Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Ibogaine - 8 Years Later

dl_engineer

Greenlighter
This evening, I was researching ibogaine, a medicine that I used once before, 8 years ago. Back then, I was a raver, a compulsive user of coke and amphetamines, and I also had a very serious drinking problem. Along with the substance abuse issues, I suffered from severe depression (largely because of the substances I was abusing) and things had reached the point where I was seriously contemplating suicide. The ibogaine worked as advertised, and 24 hours later I felt great, no depression, no withdrawals, no cravings, and a fresh, clear head.

So why am I posting about it now? Because one of the trip reports I came across tonight was my own, posted on Bluelight a few days after the experience! It is here, in the TR archive: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/302968-Ibogaine-800mg-First-Time-SAVED-FROM-ADDICTION

They say that hindsight is 20 / 20. They also say that ibogaine treatment is far more likely to result in long-term sobriety when the patient is over the age of 30; the experience of many ibogaine providers is that while ibogaine is incredibly effective in painlessly detoxing patients of all ages, those in their teens and 20s are unlikely to stay sober long term. Whereas when ibogaine is given to older patients with a long history of addiction (the classic cycle of multiple cold turkey withdrawals followed by the inevitable relapses), there is a far better chance that they will permanently kick the habit. Why? Nobody knows for sure, but I suspect it has a lot to do with the arrogance of youth, and the humility and wisdom that grows with age.

In the days leading up to my ibogaine experience in 2007, I was convinced that if the material was indeed effective at helping me to *get* off drugs, I would have no problem *staying* off drugs. If you read my report, you will see that it was highly effective - I got a full reset, in the sense that I no longer craved substances - and in the sense that my chronic depression and mood instability that had been caused my substance abuse was eradicated. I have always been scientifically minded, and thought that taking care of the neurological issues associated with my addictions were all that I needed to stay clean. In response to my report, many BL'ers cautioned that my successful ibogaine detox was just a beginning, that it was imperative that I do some serious psychological work on myself, in order to learn how to live a fun and satisfying life that did not involve the use of substances. Meanwhile, I was so thrilled to have a clear head again that I just started LIVING again, without much thought.

The next few weeks / months were nothing short of amazing. My career took off like a rocket - I went from being a sketchy, broke dropout who built the occasional website and lived in my parents basement to being the technical team lead at a social networking startup. I re-engaged with all the friends whom I had ignored over the last few years as my drug and alcohol use spiraled out of control - and I started dating again, since life was great and I had every reason to be confident in myself and proud of who I was. Of course, many of these old friends whom I reconnected with used drugs and drank alcohol socially, on the weekends. And I thought to myself, "Well, now that I've got my shit together it's time to have some fun - I can drink and use socially just like everyone else!" And for a while, I could - until I couldn't.

Of course, I inevitably ended up back where I'd started - a neverending cycle of binging, vowing to quit, quitting for a while, and falling off the wagon. I wouldn't say that the ibogaine had *no* effect, though - because I never really enjoyed substances the way I had before, and over the years I gradually lost interest in "partying" and the social abuse of substances. Eventually I quit partying for good - in the past two years, I haven't gotten drunk, nor have I touched coke / crystal / k - just like most of my raver friends, real life became challenging and fulfilling enough that the party lifestyle simply lost its appeal to me. This was helped by the fact that 3 years ago, I met an amazing woman - and though it's been bumpy at times, it's the first time I've been in a relationship that gave me more joy than I ever found from using substances / partying / sleeping around, and it just gets better and better!

Unfortunately, over the years, I had developed a nasty dependency on prescription opioids (morphine, oxy, etc); while maturity and motivation will do wonders for quitting party drugs and binge drinking, it is sadly not the case for these insidious little bastards that latch on to the pleasure centres in your brain and distort them, such that even after you make it through the acute withdrawal syndrome (something I succeeded at a number of times), you still have to deal with the endless PAWS - think of PAWS like a low-grade depression, with the primary symptom being an inability to experience pleasure. It makes me sad to think about all the wonderful adventures I have had in my career, in travel, and in love, where I knew I *should* be filled with joy, but I just wasn't. 2 years ago I very foolishly went on Suboxone maintenance - life was great for a while, until the subs destroyed my sex life, made me gain a bunch of weight, and eventually turned me into a fuzzy-headed, emotionally reactive "crybaby" (my theory is that I was suffering from low testosterone, as is common when potent long-acting opioids are used for a period of time). Last summer, I kicked the subs with the help of a kratom taper and moved in with my lady. After a few weeks of feeling pretty good though, the anhedonia returned in the fall - and despite a life that should have been blissful (a wonderful woman, an exciting new career opportunity, and an exotic vacation adventure), I felt flat, dead, lifeless - far worse than I ever had in the days before Suboxone.

