• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol increasing effects of codeine?

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
Would alcohol increase the effects of Codeine?

I haven't taken codeine/opioids for a while, so my tolerance has dropped...

So if I took 330mg Codeine (even though my tolerance is non-existent at the moment - normal dose I take without tolerance is 150-180mg) and 75mg Promethazine, and say a few cans of beer - would that cause oversedation?

It will cause respiratory depression.

Not advised. If you really wanna drink, I suggest one can of beer about an hour before you dose. Alcohol increases absorption in the stomach I believe.

I'd also drop the Codeine dose to lower than your normal dose if you wanna mix with alcohol.

That codeine dose is simply too high for any amount of alcohol and the promethazine will be enough to potentiate the codeine IMO.

It'll be best to leave out the alcohol. Codeine + Booze is nausea central. Codeine at those doses used to give me respiratory depression. I used to dose 300mg and one day I had a beer and it was unpleasant.

Another thing is I don't ever drink, like ever, apart from the smallest amount of wine at Christmas. I've never been drunk, so do you think it will hit me a lot harder than somebody, who say, drinks regulary?

Bro, are you still planning on drinking on the codeine? You have 0 alcohol tolerance and you wanna take a high dose of codeine with "a few cans of beer"?

I cannot advise you any further, you're asking to go into a coma...

Another thing is I don't ever drink, like ever, apart from the smallest amount of wine at Christmas. I've never been drunk, so do you think it will hit me a lot harder than somebody, who say, drinks regulary?
If you don't ever drink, mixing with codeine is asking for trouble. You may vomit, if your stomach is anything like mine.
So of course a few beers will make it hit you harder. I'm with PotatoMan and advise against it.

Wow... I'm trying to figure out if there are more counselors or actual fellow users on this site..
Yes, alcohol will increase the effects of opiates. It is actually very fun, however it is addititve. Fun is additive, and then chemical dependence can develop if you do it too regularly.

It will cause respiratory depression.

Not advised. If you really wanna drink, I suggest one can of beer about an hour before you dose. Alcohol increases absorption in the stomach I believe.

I'd also drop the Codeine dose to lower than your normal dose if you wanna mix with alcohol.

That codeine dose is simply too high for any amount of alcohol and the promethazine will be enough to potentiate the codeine IMO.

It'll be best to leave out the alcohol. Codeine + Booze is nausea central. Codeine at those doses used to give me respiratory depression. I used to dose 300mg and one day I had a beer and it was unpleasant.

I was told by somebody that 330mg isn't considered a "high dose"?

Okay, I'll leave the alcohol out. I guess I've had a really, really bad day and I just wanna... You know. :/