• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is Gabapentin any good for anxiety?

It's actually prescribed off label for anxiety. Personally, It starts out as an anxiolytic and turns anxiogenic as it wears off. Not sure how common this reaction is though as I've never seen the same complaint. If by constant anxiety your referring to generalized anxiety then this is the type of anxiety gabapentin treats best.

Yes it will help with anxiety but tolerance gets to be an issue very fast..its best to take every few days instead of a everyday thing

Yes it works if you take it properly, there are many threads to explain how you do that. It is also true that tolerance builds quickly. You must take it the right way though or else it won't be all that helpful; so look it up before you start wasting pills.

IME Yes, but not in the way benzos do where you feel amazing and can do anything and talk to anyone. It's very subtle, at the beginning you may feel some recreational effects, like kind of MDMA vision, everything is bright and shiney, you will feel a mood lift and that you can talk to people and look them in the eyes and feel confident(or apathetic to what others think...which is kind of confidence)

TL;DR Yes it is good for anxiety, but not like benzos where you get a nice high/feeling from it, gabapentin really just works and does it's job of keeping anxiety away instead of inebriating you like benzos..., it's more for prevention then salvation during a panic attack

Honestly though Gabapentin is a bit old now and been replaced with Pregablin (Lyrica) as the leading med on that front... Lyrica is better and works at smaller doses... I take it 300mg twice a day for anxiety though worked up from 75mg. Still find I need some benzos to keep it fully at bay

Gabapentin is far better in Terms of Research done on it, while Pregabalin is not - as it's too novel. I'd them both, and i can tell from experience that Gabapentin is way better even though doses to be taken are much higher when compared to Pregabalin, as it's much more potent. The fact that Gabapentin doesn't have an impact on Male T-Levels and ones Libido is why i really despise it - while i hate Pregabalin with passion and for which patients are playing Guinea Pig (for Pfizer).

I totally get where you are coming from, for me accepting Pregabalin took a long time and I was prescribed it for months that I didn't take it... I then started to try recreationally and do a few at a time and found that quite enjoyable. As a result a month's script was disappearing fast and so the dose needed to be moved up. At 600mg / day now prescribed, which I don't really do recreationally anymore but rather more structured approach and it is working pretty well. I hate the side effect profile it comes with but I luckily don't seem to experience any of them, though after taking 300mg in the morning I could sleep all day if I chose to. Not much experience with gabapentin, but my doc said it was outdated and would not advise using it when pregabalin is readily available now. Though heard how much it costs if you buy outright and that's totally outrageous!

Yes Works PERFECTLY it can make you Energetic or least not tired UNLESS you did not Sleep very well then it makes u sleepy as fuck. But it woulds better then Lyrica because that shit knocks you out for sleep before it helps Anxiety or by time it does.

Lyrica's a funny one Thomas, sometimes it makes you sleep all day, other times it gets you going - really depends on whether you're in bed when you take it lol as then you'll just stay where you are :) definitely works for anxiety but severe anxiety needs low dose benzo supplementation too as I discovered. Just hard to get a doc to give you both at same time but over time they realise the need and allow it. Would like to try gabapentin to see the difference but it's not approved for anxiety here whereas lyrica is...

gabapentin is amazing for anxiety. the first time i used it i was the life of the party. its tolerance builds very fast so be careful with that. it does effect everyone differently. my friend felt sleepy off of it and i felt a stimulating effect.

^ I've no physical effects from GP, it just makes my tingling extremities feel normal again. Strange to believe there a ppl having Anti-Anxiety effects off it.