I hung in there till January, but finally reached my limit for living life in muted tones of gray - and so for the past few months, I have been using opioids (mostly kratom, occasional pills) - with the result that I can once again experience pleasure from life - but at the cost of my sex drive, and a reduction in my ability to focus on complex intellectual material that is slowly getting worse. Plus I'm broke - Kratom is EXPENSIVE once you develop a tolerance - and it is incredibly frustrating to work long hours, earning a good 6 figure income, while repeatedly ending up in the situation of searching under sofa cushions for enough nickels and dimes to get a coffee on the way to work!

And so, I will once more put my trust in the healing spirit of Iboga - but this time I know that ibogaine will be only a beginning, a clean slate, a chance to build the life I want to have, and that I *can* have. I am incredibly fortunate and blessed to be gifted with technical skills, as it has allowed me to build a remarkably successful career from absolutely nothing, over the past 8 years. Once free from the financial and cerebral chains of addiction, I will be able to truly enjoy the fruits of my labor - I earn enough money that I will be able to simultaneously pay off my debts, live a rather nice lifestyle, and save for the future. I definitely have some work to do in this area - probably because my young adulthood revolved around drugs and alcohol, I never developed the habits of saving and budgeting that are second nature to most people. And I am no longer so naive as to think these habits will develop themselves - the year that I was on Suboxone, my financial situation nearly as bad as when I was using. However, with my clarity of thought restored - and the ability to experience simple pleasures to a greater degree - I believe that I will be able to create new habits for myself and create a degree of stability in my life. I deserve it, and my partner deserves it. I want nothing more than to marry her and spend the rest of our lives together, to have children, and to raise them with love, with acceptance, and with wisdom.

The ibogaine arrives next week - it is en-route from South Africa by courier; thankfully here in Canada, ibogaine is legal to import, to buy, sell, and use. I am familiar with dosing protocols and precautions for the type of chemical dependency I will be treating - so I am fairly confident that by sometime next weekend, I will be fully detoxed from opioids, without significant withdrawal. They say that the days and weeks after ibogaine are a critical time; ibogaine's active metabolite, noribogaine, hangs around in the body for up to 3 weeks, and it has the remarkable effect of increasing GDNF levels in the brain by 12x. GDNF is a molecule that signals to neurons that they should sprout new connections, repair damage - and perhaps, divide, and give birth to brand new brain cells. This process, known as neuroplasticity, is something that all human brains are capable of, with or without ibogaine - it is why there have always been success stories of long term, hardcore addicts and alcoholics, some with symptoms of brain damage, who got clean, stayed clean, and gradually repaired their brains through therapy and hard work. It is a long and arduous process; and for that reason, relapse is almost inevitable in substance abusers who quit cold turkey.

It is said that after ibogaine, it is possible to accomplish the rebuilding process described above, in a far shorter period of time, and therefore with a greater likelihood of success, because the patient will experience relief of the crushing anhedonia of PAWS before it drives them to relapse - if they even experience PAWS at all. But to make this happen, the ibogaine patient must have a plan for what they will do for the month or so following the treatment; it is necessary to immerse oneself in activities that facilitate the rewiring process, such as certain forms of therapy, meditation, art, music, sports, education, ...

