scripted, but they exist

Order some diclazepam if you are determined to taper off by yourself without medical intervention. I highly recommend the latter though.

Go immediately to the ER, or a detox/rehab that has medical professionals in it. Benzo withdrawal is serious and not something you should be attempting on your own. Good luck, and stay safe.

Today I took 3 mg klon and 8 5mg Valium. I felt good all day till the evening. I caved in and bought a 30 pack of the green 2mg xanax bars.

So my tolerance AGAIN is between 20-30mg of xanax a day. But this time it's been for about 6 weeks. I've had two grand mal seizures on two separate occasions when I tried to stop xanax in the past (2 separate times). The length of use was for months, and years those times.

I truly want to quit this time though. I have on hand 20 2mg xanax and 22 5mg Valium.

Could someone please offer some advice on how to get off this poison? I was getting my life back in order and no0w it's going back down hill AGAIN. Loosing that money, family issues, etc.

How should I taper down so I don't have a seizure. I've been through the most BRUTAL heroin withdrawals, but the seizures scare the FUCK out of me because I know you can die from them. I am thinking of the following

Anyway, I'm really scared about this. Is 6 months, say even 2 months of HEAVY xanac use enough for someone prone to seizures now? The first 2 seizures was after stopping an 18 months bender of 20-40mg doses (SHOCKED i"m alive - ended up in the hospital, plus I stopped suboxone at the same time so it was double trouble). A year later, I went on another binge for about 6 months at the same high doses - ended up having two grand mal seizures

Outrageous tolerance. Coupled to with history of Grand mal seizures during previous benzodiazepine withdrawal. You need an anticonvulsant. Go to the ER.

This is serious. Your rate of consumption of alprazolam is simply obscene, 20-30 mgs daily?? I am on 6 mgs daily and that's considered a high dose. If I were to just stop my xanax cold turkey at 6 mgs daily i would shake like an epileptic and I might die and you're on five times my dose. I can't stand the thought of what your withdrawals would be like. You really need to get to see a Doctor like now.

I am so fucked guys. Maybe I honestly deserve to die. I graduated from an Ivy league school (I don't say that to impress you), but to show you that I am a critical thinker.

I feel like my family would be so much better off without me, plus my dad would collect a shitload of money in my life insurance policy (I hope there isn't a clause in there for drug overdoses)

I will update. Thank you for your help.

Things will get better, but it will be hard. "My family would be better off without me", maybe as an addict, sure, it might make things a little easier, but the point is that you can get better. If you get better, walk the right path, cut the benzo's out in a medically responsible way, immediately and you will be fine. Are your in the USA or where are you located?

Your mind is going to be your worst enemy in this situation. I know your body is screaming too, but the fact that you're considering suicide is a good indication that the hard part has started. It will only get worse if you do not get detoxed by a medical professional. Please, just go to the ER, I'm literally begging you man.

I am so fucked guys. Maybe I honestly deserve to die. I graduated from an Ivy league school (I don't say that to impress you), but to show you that I am a critical thinker.

I feel like my family would be so much better off without me, plus my dad would collect a shitload of money in my life insurance policy (I hope there isn't a clause in there for drug overdoses)

I will update. Thank you for your help.

Yeah, I feel that way too sometimes. and yes, there are clauses for suicide(-al) drug (over) doses. Been there, thought that, to the point where when I was giving more than casual thought to it I didnt tell anyone of my plans lest suicide be ruled, and that insurance money goes bye-bye.

Personally, I think the death chance from benzo w/d to be highly overrated. My gf and I did high (not your high) doses of benzos and opiates for a long time, and we're still here and kicking. Get medical help for sure, in the US, you cant be refused treatment, and since so many fkn ppl have medical debts, it doesnt really affect your credit rating. Dont worry about paying for it now, your life is more important than some future monetary bill. Just make sure that if you go to a rehab it's a good one and not one that just 12 steps and is basically a 30-day hotel.

I don't have advice for this situation other than...listen to your gut. Go get help. Don't die. There is help, sweetheart, and you're worth helping.

Please be kind to yourself, AND STAY SAFE.

Peace.

Definitely go see a professional. You don't want to go down this road man. A taper that fast is not going to help you much if at all. You need to get put on diazapam and go from there. It may take a year to get off completely, but you'll be glad you did it in the long run. My heart goes out to you bro. I couldn't imagine the withdrawal you're about to put yourself in.

