• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Neurochemical Explanation of the Anxiogenic Effects of THC/Cannabis

oh ive read something about that, it was about how THC inhibited GABA neurotransmission. for what i know, CB receptors are pre-synaptic receptors that when activated prevent the release of neurotransmitters such as GABA for example.

i don't remember the term, i guess it was 'cannabinoid induced suppression of inhibition', google it

oh ive read something about that, it was about how THC inhibited GABA neurotransmission. for what i know, CB receptors are pre-synaptic receptors that when activated prevent the release of neurotransmitters such as GABA for example.

i don't remember the term, i guess it was 'cannabinoid induced suppression of inhibition', google it

I was literally just on the shitter when the thought that it had something to do with GABA came to mind; then I read this post. Thanks for the info.

I don't know if anecdotal evidence is accepted, but cannabinoids aren't uniformly anxiogenic in everyone.

I don't know if anecdotal evidence is accepted, but cannabinoids aren't uniformly anxiogenic in everyone.

Most certainly, I can agree with that. However, especially in higher doses or those with no tolerance (see oral consumption - especially in novices), we see a consistent increase in paranoid, schizo-type effects. "Every move of mine is being scrutinized."

One contributing factor may be that THC increases release of dynorphin. The dynorphins are kappa agonists and are thought to be responsible for the dysphoric effects of stress.

Loss of dynorphin blocks the conditioned place aversion produced by THC in mice:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11717384