Your suggestions and ideas are most welcome. I am lucky to have this second chance at a cure, and wise enough to know that it is not going to be easy - and that I must *listen* to the wisdom of others who have been there, who know people who have been there, and / or who know more about the brain than I do. And these describe the Bluelight community very well :)

Until next time (yes, I will certainly report on the actual trip as well),

Light Of Iboga

*DEAR MODS: I was "lightofiboga" when I posted the original report, however I cannot retrieve my password as I have no idea what email I used to create that account. I don't care about the username - but I would be very grateful if one of the mods could reopen / unarchive that thread and merge this into it - because everything I have written above is very relevant to the discussion in the original thread about how to stay clean long term after an ibogaine detox! Thanks :D

Last edited:
Good luck man. I did ibogaine just over a year ago to quit a 10-year addiction to opiates (incidentally, I was 30 years old, almost 31). It worked amazingly well, I did not experience PAWS and I haven't even craved an opiate since. The experience was providence for me, it improved my life in three very important ways (diet, exercise and no opiates), it's like I woke up from a long, dreary dream and became myself again. Some people I know say that their first iboga trip was the magical, life-changing one and ones after that were lackluster, but those experiences were not separated by more than a year. I believe you'll find what you're looking for because it's been 8 years, you're not the same person as you were then.

I would recommend being off opiates for as long as possible before doing it, and switching to kratom entirely also. I was on poppy tea and went off it a week before and used kratom when I couldn't stand it. Get rid of all the opiates you have beforehand so you can't convince yourself to do any during the reintegration period. Afterwords, do like you did last time and involve yourself in amazing things you love. And learn your lesson from last time: you can't start using substances again, no matter how much it seems like you can. :)

did you use any boosters afterwards...I am about to do iboga but in my mothers' house.

As someone who did a flood under 30, I can say I certainly fucked it up pretty rapidly. I also feel I never enjoyed things in the same way, and over the years of ups and downs I've used booster bits etc. Recently I detoxed myself off kratom with ayahuasca vine, time and a lil pcp. Why not ibo? I had used it previously for opiates, namely heroin. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but while using boosters to try to cheat the system I was made distinctly aware by "the ibo" that I was NOT to use it for opiates again, kinda like a "come on, I gave you a SERIOUS free pass, you gotta do it on your own this time" vibe. I listened, and actually did my first process w/opiates on my own. Now I am experiencing problems with tobacco and to a lesser degree marijuana, which are NOT opiat/oids as we all know. I plan on doing my next full flood as soon as I have a month away from all opiates and other chemicals of concern. Hopefully Ibo will graciously cleanse me again. This time I will put the experience to much greater use. Does anyone know if 500mg seems like a good detox dose for tobacco? I wanted to go somewhere in between full flood and just a boost...

Also, xorkoth - do you really think going full on the kratom is a GOOD idea? From my understanding the stimulating compounds in kratom make it markedly more dangerous with ibogaine. The clinics I am familiar with follow a pretty similar protocol for people on kratom: switch to morphine 10 - 30mg daily as needed for a week, do the ibo over the morphine so there's no concern of other alkaloid interaction. just my .02 Morphine is the classic gold standard for this, and closest to a natural opioid.

That may be best then, I don't know. I decided to go on kratom because I had been on poppy tea (which lasts quite a bit longer than pure morphine), which has a huge half-life and in general I have heard that the longer the half-life, the less likely you'll emerge with the physical addiction gone. I used it sparingly for a week leading up, instead of poppy tea, enough to not feel like shit. My experience was very comfortable, my heart rate didn't even increase. I had part of my dose as the TA extract which seems like the clear choice over 100% ibogaine HCl, gets more of the whole plant's spectrum and although I can't compare since I only did it that once, I have a friend who did a flood dose twice. The first time he did TA + HCl and had a beautiful, warm experience, and the second time he didn't do any TA and the experience was rough and uncomfortable. I don't always agree with the clinics. Someone from a clinic, by the way, told me codeine was the best because of its short half-life, rather than morphine. For sure you should not be on suboxone or methadone when you do ibogaine, as I hear it doesn't work so well for those.

Incidentally, that same friend used it twice for opiates and had the feeling that you only get one pass from ibogaine for that.

Not sure about lower doses... there seems like there's something special about flooding your receptors with that level of ibogaine. I think the sheer duration has something to do with it, or that's my suspicion anyway. Plus you go way deeper. 500mg will be strong, no doubt. It might work. Have there been studies done about use of ibogaine for other addictions? It seems tailor-made for opiates but on the other hand freeing me of physical dependence was only one of the many effects it had on me.