Bro.. u are a smart dude that got into a shitty situation.. u arent the first..
Go see a doctor. For real. Be honest.. they will put you on a realistic taper... or u will most likely die. thats a decsion you have to make.. i highly recommend staying alive, as you have no idea what amazing things the future will hold for you.. and secondly, i believe if u kill your body.. u will still be here.. u just won't have a body.. ie.. u will be a ghost.. a shitty condition to be in.

Xanax is not poison. At the risk of sounding like a dick, you were consuming about a month's worth of the stuff every damn day... you can't expect anything good to result from that. Benzos are very well-tolerated and come with an excellent safety profile... dependence liability is the only real drawback.

My advice would be to stop taking the Xanax and taper yourself off benzos gradually using something longer lasting. Xanax is a crappy choice - it's too short acting and as far as benzos go, it's a poor anticonvulsant (you need something that will protect you from seizures).
Diazepam appears to be the drug of choice for treating benzo dependence due to its long elimination half life.

What the fuck are you talking about? This drug carries one of the worst, if not THE worst withdrawals and life-ruining experience and typically lasts the longest [the w/d].

Had to object this post because I don't want someone to believe these drugs are safe.. and 'well-tolerant'.

What the fuck are you talking about? This drug carries one of the worst, if not THE worst withdrawals and life-ruining experience and typically lasts the longest [the w/d].

Had to object this post because I don't want someone to believe these drugs are safe.. and 'well-tolerant'.

Seriously lmao. Everyone thinks because you can't OD off benzos by THEMSELVES (Let's not even get into the fact that combining them with basically any other depressent increases risk of OD 100 fold), that they have an "excellent" safety profile, and are something to just be brushed off your shoulders.

Benzo's have THE MOST SERIOUS WITHDRAWALS out of every class of drugs. The paws can last LITERALLY YEARS of torture, and you can DIE from them lol. And you don't even need that big of a benzo habit to have a grand mal seizure and break your neck by day 2 if you try to quit cold turkey. Read up on gaba-receptor down regulation dude... Benzo's completely FUCK your brain chemistry up hard.

Benzo's take every problem you initially had when you started taking them, including that anxiety you are trying to fix, and put an infected bandage on it, which eventually makes the initial problems MUCH worse! And then your anxiety is 10x worse, you can't sleep anymore, and your fucking having seizures! How the FUCK is that an excellent safety profile? They make you a slave to the drug out of shear fear of the most terrifying withdrawals on the planet.

Last edited:
Are you in a detoxification facility yet OP? Bluelight helps a lot of people everyday with harm reduction information ranging from bad combinations to "is it safe to save cottons and then milk them later and shoot the solution?" etc. but this is not a problem that can or will be solved by an online forum. It's like asking what someone should do about their dope-overdosed friend, by the time we answer, to be brutally honest, they're probably gonna be fucking blue and getting cold.

We have a few spats with each other once in a while, but generally everybody on BL can feel a sense of empathy with someone going through this situation. A lot of us are smart (I'm not one of them ;) and find ourselves in situations that society tries to tell us are flaws in our deepest essence of character, but truly, most of us are treating a very serious comorbid psychological condition (major depressions, anxiety disorders, schizoid-type disorders) with our drugs of choice. Obviously, not everyone falls into this category, but, as usual, I have digressed.

We can't fix this. We can support the shit out of your emotionally, mentally and even provide with our own version of amateur-empirical "medicine", but we cannot monitor your BP, pulse and other symptoms and infer how bad you are. There is no shame in admitting you have an addiction or a mental illness, anybody who gives you a cross look or doubts the veracity of your human innocence should get fucked. If it's a doctor or a nurse who treats you with anything less than respect, you're gonna file a complaint. This is not the 1950's.

M'k, I'm in a bit of a hurry, & granted I don't get benzo wds.. But is it unreasonable to wait until you're just starting to experience wds then dose? Find some kind of benchmark where you're sitting at a happy medium?

Although scripted, it's a given I've never found benzos too alluring. Diff story with opiates though.

Haven't had time to read the entire thread, but how about the idea of pregabalin/nuerontin in high doses to prevent social anxiety/gAD, if that's what u suffer from?

Again, sorry didn't take the time to read, best of luck,

Rtp