Finally I wanted to say that to me, ibogaine seems like an option for when you've given up on anything else working. This was the case for me with opiates. I had tried all sorts of things for 10 years and I just couldn't shake it. I actually accepted that I would never be off opiates before I decided to do ibogaine... I wanted to die constantly, and I felt my life was over or would never be good again. I truly believed this. You said you've been having problems with marijuana and tobacco... my advice would be to try whatever else you can first. I'd work on quitting one, then the other once you're clear of the first. I think using ibogaine whenever you're experiencing willpower problems probably isn't going to do a lot for you. For me, my one flood dose both erased my physical dependence to opiates and unlocked an inner strength in the aftermath, it woke me up from the long nightmare and insanity of a destructive addiction back into my real self, and I then worked to maintain that strength by improving my lifestyle. That's the reason I'm still opiate-free today. It's easy for me to be, no part of me wants them, but it's because I replaced them in my life with things I am passionate about, as well as good nutrition and exercise.

It's really interesting to hear this report Light of Iboga, thanks for coming back after 8 years with the update. This is a really good case study in addiction, and Iboga.

Good luck to you in overcoming your opiate addiction!
Congrats Xorkoth on staying opiate free, I imagine that must be huge.

It's definitely huge in my life, everything is so much different and better, and I'm a better person for it. I've been able to develop so much over the past year and a half (since April 26th 2014) into who I really am. It's actually been really easy though, I have literally never had a craving since my ibogaine experience settled in the day after my booster dose (which was 7 days after the initial flood dose). The idea of taking opiates again seems insane to me, and entirely undesirable.

Xorkoth, when you wrote your report about ibogaine I said I was going to comment but never did ( Im a lazy slug sometimes). But what I was interested in was if you were aware of how common relapse is after iboga therapy. Dl engineer sort of answered that, but would be interested if anyone had more info. I also wanted to know if it totally stopped acute withdrawal or if there were some lingering WD symptoms and if it erased PAWS. I know the chemistry, kinetics, and pharmacology of ibogaine is not fully understood but wanted to know how this unique substance could accomplish all those things. The neuroplasticity thing is interesting but never have seen data on this. I havent really looked much and was hoping you guys could fill me in. Makes me wonder if other agents could be utilized.

Anyway, dl engineer and Xorkoth, you guys give me hope. I am about 19 years in of opioid abuse. I have had long periods of abstinence at times but even then all I wanted was the sweet release of opiates and as soon as I got the opportunity, I immediately went back. Im doing pretty good right now but its grip on me will never leave I feel.

My flood lasted 3 days. Coming out of it, I was fragile (didn't realize in the moment but I was), and on the 4th day I was great, no withdrawal at all, I felt about as good as I'd ever felt (I went into it with some withdrawal). On day 3, due to not being watched sufficiently, I freaked out and took some kratom. Then on day 5, also for stupid reasons, I took some more, and I woke up on day 6 feeling minor withdrawal again. On the night of day 6 I took a booster dose, and on day 7 I woke up feeling withdrawal-y. But everything came together for me in this one crystal clear moment that day, and even though I felt withdrawal minorly for another 4 or 5 days, I did not have the slightest craving and I felt strong and happy. After it faded I experienced no PAWS at all and ever since things have been great. Had I been watched so someone could have had oversight of my behavior (and if I had just dumped my kratom beforehand), I do not believe I would have felt any withdrawal afterwards. I could be wrong since that's not what happened, but it felt that way.

By the way I was addicted to poppy tea, not kratom, I was using kratom beforehand to transition off poppy tea.

I agree especially for opioids the full flood is where it's at. I have no doubt I'll be able to quit marijuana pretty easily tapering(although it is crazy, 9 - 10 grams of flower + 2/3 of bubble hash and 1 gram of bho daily). Really tobacco is the problem. 20 years strong with no hope of quitting. I gotta do it, or it's going to kill me. My plan was to keep pursuing my health, ive been mostly off kratom, doing a lot of kung fu, eating right, not drinking, no coke or opiates. So it's really just tobacco left. I'm pretty realistic, the weed is just clouding, the tobacco is the problem :) anyhow, hopefully 500mg is enough for tobacco w/ds